• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

Yes, itís true. The History channel and BBC Worldwide announced today that work has begun on an American version of TopGear, with US presenters fronting the new show.

The first series of ten episodes will air on History next fall (an American-only season not dissimilar to Ďautumní, we believe), though exact dates are yet to be finalised. It will be hosted by Tanner Foust, Adam Ferrara and Rutledge Wood.
http://transmission....gear-usa-alive/

Unfortunatly since Adam Carolla, who taped the pilot episode for a proposed series for NBC, is busy with a new pilot of his own, he will not be involved in this project.

The UK has had theirs for years, Australia has their own, and even Russia has Top Gear...now it's our turn...Hooray!! ^_^
Posted Image

#2 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:45 AM

This is also being covered on Final Gear

http://www.finalgear...in-carolla-out/
Posted Image

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

... History, eh?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. ß 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

View PostRov Judicata, on Apr 22 2010, 10:07 AM, said:

... History, eh?

I know, right?  Why doesn't THC just change their name to something more generic, like SyFy tried to do.

Edited by Datalyss, 22 April 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#5 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:17 AM

I hope you guys get a great group of presenters.  They make or break the show.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,510 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Honestly, there have been shows on the Speed Network that were similar way in the past. They were boring.  Just keep the original coming.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#7 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Jalopnik has an article up with some more details. The key points are this...

10.) They're Keeping Star In A Reasonably Priced Car
9.) The Show Will Be A Full Hour
8.) It'll Look Just Like The British Show
7.) Rutledge Wood Owns A Diesel Rabbit Pickup
6.) They Won't Pretend To Like Cars
5.) No One Can Fill Jeremy Clarkson's Shoes
4.) The American Stig Won't Be The Stig's Fat American Cousin
3.) Something Big Is Happening In The Mountains
2.) Expect It As Late As This December
1.) It'll Carry Over The Exact Same Format

Check out the article, as it really gives me a sense of something to look forward to. ^_^

http://jalopnik.com/...-what-to-expect
Posted Image

#8 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

I'm glad Adam Carolla isn't hosting. I don't care for him, and I hate to see him slouching his way into being America's all=purpose host -- and maybe finishing the 21st century as our Edward R. Murrows! Clearly, some marketdroid decided that a last name that starts with "car" and sounds like one of the most popular passenger sedans made him a subliminal shoo-in, but it just ain't so. [Ironically, I bet the same marketdroid decided that Toyota's recent troubles ruled him out]

In fact, I was really worried about the MSNBC-Universal offering for *many* reasons

For example, the US can be rather insular. Though the opinionated Top Gear crew may not always have been entirely fair to US models (or any other nation's, really), I valued their broader view. I wouldn't want to watch a show that focused disproportionately on American cars over other offerings, but it's hard for me to see MSNBC not influencing the Adam Carolla offering based on (potential) domestic ad revenue. I trust History Channel more. It was the first station to hold my attention when I got cable again (really for the broadband) a few years ago -- I flipped through the channels and stopped there... for two days straight! It remains one of my few "background music" TV stations today.

Further, Tanner Foust has serious -er- "street cred" in my book (Have you seen him drift Mullholland Highway? Anyone who's ever tried to drive that way, even on a go-kart track can't help but be blown away), but if they either marginalize him OR overemphasize extreme driving (both very real risks on US TV), I might lose interest. Since HIST is "background music" for me, I'd probably still 'watch' it despite flaws.

I don't really know Eric Stromer's work very well, but though I've enjoyed many renovation shows I'm afraid that no home renovation host has truly engaged me *as a personality* since Bob Vila and later Steve Thomas of "This Old House" [Sorry, Cait -- I really *did* give Mike Holmes a solid trial!  But even Bob Vila and Norm Abrams didn't hold my interest with "Home Again" and "New Yankee Workshop" -- and celebrity chef Cat Cora lost some if my respect with her kitchen renovation show). If I must have a carpenter in a car show (again, marketdroid obsession with subliminal syllables and sex [Carolla's sex-show, Stromer's looks], I fear), he'd better engage me with his personality, even if he has admirable talent in other entertainment fields, as a singer/songwriter and award-winning film comedian)

...unless he's going to do comedic musical numbers about cars. Now THAT I'd watch!

#9 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

Adam Carolla actually has quite an extensive knowledge on cars, and test drives new models all the time. His CarCast is very popular with gearheads, and is where we found out a lot of information about the status of the US Top Gear since we weren't hearing anything from BBC or NBC/Universal.

