• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

First of all thanks to Captain Jack for making the last OTer of the week, this time the honor goes to FarscapeOne.

The Rules:
Here are the rules which should typically be appended to the new thread:

1. The current OTer of the Week chooses the next OTer of the week and starts a thread in their honor.
2. That person's week in the spotlight runs from Monday to Sunday, after which a new OTotW takes over.
3. To keep this interesting please choose someone with whom you typically disagree here on OT, and also someone you don't know well. We'd hate to see it get clubby.
4. Current OTotW should set about picking a successor within a few days in case the search for a new OTotW takes awhile. And also so that person can prepare and write a brief bio like this week's OTer of the week did below.
5. Have fun, and LEARN about each other.

My name is Barry, and I live in Miami, FL. Done so my whole life. I have also been a scifi fan my entire life, starting with STAR TREK. I also greatly enjoy horror and fantasy. I will be 31 yeasr old at the end of this June. I am a huge classic rock fan... pretty much the only music I listen to, really. Anything from the 60s up until the early-mid 90s... after that, I feel that music, rock in particular, has just turned to utter garbage.

I greatly enjoy classic black and white movies. I certainly have not seen all there is, but I welcome any and all chances at viewing those classics. I find there is something more magical with black and white versus color... particularly with horror, it gives a greater sense of actually being there, and can be quite menacing with the way they used shadow and light.

Speaking of my mom, my family. Quite literally, she is the last one left. I do have relatives throughout the country, but they are not really FAMILY. My family was really only 3 people... mom, nana and pops. I am an only child. Nana and pops were my grandparents from my mom's side... I was particularly close to nana. Her and I were a team in every regard... in fact, that is how I learned how to cook, by helping her out in the kitchen at an early age. She was diabetic, and had a LOT of other health issues. She later got to the point, because of diabetes and various other issues, that she could barely get from her chair in the living room to the bathroom. I did my best to help her as much as I could every day. I gave her a promise many years ago that as long as she was alive, I would be by her side, no matter what. I make it a point of personal pride that I have never broken my word to anyone. Even though people these days seem to not value a sense of integrity, I like to think that is one of the things I hold most dear. I lost nana a week before Thanksgiving in 2005, and for a long time, I felt like it was my fault that I wasn't good enough to keep her alive longer. But I later came to finally realize that no one lives forever, a fact I knew years ago, as I lost pops to lung cancer when I was a senior in high school... he was the closest thing to a father that I ever had.

I also consider honesty to be a very valued commodity, as I am honest with everyone. I prefer to be that way, and it has gotten me in trouble from time to time, because I sometimes have no diplomatic skills whatsoever. I also prefer people to be honest with me, especially if I come off the wrong way or offend someone, because sometimes I do that without realizing it. This way, I can prevent it from happening again.

I also have the reputation to a number of people, including a bsg forum that I have been part of for years, as someone called "Factoid Man". I have a vast memory of scifi/horror/fantasy series... I have entire episodes and entire series all but entirely memorized. A walking encyclopedia of scifi knowledge, one of my friends called me. I take pride in being able to answer any and all questions about anything in that realm.

I also collect dvd box sets of scifi/horror/fantasy series. I currently have 452 sets containing over 7,300 episodes and 100 movies across 146 different series. And it continues to grow...

I go to DragonCon every year for the last 4 years. So if anyone goes there, look for me!

I am a pretty open person, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll answer!
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

What sort of work do you do? I'm an only child, too. Did you regret not having siblings?

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

I work for Edy's Ice Cream... well, technically Nestle, since they became of property of Nestle about 6 years ago.  I'm Pre-Sales, which is a long winded term for vendor.  You see the Coke and Pepsi guys in the supermarkets ordering and stocking the shelves?  That's me, except with ice cream.

I do the Nestle, Edy's and Haagen Dazs... at this point in my stores, roughly 50 percent of the ice cream section.

