Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Offshore Drilling Disaster off Louisiana Coast

PB spill 2010

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet. I heard bits of this while I was getting my mom ready for the doctor, and they were covering it on CNN at the doctor's office.

link

NEW ORLEANS — Officials are saying that an explosion on an oil rig off the coast of Louisiana has the potential to be a major spill.

The Coast Guard is still searching for the 11 workers missing since the blast Tuesday. Survivors who escaped the blast have told company officials that they fear those missing were unable to evacuate.

The company has been unable to confirm those reports.

The platform burned for more than a day after a massive explosion Tuesday. It sank into the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday.

Crews have been searching by air and water for the 11 workers from the Deepwater Horizon, though one relative said family members have been told it's unlikely anyone survived.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

Officials are saying that the 11 workers missing since an explosion on an oil rig off the Louisiana coast may have been unable to escape the rig when the blast occurred.

Adrian Rose, vice president of Transocean, said Thursday that when some of the workers who survived were interviewed they said their missing colleagues may not have been able to evacuate in time. Rose says he is unable to confirm the reports.

The platform burned for more than a day after a massive explosion Tuesday. It sank into the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday.

How awful!! :( I hope those missing are found safe!! :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

As if the Louisiana Coast hasn't been hit hard enough!  http://news.yahoo.co...l_rig_explosion

I'm late posting this - I thought someone else would have, but in short, there was an explosion, at first it seemed with minimal environmental impact, and 11 workers missing.  NOW the rig has SUNK, leaving a 1 x 5 mile slick, taking with it 700,000 barrels of diesel fuel, and the 11 missing now presumed dead.  It's a nightmare.  

NEW ORLEANS – Eleven workers missing from an offshore oil platform may not have escaped after a massive explosion, officials said Thursday.

Crews continued to search by air and water for those missing from the Deepwater Horizon, which burned for nearly a day before sinking into the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday.

Adrian Rose, vice president of rig owner Transocean Ltd., said crew members who survived Tuesday's explosion indicated the missing may have been near the blast and unable to escape. Officials had hoped they might have been able to get to a covered lifeboat with supplies.

The rig was doing exploratory drilling about 50 miles off the coast of Louisiana. Rescue crews have covered a 1,940-square-mile search area by air 12 times and by boat five times.

Carolyn Kemp of Monterey, La., whose grandson, Roy Wyatt Kemp, 27, was among the missing, said family members have been told it's unlikely anyone survived. Roy Kemp would have been on the drilling platform when it exploded.

Well, of course one off-shore drilling disaster doesn't mean that all offshore drillings have to result in disaster, but I'm not personally feeling the whole "drill, baby, drill" thing, not even with Obama backing it.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

QT,

Didn't you see the thread I just started here?
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

Can QT's thread be merged with mine, please?
Posted Image

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

Obviously not, since our threads were started 3 minutes apart!  I was probably typing at the same time you were!  I'm fine with merging the threads.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Does anyone else see the irony of this disaster happening on Earth day?? :blink:
Posted Image

#7 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

View PostAnalog Kid, on Apr 22 2010, 10:05 PM, said:

Can QT's thread be merged with mine, please?

done :)

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

CNN says now that the 11 missing people on that rig are probably lost. :(

Damn. :(
Posted Image

#9 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:06 PM

Update on attempts to control the growing oil spill:

Robotic underwater vessels raced Monday to stave off an environmental disaster by stopping 42,000 gallons of oil a day from streaming into the Gulf of Mexico from a sunken rig.

A slick measuring 48 miles (77 kilometers) by 39 miles at its widest points has developed 30 miles off the ecologically fragile Louisiana coast since the rig sank last week following an explosion that apparently killed 11 workers.

British energy giant BP, which leases the stricken Deepwater Horizon platform, has been using four robotic submarines to try to fully activate the giant 450-tonne blowout preventer and shut off the flow of oil.
http://news.yahoo.co...energypollution

Options if the valve can't be tripped?

If the blow-out preventer does not seal off the well, the company intends to place a large dome directly over the leaks to catch the oil and send it up to the surface, where it could be collected by ships.

This has been done before, but only in shallow waters, Mr Suttles said.

Another alternative is to drill a "relief well" intersecting the original well, but he warned that this might take two to three months to stop the flow.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8643782.stm

Banapis

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

If they don't succeed in controlling that oil slick soon, it's going to cause a disaster for the oyster and shrimp fishermen. And if it reaches the white sand beaches of Alabama and the Florida panhandle--or if scores of oil-killed sea-life wash ashore--then people who gleefully shout "drill, baby, drill" would be wise to stay the hell out of the Gulf Coast region from now on.

Edited by Spectacles, 27 April 2010 - 10:57 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 27 2010, 11:57 AM, said:

If they don't succeed in controlling that oil slick soon, it's going to cause a disaster for the oyster and shrimp fishermen. And if it reaches the white sand beaches of Alabama and the Florida panhandle--or if scores of oil-killed sea-life wash ashore--then people who gleefully shout "drill, baby, drill" would be wise to stay the hell out of the Gulf Coast region from now on.