So while you may not like the guy personally, which is your right of course, don't discount his own 'street-cred'.

http://www.adamcarol...om/CarCastBlog/

Edited by RommieSG, 26 April 2010 - 11:55 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:15 AM

Yes, I've heard that Adam's a car fan -- and perhaps, having never heard his gearhead stuff, I dismiss him too lightly, but it's his "street cred" as a TV host that I question. And I'll freely admit that's a personal call.

I find Jay Leno affable and mildly amusing -- and he's a legendary gearhead completely out of Carolla's league (or almost anyone else's) -- the kind of guy who didn't just own a motorcycle built around a Bell helicopter turbojet, but actually rode it (about as often as a guy with 200+ vehicles, a regular nightly TV show, a busy comedy tour schedule, a monthly column in Popular Mechanics, a auto video site and occasional auto columns in other papers could be expected to drive *anything*).

Yet, though I can see a Leno motorhead show being watchable, I can't see it being Top Gear

#11 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

I'm going to have to side with Orph on no Adam Carolla.
I just Googled him because I had no idea who he was.

He reminds me of the auctioneer with the squeaky voice I avoid.
I listed to the one YouTube interview of him and had to kill him quick before his nagging tenor voice made my mind collapse to escape the din.

No amount of hype could get me to watch him for more then 2 minutes no matter how much information he had to impart. I'd wait for it to come out in print first.

Back to the subject, I don't think I'd be all that keen on watching an hour long ad for cars domestic or otherwise, unless I was in the market for one and too lazy to read the Car and Driver reviews.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#12 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

View PostD.Rabbit, on Apr 27 2010, 03:00 PM, said:

Back to the subject, I don't think I'd be all that keen on watching an hour long ad for cars domestic or otherwise, unless I was in the market for one and too lazy to read the Car and Driver reviews.
You obviously have never seen Top Gear before. Because it is far from a car ad. Waaay far from it ;)
Posted Image

#13 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

I won't put it in our TV room, because I haven't really checked out its full playlist, but this JTV channel has mostly Top Gear episodes, mixed with related content and movies. Right they're showing Clarkson [the main host] in a car vs. sled dog race to the North Pole (where no car has ever gone before), having a hard trek that I sure wouldn't want to be on

Snarky. Opinionated. Irreverent. Hands-on. No nonsense. Hmmm, now why would I ever think you might enjoy it?

#14 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:12 AM

Justin TV ah ha, it could be days before the ep you mentioned comes around again.
All I saw in the 14 minutes I watches was what I mentioned above, a couple of car ads, that I could have realize through Car and Driver without that chick pucking on the corner and the girls in cat ears sucking back champagne, talking about how roomy the car was.

Sorry you have not sold me yet.
Did like the front man though.

#15 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:26 AM

See if this changes your mind any, Rabbit ;)

Posted Image

#16 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for trying to convince me, but where was the comparison to the other small cars?
The ones I've heard about being produced in the far east.
Back to Car and Driver.

I did enjoy the clip but he didn't sell me on it.

I watched a few other clips the worst car in Vietnam produced by the Russians was an eye opener and the driving test in India where the traffic flow was likened to the kayos theory.
I'm sure I would enjoy it, but it would not be top of my list of viewing pleasure.

#17 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

*facepalm* Now I'm confused. You wanted proof that it wasn't just some Car Ad show, and when I show you a clip that it wasn't...you wonder where the car comparisons are...

When you figure out what it is that you are looking for, then I'll know what to show you. If you want a car comparison, I just watched the Audi R8 5.2 RSI vs the Corvette ZR-1, which was really quite good.

But to each their own, Top Gear isn't for everyone. It's the most watched program on the BBC, so I'm sure it'll get by without ya ;)
Posted Image

#18 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

I love the UK's Top Gear.  I love that English dry humor.  I don't care very much for Adam Carolla, he has an annoying voice and frat boy humor. Just can't beat the English version.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#19 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:10 AM

View PostEnkephalen, on 05 May 2010 - 09:42 PM, said:

I love the UK's Top Gear.  I love that English dry humor.  I don't care very much for Adam Carolla, he has an annoying voice and frat boy humor. Just can't beat the English version.

I agree entirely.

On a side note, I really wish I could be on this show.  This would be my dream job.  I love cars, especially putting them through their paces and no one does that better than Top Gear.  Oh well, there's one more dream that's just going to remain as just that...
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#20 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

I know nothing about cars. Actual conversation from when I was learning to drive:

Friend: What car are you driving?
Me: Uh...a silver one?

(It turned out to be a Renault Megane.) So, complete lack of knowledge/interest about cars. But, I LOVE Top Gear. Dave = best channel ever. It's not about cars. If you want help about which car to buy, don't watch this show. However, if you want general silliness, it's fantastic. It's allll about the tasks and races.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users