• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

Link

BP chief executive Tony Hayward took a day off Saturday to see his 52-foot yacht "Bob" compete in a glitzy race off England's shore, a leisure trip that further infuriated residents of the oil-stained Gulf Coast.While Hayward's pricey ship whipped around the Isle of Wight on a good day for sailing breezy and about 68 degrees anger simmered on the steamy Gulf Coast, where crude has been washing in from the still-gushing spill.

"Man, that ain't right. None of us can even go out fishing, and he's at the yacht races," said Bobby Pitre, 33, who runs a tattoo shop in the crossroads town of Larose, La. "I wish we could get a day off from the oil, too."

BP spokespeople rushed to defend Hayward, who has drawn withering criticism as the public face of BP PLC's halting efforts to stop the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

Company spokesman Robert Wine said the break is the first for Hayward since the Deepwater Horizon rig BP was leasing exploded April 20, killing 11 workers and setting off the undersea gusher.

"He's spending a few hours with his family at a weekend. I'm sure that everyone would understand that," Wine said.

He noted Hayward is a well known as a fan of the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race, one of the world's largest, which attracts more than 1,700 boats and 16,000 sailors as famous yachtsmen compete with wealthy amateurs in a 50-nautical mile course around the island at England's southern tip.

"Bob" finished fourth in its group. It was not clear whether Hayward actually took part in Saturday's race or attended as a spectator.

"It is not clear" whether anyone at BP understands how offensive this must be to the people are losing their livelihoods due to the spill and the people who died when the gusher blew.  "It is not clear" whether anyone at BP has more than half a brain. Posted Image Posted Image

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:45 PM

I am always amazed at how Americans view class issues.

The BP CEO, like any other hyper-rich person, really only cares about his wealth and how it makes him feel.  After all, he would never be caught anywhere near the smelly poor people of the American deep south.

He really doesn't care, and never will, about any of the "little people".  Even when he gets fired, he will still be rich for the rest of his life, and still won't care about the "little people".  He may even land another high paying CEO job at a high profile corporation within a couple years.  

None of his successors at BP will care either.  They only care about putting this story out of the public eye and getting on with business.

How can this possibly be a surprise, a shock, or anything other than completely predictable?  This has been going on since at least Ancient Rome, and possibly as far back as Ancient Egypt.

The southern states have been destroying their coastlines for decades, so it is just a little hypocritical not to point out the role they played in supporting the oil companies, and voting against protecting the environment, against worker safety, or even for their own self-interest.  "Drill baby drill!!" was a way of life, not just a motto.
www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:35 AM

But, did he have to go...SAILING????

Couldn't he have, I dunno, gone off to some cabin or something?  I mean SAILING????  Talk about rubbing it in how little he cares!
Posted Image

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:08 AM

It's a bit in your face I agree.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:19 AM

View PostZoxesyr, on 19 June 2010 - 11:45 PM, said:

I am always amazed at how Americans view class issues.

The BP CEO, like any other hyper-rich person, really only cares about his wealth and how it makes him feel.  After all, he would never be caught anywhere near the smelly poor people of the American deep south.

He really doesn't care, and never will, about any of the "little people".  Even when he gets fired, he will still be rich for the rest of his life, and still won't care about the "little people".  He may even land another high paying CEO job at a high profile corporation within a couple years.  

None of his successors at BP will care either.  They only care about putting this story out of the public eye and getting on with business.

How can this possibly be a surprise, a shock, or anything other than completely predictable?  This has been going on since at least Ancient Rome, and possibly as far back as Ancient Egypt.

The southern states have been destroying their coastlines for decades, so it is just a little hypocritical not to point out the role they played in supporting the oil companies, and voting against protecting the environment, against worker safety, or even for their own self-interest.  "Drill baby drill!!" was a way of life, not just a motto.

What Zoxesyr said. Particularly, what I bolded.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:19 AM

edit-computer hiccup.

