Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Texas Republican Joe Barton Apologies To BP

2010 BP spill Joe Barton apologizes

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

link

BP's (BP) Deepwater Horizon disaster has had tragic consequences for the 11 men who died and their families, the Gulf Coast environment and the economy of a region heavily dependent on the now-sullied waters for sustenence.

On Thursday, as BP CEO Tony Hayward testifed before Congress, one Republican lawmaker identified yet another victim: BP itself.

Rep. Joe Barton, a Texas Republican with close ties to the oil industry, apologized to Hayward and said he was "ashamed" that BP had been the victim of a "shakedown" Wednesday, when the company agreed to set aside $20 billion for claims resulting from the spill.

"I'm ashamed of what happened in the White House yesterday," Barton said. "I think it is a tragedy of the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterize as a shakedown, in this case a $20 billion shakedown."

"I apologize," Barton said, addressing Hayward. "I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong, it is subject to some sort of political pressure that, again, in my words, amounts to a shakedown. So I apologize."

Barton has received $1.4 million in contributions from the oil industry -- it's his biggest donor industry -- since 1989, according to the Center For Responsive Politics (CRP). Of course, oil companies have lavished money on members of both parties, but Barton is routinely among the top recipients.

In fact, as Nate Silver points out, Barton's largest single donor is Anadarko Petroleum (APC) -- BP's main partner in the Macondo Prospect, the very undersea oil field that blew out the Deepwater Horizon rig and has spewed millions of gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico.

This guy needs to be kicked out of his position, PRONTO. :glare: People shouldn't wait for this fool to resign. As Balderdash has said, "I think sometimes waiting for people to do the right thing is the wrong thing."

And it's good to see BOTH Republicans and Democrats giving this a$$hole hell for these statements. :angry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

Wow.

Just, wow.
Posted Image

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

View PostBad Wolf, on 20 June 2010 - 10:26 AM, said:

Wow.

Just, wow.

It is terrifying how jaded I've become as I've grown older, because I don't find myself saying "wow". I just shrug and say, "Business as usual." :eh:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

Granted he was stupid but----

Before the hearing was over, Burton retracted his BP apology.

"I regret the impact that my statement this morning implied that BP should not pay for the consequences of their decisions and actions in this incident," he said.

But Democrats hoped the damage would be long-lasting and sought to make Barton, who has taken $1.4 million in industry contributions,  a poster boy for GOP coziness with Big Oil.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs tweeted: "Who would the GOP put in charge of overseeing the energy industry & Big Oil if they won control of Congress? Yup, u guessed it - JOE BARTON

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...l#ixzz0rPOSkcoz

There's always an idiot in every bunch

Once it's out there...it's out there forever.  Can't take it back, ya know.

And I never am surprised by some of the stuff that comes out of a politicians mouth.  Gotta cover all the bases , ya know.

Edited by trikay, 20 June 2010 - 10:51 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

trikay,

Too little, too late. The horse had bolted from the stable.

As my mom once said, "Flies don't enter a closed mouth."

:headshake:
Posted Image

#6 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 20 June 2010 - 10:52 AM, said:

trikay,

Too little, too late. The horse had bolted from the stable.

As my mom once said, "Flies don't enter a closed mouth."

:headshake:

That's why I edited to add something about it being too late....

Politicians always remind me of that song from The Best Little (bleep) House in Texas ..."The Sidestep"   If you don't know why look up the lyrics.  Perfectly fits the way all politicians are.

ok I censored myself as to not offend

Edited by trikay, 20 June 2010 - 04:13 PM.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

We apparently cross-posted trikay! :hehe:
Posted Image

#8 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

This may have a silver lining.  

Barton's gaffe may have goaded the Republicans into supporting the sanctions against BP.  Otherwise they risk looking like they are all owned by the oil companies, which would be bad for their mid-term elections.

Of course they are still owned by the oil companies, but they don't want to LOOK like they are mere lackeys of the corporate interests who pay for their existence.
www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

At this point I wish everyone would shift focus from sanctioning BP to, you know, STOPPING THE LEAK and maybe even CLEAN UP.

This is one you can't just throw money at.  I'm getting to the point where I'm almost as disgusted with our government's dismal failure in addressing the environmental issue while patting itself on the back for excoriating BP as I am at BP itself.
Posted Image

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 20 June 2010 - 11:32 AM, said:

At this point I wish everyone would shift focus from sanctioning BP to, you know, STOPPING THE LEAK and maybe even CLEAN UP.

This is one you can't just throw money at.  I'm getting to the point where I'm almost as disgusted with our government's dismal failure in addressing the environmental issue while patting itself on the back for excoriating BP as I am at BP itself.

As to the bold-can they, really? This is a serious question.

I think a large part of this problem, unfortunately, is human arrogance and short-sightedness. These two factors have been around since the dawn of man. People oftentimes will bite off more than they can chew.

And, sadly-something has to be said about the fact that this happened to the richest nation on the planet, while places like the Niger Delta have had things like this go on for half a century. It's a damn shame that it takes something like this to happen to a rich nation in order for folks to focus on getting their priorities straight.