I listen to NPR every day at work. This morning, the reports appear to be FAR worse than initially predicted. :( Apparently, 5,000 barrels of oil A DAY are leaking into the Gulf. There are those who say that this could very well be the greatest oil leak in world history-perhaps the greatest man-made pollution disaster, ever. :fear:

Economically, this could end up being a thousand times worse than Katrina. :( Businesses that depend on the Gulf for fishing/shrimping could suffer catastrophic-perhaps permanent losses. Katrina brought many people to the brink of financial ruin. This could be the knock-out blow. :( :ninjadeath:

Edited by Analog Kid, 29 April 2010 - 07:36 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 27 2010, 11:57 AM, said:

My parents live in Pensacola and were big supporters of all that "drill baby drill" crap.  Haven't talked to them about this latest disaster yet, but I wonder if they've changed their tune now that it's doing such damage.

#13 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

It's leaking even faster now. :(

http://preview.bloom...n-estimate.html

A damaged BP Plc oil well in the Gulf of Mexico is leaking as many as 5,000 barrels of crude a day, five times more than previous estimates as the oil slick drifted the closest yet to shore, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

BP and federal officials have identified a third leak from the well and related piping, said Erik Swanson, a Coast Guard spokesman. The edge of the spill was 16 miles (26 kilometers) from Louisiana at 8 p.m. local time yesterday, David Mosley, a spokesman for the spill-response command, said this morning.

At that rate of leakage, by the third week in June it will exceed the 260,000 barrels the Exxon Valdez spilled in Alaska’s Prince William Sound in 1989, the worst U.S. oil spill. BP has been unable to shut valves at the top of the well and said a permanent seal may take three months. It plans to begin drilling another well to stop the leak as early as tomorrow.

“If they don’t get that well capped soon, this is potentially a Valdez,” Robert Shipp, chairman of the department of marine sciences at the University of South Alabama said in an interview. Alaska’s habitat, which has productive fisheries, “doesn’t compare with the tourist and the beach economies of the five Gulf states.”

More at the link.

As somebody who loves the outdoors and who especially loves the sea this is just a horrible tragedy for me. This is what naked greed looks like.

And Sarah Palin needs to have her face rubbed in this oil slick on national TV. I volunteer to help.

enTranced
Posted Image

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

View PostenTranced, on Apr 29 2010, 12:44 PM, said:

More at the link.

As somebody who loves the outdoors and who especially loves the sea this is just a horrible tragedy for me. This is what naked greed looks like.

And Sarah Palin needs to have her face rubbed in this oil slick on national TV. I volunteer to help.

enTranced

If that woman ever goes to a seafood restaurant on the Gulf Coast, I hope somebody dumps a quart of motor oil on whatever she orders.

#15 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

View PostenTranced, on Apr 29 2010, 12:44 PM, said:

“If they don’t get that well capped soon, this is potentially a Valdez,” Robert Shipp, chairman of the department of marine sciences at the University of South Alabama said in an interview. Alaska’s habitat, which has productive fisheries, “doesn’t compare with the tourist and the beach economies of the five Gulf states.”

As to the bold...um, bullsh!t. From what I'm hearing, the Valdez accident will be NOTHING compared to this, if it isn't stopped. :(
Posted Image

#16 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

^

To further emphasize my last post...

Based on what people have said-with a ship like the Valdez-as horrible as that accident was, you at least know how much oil is in it. With a oil well? The amounts might be thousands of times greater. :(

That scientist is WOEFULLY understating the scale this can grow to. :(

Edited by Analog Kid, 29 April 2010 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

enTranced: As somebody who loves the outdoors and who especially loves the sea this is just a horrible tragedy for me.

I'm right with you. My heart aches at the devastation that is headed for Mississippi Delta and those beautiful white sand beaches of the Alabama/Florida panhandle coastlines. This is going to kill so many marine animals and birds....And how long will it be before the region recovers from a spill like this? Anyone know?

I'm just sick about this.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#18 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

I also wonder how this will affect oil prices down the line-particularly for those who use home heating oil. :( That stuff is costly enough. Now imagine you have trouble paying your bills, and then have to deal with a skyrocketing oil bill due in part to this disaster. :fear:
Posted Image

#19 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Apr 29 2010, 08:11 PM, said:

enTranced: As somebody who loves the outdoors and who especially loves the sea this is just a horrible tragedy for me.

I'm right with you. My heart aches at the devastation that is headed for Mississippi Delta and those beautiful white sand beaches of the Alabama/Florida panhandle coastlines. This is going to kill so many marine animals and birds....And how long will it be before the region recovers from a spill like this? Anyone know?

I'm just sick about this.

Of the marine life there, I wonder how many are on the endangered list, and if any of these creatures can be pushed into extinction due to this disaster. :( Already, I heard on NPR earlier today about whales swimming through the oil sludge. :cry:
Posted Image

#20 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

:( This is terrible. :(

It's BP who were doing the drilling - British Petroleum - so I'm not sure how well the arguments about US oil strategies work in this context. And I have to say that the comments about Sarah Palin strike me as ridiculous, honestly. But I'd rather not get into that when this is REALLY not a political crisis but an environmental one.

perhaps the greatest man-made pollution disaster, ever.

What about this? The thought of it makes me want to... :barf:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 30 April 2010 - 08:36 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PB spill, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users