Before that, I worked for Publix for a little under 7 years... virtually the entire time in frozen foods, the last bit of time in dairy.  And up until I started Edy's, I worked 2 or 3 jobs at one time, while working for Publix, for close to 6 years.  Kept me quite busy, as you might imagine.

Considering I REALLY hate the heat and the sun, it's the best job for me.  And given that so many people have said I look a lot younger than my age, maybe it has been a sort of cryogenic preservation.   :D

Do I regret not having siblings?  Sometimes, I do wish I had a brother or sister.

Actually, I grew up with NO friends... I learned to be able to entertain myself and the value of alone time in my teens.  To be honest, a lot of it was my fault... as my best friend says, I march to the beat of a different drum.  I always hated how everyone was like everyone else when I was a kid, so I guess the defiant side of me decided to be as different as possible and to stick with it.  At least I never gave in to peer pressure, something I have to say I am proud of.

But a lot of my friends have siblings, nearly all of them, in fact.  Seeing how they are with each gives me a glimpse into what it might have been like... sometimes I wish I had siblings, other times I am VERY happy I was an only child.

To answer simply... I can't really regret something that I had no control over.  I regret things from my past, only because I have felt that regret means it is something that you have at least SOME control over.  Since I had no control over that, I have to answer no.

Edited by FarscapeOne, 08 May 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for being OTer of the week FarscapeOne :D Questions: I haz dem.  :ninjadeath:

When you say 'classic rock' - are we talking The Beatles? Oasis/ Stereophonics/ Cranberries? That sort of thing? Or is it heavier, or more varied (including things like folk rock, pop rock, prog rock)...or something else?

The best black and white films ever, imo, are (in no order): Metropolis, The Seventh Seal, Casablanca. Discuss. :hehe:

I think it's very possible to be honest and tactful - tact isn't dishonesty by a long shot. I just did a questionnaire that said "Are you honest, or tactful?"  argh!! Both! I try never to lie, but I also consider unnecessary rudeness to be one of my pet peeves. There's no situation where you'd have to decide between tact and honesty imo. Sorry went off on a mini-rant there :blush: S'more questions:

Are you content?

Do you have a partner?

How similar are you on and offline?

Thanks very much :)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

My definition of classic rock... Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, old school Aerosmith, Boston, Foreigner, etc.

I also love the 80s hair bands... Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison, etc.

Black and white films you mentioned... good choices.  I have never METROPOLIS, however, so I have no opinion of it.  I want to check it out, and it is on my list.  I don't really have a top list of black and white movies, it's just the era I loved.  That was back when actors REALLY acted... the era of the character actor.  They are few and far between these days

As for being tactful, I sometimes forget to be that way.  I do, however, have to disagree that it is always possible to be honest and tactful.  There are times that I have found that someone just doesn't get the message unless you forget about tactfulness.  Sometimes, I end up doing that without trying to be less than tactful... it just happens.

Am I content?  Not exactly sure what you mean by that.  Clarification, please.

A partner?  My girlfriend is the best one I have ever had... far better than my previous one.  We will have been together a year in July.

My on and offline persona are pretty much the same.  On the bsg forum I frequent, we have our characters and our 'sponsors'.  "Sponsors" are what we call our real life selves.  I tend to keep my on and offline selves as close to being the same as possible... it's not lack of imagination or anything, I just find it easier for other people so there is no confusion about anything.

And thank you for the questions.  I have to say, this thread is kind of fun.  I'm open for more!

Edited by FarscapeOne, 08 May 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Def Leppard. Sheffield band :cool: :D

Am I content? Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Clarification, please.

Are you mostly satisfied with how life is going, I guess :) Mostly happy and comfortable with life each day.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on 08 May 2010 - 05:56 PM, said:

Am I content? Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Clarification, please.

Are you mostly satisfied with how life is going, I guess :) Mostly happy and comfortable with life each day.

Sparky

Yeah, I pretty much am.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT'er of the week, FarscapeOne, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users