And you know what? I have my doubts about people getting their priorities straight. Many people remember
things when it's convenient for them to remember.

Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

And the human race has forgetfulness down pat. :glare:
Posted Image

#11 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

^^^

You've got that right.

Many times people don't care about something whether it's a natural or manmade disaster or just some general societal problem.  

Until it happens to them.

Or where the cameras are able to capture every painful, emotional detail.

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

View Posttrikay, on 20 June 2010 - 04:23 PM, said:

^^^

You've got that right.

Many times people don't care about something whether it's a natural or manmade disaster or just some general societal problem.  

Until it happens to them.

Or where the cameras are able to capture every painful, emotional detail.

I'll be blunt.

Many Americans have been PAINFULLY naive and sheltered, in the same way they were before the 9/11 attacks happened. The U.S. residents along the Gulf Coast were INSANELY lucky that there were no spills of this magnitude before. And what I bold-faced in your quote is also a HUGE factor.

Eventually, the dice WILL come up snake-eyes. TOO MANY people ignored this fact. And to think that the big oil and fishing industries could continue their association is naive to the point of ridiculousness.

But as I've said oftentimes-people see what they want to see.

:eh:
Posted Image

#13 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

View Posttrikay, on 20 June 2010 - 10:46 AM, said:

Granted he was stupid but----

Before the hearing was over, Burton retracted his BP apology.

"I regret the impact that my statement this morning implied that BP should not pay for the consequences of their decisions and actions in this incident," he said.

But Democrats hoped the damage would be long-lasting and sought to make Barton, who has taken $1.4 million in industry contributions,  a poster boy for GOP coziness with Big Oil.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs tweeted: "Who would the GOP put in charge of overseeing the energy industry & Big Oil if they won control of Congress? Yup, u guessed it - JOE BARTON

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...l#ixzz0rPOSkcoz

There's always an idiot in every bunch

Once it's out there...it's out there forever.  Can't take it back, ya know.

And I never am surprised by some of the stuff that comes out of a politicians mouth.  Gotta cover all the bases , ya know.

There's an idiot born every second. Posted Image
I'm sure P.T. Barnum would have had a pithy statement for this situation.

Edited by Rhea, 20 June 2010 - 07:47 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#14 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:51 AM

Barton has received $1.4 million in contributions from the oil industry -- it's his biggest donor industry -- since 1989, according to the Center For Responsive Politics (CRP). Of course, oil companies have lavished money on members of both parties, but Barton is routinely among the top recipients.

So what he's saying, basically, is that it's a mistake to have the Federal goverment shake down BP all in one lump sum.

Rather, we should continue to have our elected representatives shake them down individually, as has become traditional. :p

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

Isn't Barton the ranking Republican on the House Energy and Commerce committee?  If we don't return a Democratic Congress, he'd be the chairman, and that would be tragic on so many levels.     :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

Technically, he's right.  Until such a time as BP is sued for the money, there's no legal reason why BP should have to turn over its money to the government to be disbursed as the government sees fit. Until then, the normal way of things would be for BP to manage its own money, using it to pay claims that have a reasonable legal basis (with claimants having recourse with the court system).

Edited by Palisade, 21 June 2010 - 09:47 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#17 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

View PostNonny, on 21 June 2010 - 09:39 AM, said:

Isn't Barton the ranking Republican on the House Energy and Commerce committee?  If we don't return a Democratic Congress, he'd be the chairman, and that would be tragic on so many levels.     :(

Yes he is.  It's already tragic and if Republicans get control we can kiss the middle class good bye.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#18 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

^ You can kiss the middle class goodbye regardless. The fat lady hasn't sung yet, but it would take a major transformative sea change to reverse the current trend.

If you look at American and world history, an affluent, broad-based middle class is the exception rather than the norm.

Edited by Palisade, 21 June 2010 - 11:16 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#19 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

View PostPalisade, on 21 June 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

^ You can kiss the middle class goodbye regardless. The fat lady hasn't sung yet, but it would take a major transformative sea change to reverse the current trend.

If you look at American and world history, an affluent, broad-based middle class is the exception rather than the norm.

I pretty much agree about the fat lady, she is definitly warming up.  There's going to be a whole bunch more poor people pretty soon.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#20 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

View PostPalisade, on 21 June 2010 - 09:46 AM, said:

Technically, he's right.  Until such a time as BP is sued for the money, there's no legal reason why BP should have to turn over its money to the government to be disbursed as the government sees fit. Until then, the normal way of things would be for BP to manage its own money, using it to pay claims that have a reasonable legal basis (with claimants having recourse with the court system).

I've read comments on some different newspaper sites from the public and this isn't setting well with a lot of people.

It feels like just another major monetary contribution by BP to the American public ---as opposed to individual public officials ----as condoned by the President to smooth things over somewhat on the public relations front.  

Perhaps a real gesture but  on all sides but....  :blink:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2010, BP spill, Joe Barton apologizes

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users