• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 White Tiger

White Tiger

God, The Universe and everything...

• Islander
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hey there, Americans! I'm sure, by now, many of you have had some time to reflect on the massive, unfolding Deepwater Horizon oil disaster and thought to yourselves, "My, that really is a terrible, apocalyptic cock-up!" But have you gone so far as to think to yourself, "My, that really is a terrible, apocalyptic cock-up, the costs of which I should logically be burdened with, because I am responsible for everything that happened?" No? Well, you should maybe start thinking that way, because the U.S. Chamber of Commerce thinks you should!
http://www.huffingto...s_n_607748.html

Im canadian...but I figured this should be posted
Hatred ever kills, love never dies such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred.
M.Ghandi.
And the ONE MILLIONTH POSTER ON EXISLE!

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

Ah yes, Tom Donohue, the guy who threatened us if we dared elect a Democrat in 2008.    :suspect:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:22 PM

Taxpayers should only have to pay for it if BP goes under.  BP is responsible for the oil spill, thus they should be responsible for the clean-up.  It makes a certain amount of sense for the government to step in and help to get it cleaned as quickly as possible, but the costs of that should be a loan that BP has to pay back if they want to continue doing business in the US.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#4 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:02 AM

How are taxpayers responsible for the oil spill?  That's right, they're NOT.  Let's take it out of the US Chamber of Commerce's payroll and see how appealing that idea is to them?  ;)  Like that will ever happen, lol.  BP is in no way of going under either.  In fact, their stocks actually went up as of Thursday.  So I have no doubt they can afford this and I am in no way going to feel guilty for their disasterous mistake.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#5 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:41 AM

It is generally not the practice of this country to change the laws after the game," said Tom Donohue, the president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

It sounds to me like this is referring to the laws in place which state that the oil company only have to pay up to a certain amount of the clean up bill before the state starts paying.

Of course the the rest of the articles shows how he stated that it's tax payers money that should be spent but isn't this what the law requires? It's not necessarily his own personal preference.

Now before anyone starts shouting at me I think oil companies should ALWAYS have to pay the COMPLETE costs of cleaning up a spill. It would make them much more worried about them not happening in the first place. I do think that this article is trying to kick up a storm and make people angry about someone in a position of power talking about the law. Not kissing the backside of big business.

I do also think that changing laws and applying them retrospectively can be a dangerous precedent to set.

#6 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

b*llsh*t.  Er....horse pucky.

Edited by Rhea, 11 June 2010 - 10:05 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#7 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

I'm with Rhea, no effin' way.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BP Oil spill, Disasters, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users