Edited by Analog Kid, 20 June 2010 - 03:22 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:26 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on 20 June 2010 - 02:35 AM, said:

Couldn't he have, I dunno, gone off to some cabin or something?  I mean SAILING????  Talk about rubbing it in how little he cares!

Very true-although given how hated he is, ANY form of recreation would have been viewed with fury.  And given that the press is watching him like a hawk, do you REALLY think he could POSSIBLY hide what he is doing, no matter what it is?

:eh:
Posted Image

#8 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 20 June 2010 - 03:26 AM, said:

View PostBad Wolf, on 20 June 2010 - 02:35 AM, said:

Very true-although given how hated he is, ANY form of recreation would have been viewed with fury.  And given that the press is watching him like a hawk, do you REALLY think he could POSSIBLY hide what he is doing, no matter what it is?

:eh:

Very true....

Are people going to be as outraged that President Obama was out golfing yesterday too?  (per ABC news this morning)Something that he has been criticized for doing previously several times since the BP oil disaster started.  

The only thing that makes Hayward's situation stand out more is that owning, let alone racing,a yacht is more of an elitist thing.

Edited by trikay, 20 June 2010 - 07:50 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#9 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

Thank God there wasn't any oil in the water that surrounded the island where the race took place.
It would have been a real tragedy if the hull of that beautiful $700,000 yacht had been stained!

Oil in the Gulf?
Not that much of a problem ...
since it can't bee seen ...
from Mr. Hayward's house!
Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#10 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

this is one of 'those' headlines and stories, for inflame, for Outrage with a capital; just play on emotions.

but my Henry Higgins voice, 'I ask you sir' :

he is CEO of a largely financial company, executives, annual reports, not some expert in oil cleanup > and he's a man with a rather full schedule eh? in places in the world far from the Gulf?

if he would shelv his whole sched and life and just camp out on a shoreline in Louisiana 24/7 what could he really do? he doesn't lead cleanups for a career, he doesn't roust government resources for a career, he doesn't rebuild wetlands for a career
_ would make no improvement difference at all.

People have made him much too much the face of all this, too personal, as if the whole BP is all just him > the chairman was right to pull Hayward from the 'face' of the mgmnt of the response > and maybe have 'press correspondents' like the White House does, to give all statements.

The man's son was at Isle of Wight, and his own boat was racing , he had this on his sched, so he went

way to Personal outrages on him lately, and this headline, and yes the Daily Mail pumped it to all out hell, just contributes to the STOKING of the flames eh?

but I do understand > and so I understand the chairman's move
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

How could he help? Let me see...he could go help wash oil off the birds he's killing. Oh, wait, that was a rhetorical question, right?  Posted Image Because I could come up with a number of ways he could help make an appalling situation better, but none of them would appeal to Mr. I-Want-My-Life-Back. Posted Image

Edited by Rhea, 21 June 2010 - 09:11 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#12 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

View Posttrikay, on 20 June 2010 - 07:21 AM, said:

Are people going to be as outraged that President Obama was out golfing yesterday too?  
People who are scared to death that we could end up with a GOP Congress in November, waiting in the wings to overturn BP responsibility for the cleanup and rubberstamp even more corporation deregulation madness, won't be.  

The only thing that makes Hayward's situation stand out more is that owning, let alone racing,a yacht is more of an elitist thing.
The only thing?  Srsly?     :rolleyes:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

BP's CEO plays the fiddle like Jack Benny. :p :p
Posted Image

#14 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

View PostNonny, on 22 June 2010 - 10:13 AM, said:

View Posttrikay, on 20 June 2010 - 07:21 AM, said:

Are people going to be as outraged that President Obama was out golfing yesterday too?  
People who are scared to death that we could end up with a GOP Congress in November, waiting in the wings to overturn BP responsibility for the cleanup and rubberstamp even more corporation deregulation madness, won't be.  

The only thing?  Srsly?     :rolleyes:

In comparison to playing golf....yes.

I know quite a few people who are not rich who do play golf...not too many folks who have a yacht or attend yacht races.

