Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Tobacco Company Offers Lifetime Cigs to Celebs

Tabacco

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of this campaign? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of this campaign?

1. Fair marketing strategy (15 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Unfair marketing ploy (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,316 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:14 PM

Apparently - in an effort to attract adult smokers, this company is offering lifetime cigs - it seems that they want the celebs to go smoking at posh clubs and such.

http://story.news.ya...lth&cat=Smoking

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 02 September 2012 - 03:28 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:23 PM

I heard about this on the radio.

It's an absolutely brilliant marketing strategy. I wish I had thought of it. I don't see how it can be unfair. 'Free samples' and 'celebrity endorsements' have a long tradition; this is just the logical merging of the two

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 07 August 2003 - 05:23 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:41 PM

I don't think it's either fair or unfair.

It's not about fairness for me-- it's about covering their asses.

"Lifetime cigarettes" make it a shorter lifetime.

My opinion, at least.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 07:53 PM

Good ploy I have to say on their part.  I don’t see anything legally wrong with it though it does hit a nerve considering how much I despise smoking.  

Money Quote: Freedom paid covert actresses, called "leaners," to smoke the cigarettes in Manhattan bars and nightclubs for several weeks this spring in a New York effort to promote the fledgling brand, company spokeswoman Nancy Tamosaitis said.
Not in this state any longer buckos. ;)

"We're not looking for B*rn*y to be our celebrity and start smoking," Carroll said.
Talk about avoiding the subject.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:06 PM

the'Hawk, on Aug 7 2003, 05:41 PM, said:

Anything that shortens the lifetimes of celebrities is fine by me!  :D

(j/k)

#6 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:12 PM

In the United States, folks boast about drug busts, that kids should say "no" to drugs, condemn places like Columbia for exporting illegal drugs-and yet we export tobacco, which is just as deadly as cocaine and heroin. All three kill-but tobacco is legal, and the other two are not. Tobacco just takes longer to do you in. But all three can put you six feet under. And yet I'm willing to bet we make more money-BLOOD MONEY-from tobacco than all the countries combined who export wares like cocaine and heroin to the U.S.

The blood money made from tobacco funds many infrastructures in the U.S. And my understanding is that it's also a big stick that is wielded in U.S. politcs.

And yet-I've NEVER heard any of this brought up by ANYONE.

Hey-who cares if it's BLOOD MONEY?? Gotta buy that dream house on that island in the South Pacific.

:sarcasm:

Saul

Edited by Vapor Trails, 07 August 2003 - 08:12 PM.

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:59 PM

the'Hawk, on Aug 7 2003, 03:41 PM, said:

I don't think it's either fair or unfair.

It's not about fairness for me-- it's about covering their asses.

My opinion, at least.

:cool:
We COULD just consider it evolution in action.  :p  :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,316 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:42 AM

Thank you everyone.  I had trouble with this one.  For very good reason - cigarette smoking in the movies and on television has been curtailed.  Now this company has found a backdoor.  In all the essentials - this is a fair marketing strategy - it breaks no laws, circumvents the issues the censors would complain about - and is coming in a time of awareness - those celebrities who DO take the offer are not ignorant of the truth of cigarettes.

Having said that - look at who they are preying on? People who would do something just because a celebrity showed up to a club doing it are people who are very vulnerable.  I'm dismayed by this campaign, and the moral implications of feeding deliberately off of the worst in human nature.  

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#9 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:09 AM

QueenTiye, on Aug 7 2003, 10:42 PM, said:

Thank you everyone.  I had trouble with this one.  For very good reason - cigarette smoking in the movies and on television has been curtailed.  Now this company has found a backdoor.  In all the essentials - this is a fair marketing strategy - it breaks no laws, circumvents the issues the censors would complain about - and is coming in a time of awareness - those celebrities who DO take the offer are not ignorant of the truth of cigarettes.

Having said that - look at who they are preying on? People who would do something just because a celebrity showed up to a club doing it are people who are very vulnerable.  I'm dismayed by this campaign, and the moral implications of feeding deliberately off of the worst in human nature. 

QT
((((((QueenTiye)))))

"To be honest, celebrities make or break your brands."  A quote from the article.

How else is the cigarette industry going to advance itself? These days, ethics in advertising is almost nil, not far from the old days. But you know?, I've never heard of the brand that is promoting this....Cigs cheaper than cheap taste cheaper than cheap, and make you HACK horribly, among other things in the long term, yadda, yadda...Who are these people and why do they want our most vunerable except to make money?
QueenTiye stop it, before you tickle me into being an activist who gets nothing but hell from most everybody !! :p Being a fresh, new, shiny, non-smoker, I can be quiet and I can be loud, you just prompted my loud.  :devil:

Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#10 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:25 AM

QueenTiye, on Aug 8 2003, 05:42 AM, said:

Having said that - look at who they are preying on? People who would do something just because a celebrity showed up to a club doing it are people who are very vulnerable.  I'm dismayed by this campaign, and the moral implications of feeding deliberately off of the worst in human nature. 

QT
The irony of what you said is that Arnold Shwarzenegger is going to run for governor of California-and he might win because of the roles he's played in movies.

People looking up to celebs because they are "cool."

Vulernable? More like lacking in intelligence.

"Gee-John Belushi speedballed himself to death, so I will too."

Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a.

:sarcasm:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 08 August 2003 - 02:26 AM.

#11 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:43 AM

QueenTiye, on Aug 7 2003, 10:42 PM, said:

QT
Isn't that what all 'luxury item' marketing does?

One could go down a similar path and bemoan the fact that people are going to eat more hamburgers and fries because of whoever they have endorsing their products (They use celebrities on a regular basis... usually sports stars... but I'm blanking). The entire point of marketing is that the campaign is designed to overcome our will. This is merely the logical extension of that.

Further, I doubt this will increase smoking among celebrities; they don't need free cigarettes. If somebody is going to smoke because celebrities do it, this campaign won't change that; at most, it will change their brand of choice.

JMTC.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#12 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:48 AM

Good marketing plan, and nothing unfair about it.

People need to take some personal responsibility when it comes to the things they do to themselves, and if a few celebrities smoking free cigarettes really convince a significent amount of people to start lighting up, then we have a lot more to worry about than how the tobacco companies advertised (it's not like their using subliminal messaging or brainwashing).
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#13 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:58 PM

From Patrick Carrol, founder of Freedom Tobacco.

[/quote]
Tobacco’s not for everyone, but it’s not the evil weed that many portray it to be. It’s been demonized for its association with ‘Big Tobacco’.
[/quote]

I think it's been demonized for it's association with Lung Cancer.

The Surgeon General's warning appears on the same page as this statement.
Can't Touch This!!

#14 Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf

Custom Title

• Islander
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:41 PM

That's very creative... I wish I had thought of that.
"Now Timmy, you look right into this Rocket engine while i stand behind this lead wall... We're gonna need another Timmy!!"
- Mr Lizard

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users