Everyone can scream and yell about Hayward going to a yacht race.  Is he totally supposed to stop doing anything but apologizing and looking contrite?

The one thing I've noticed in today's world is that no matter how much one apologizes to the press, the world in general....there are always people who thinks it (the apology) was not nor will ever be enough.

He should be doing everything possible to fix the problems in BP that caused this situation and making sure it never happens again...but everyone needs a little down time...tho I personally would have not chosen a yacht race but then I don't enjoy that kind of thing.

(Heck, I live near a lot of lakes and I don't even like to hang out on the shore let alone go out on any kind of boat)

If he were down on the Gulf Coast as some have suggested, cleaning up the beaches or washing oil off birds there would still be those who would criticize that.

Face it....no matter what he does it will be looked upon badly.

He made a bad choice here. He and BP seem to have made a lot of bad choices along the way.

Can only hope that they learn and choose better in the future

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#15 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 22 June 2010 - 10:52 AM, said:

BP's CEO plays the fiddle like Jack Benny. :p :p
:lol:  :howling:    Good one!    :D
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

View Posttrikay, on 22 June 2010 - 11:27 AM, said:

Everyone can scream and yell about Hayward going to a yacht race.  Is he totally supposed to stop doing anything but apologizing and looking contrite?
Getting caught just showed the gap between his public and private face in the matter.  It will be used to focus on the real problem: what his company's cost cutting has cost.  

The one thing I've noticed in today's world is that no matter how much one apologizes to the press, the world in general....there are always people who thinks it (the apology) was not nor will ever be enough.
That's what compensation is for.  "Sorry" doesn't bring back the lifestyle and livelihood.
Posted Image

#17 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

You do know that Nero played the lyre? That the fiddle has only been around 400 years or so?

Can you say "mixed metaphor"? Or "anachronism"?

I doubt Tony gives a rat's arse about Joe General Public. Like most CEO's, he probably thinks of us "small people" as a nuisance.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#18 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 22 June 2010 - 04:28 PM, said:

You do know that Nero played the lyre? That the fiddle has only been around 400 years or so?

Tony couldn't find a lyre, so he had to grab the next thing available. :p :p

Can you say "mixed metaphor"? Or "anachronism"?

I can say "BP'S WHIPPING BOY!!!!!!" :p~ :hehe:

I doubt Tony gives a rat's arse about Joe General Public.

Well BP has given the Americans along the Gulf coast some steaming helpings of rat's arse to chow down. :barf: Survey says?? "HATED IT." :angry:

Like most CEO's, he probably thinks of us "small people" as a nuisance.

Annoying pimples on HIS arse?! :p

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

Unless he's really helping with the spill I don't know what he's supposed to do, if anything he'll just get in the way of the people really trying to solve the problem. And if Obama gets more involved people will cry "socialism" as they did with the bank and car company bailouts.  :eh:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#20 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

View PostNonny, on 22 June 2010 - 01:04 PM, said:

View Posttrikay, on 22 June 2010 - 11:27 AM, said:

Getting caught just showed the gap between his public and private face in the matter.  It will be used to focus on the real problem: what his company's cost cutting has cost.  

That's what compensation is for.  "Sorry" doesn't bring back the lifestyle and livelihood.

Don't get me wrong...BP needs to pay financial compensation.  It's needed to TRY to make up for the damage done.

Note I said TRY....because no amount of money will ever fix what has been destroyed and what is still being destroyed. Money can't buy you love and it can't bring back what may very well be lost forever.  But it can put groceries on the table and maybe pay for job retraining or relocation or whatever is needed.

At least that is my hope. Praying that folks who need the money get it and there are no reports of fraud or scams eating up a large portion of the available funds.

And I wasn't necessarily referencing just this incident with the remark about apologies.  I've seen too many incidents ---most totally unrelated to the BP spill---where apologies were offered and then used to further beat down the folks offering said apologies.

Edited by trikay, 22 June 2010 - 08:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BP Spill, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users