• This topic is locked This topic is locked
378 replies to this topic

#21 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 11:50 AM

Silver finished her meal and cleaned up the few dishes. She never left any dirty dishes around any longer than necessary, nor was there any dust or dirt found anywhere, the cat in her making her a very neat person.

Going into the living room, feeling restless, she saw Shiva had made himself comfortable in front of the small fire she had built to keep the dampness at bay. Going over to the fireplace, she sat on a floor pillow next to the big cat who promptly turned over on his back and practically ordered her to rub his belly. Smiling, she obliged him thinking that anyone who witnessed this would probably look at her like she was a nut, most people being terrified of big cats, especially tigers. She knew better, though, having raised Shiva from a cub after finding him near his dead mother.

#22 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:35 PM

Niko walked slowly into the inn and looked around. Somewhere, deep inside his mind, he felt warning bells ringing. There was more going on here than he would care to admit but for the time being subtlty truley was the finest virtue.

He slipped into the shadows around the outside of the inn to see what was what.

Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#23 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:48 PM

Silver woke up the next morning still in front of the fireplace. She had fallen asleep on Shiva. The fire was almost out and she could feel the chill from the storm still going on. Stoking up the fire, she added some more wood, then fixed her and Shiva some breakfast.

Maybe if the rain lets up later, we can go for a run, huh? She asks the big cat. Shiva looked up at her as if to say he couldn't wait, and neither could she. It was early and she was fairly isolated, so she could run pretty much whenever she wanted, and it had been too long since she'd had a good run.

#24 XxTyrxX

XxTyrxX

Like chocolate for the ears...

• Islander
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 04:36 PM

The hulking brown and black form moved through the forested area with ease.  It's snout raised as it sniffed the air... it's prey was on the move... good.  With a baleful howl, powerful legs churned up the dirt and propelled it's body through the night.  It's prey could sense that it's end was near and it desperately ran as fast as it's 4 legs would carry it, but it was to no avail.  

Seemingly from out of nowhere, the hunted creature was caught!  Powerful jaws snapped around it's neck, causing it's death instantly.  The wolf howled in response to the fresh blood mingling on it's tongue.  It was a good hunt and it was going to enjoy the fruit of its labor...

A short while later, the blood covered wolf padded it's way back towards a dimly lit cabin.  It's massive bulk was surprisingly quiet as it made it's way ever so closer to the cabin.  As it moved, there was a shifting in the shape and size of the wolf... it began undergoing a transformation... slowly, it changed from wolf to man... a naked man no less.  Dante stepped into the light of the cabin and saw himself in the reflection of a nearby window.  He smirked slightly as he was covered in blood,
"You were a bit messy this time Dante..."  He shook his head as he entered the nicely furnished cabin and headed for the shower.  He had to be clean before returning to Landing.  He had been out here long enough and wanted to get back to the city.  He had to see how Dreams was doing.

About an hour later, it was Dante Asher who stepped out of the cabin.  He hopped into his transport and headed back into the city, feeling refreshed... he just was eager to get caught up on what was going on...

Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.  -  Ash (A.o.D)

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth. - Brian Caruso
Teeth of the Tiger

#25 Gaiate

Gaiate

Spirit Blade

• Islander
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:01 PM

Colonel Lucas walked into the Inn dressed in black along with his long black leather coat, alowing a ghost of a smile for Mikoto as he approached the bar.

"The usual, Mikoto."

"Sure thing, Lucas.  Go ahead a find a table."

Lucas nodded, smiled again (discreetly), and sat down at a table facing the door, scanning the room as he went.  As he walked, the coat trailed a bit behind him, briefy revealing a gauss gun on each leg.

--Te

"This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V." -- V, making an first impression

"Dude . . . that was cool." -- My first impression of V

#26 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,191 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 12:48 AM

Vaughn Fanel made his way through the doors of the Inn. Taking a look around he saw some familiar faces. Those that had frequented the Inn as well, but he did not know any of them personally. The only one he had a passing familiarity with, was Michiko, the Innkeeper. But only because he knew of her reputation. In his line, he had to.

Walking over to the musicmaker, he selected an ancient Celtic Lament. Something slow and airy. He then went to take a seat at one of the tables meant for two. Taking off his light leather trenchcoat, he draped it over the back of the chair. His all-black ensemble seemed to stand out, but he didn't care. It looked good on him, and that's what made the difference.

He wasn't really hungry, as he had just fed not long before. But it was best to keep up appearances. And besides, he had to keep an eye on all his possible allies........and his possible enemies.....

#27 Pamela

Pamela
  • Islander
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:07 AM

Alex parked her private transport and climbed out. It had been drizzly all day and now it looked like it would clear off. She should really pay more attention to the forecast.

Her stomach rumbled and she sighed. Between the emergency surgery and the spay that morning and three house calls-she hadn't eaten since breakfast. She tossed her coat back in the transport and locked the door then headed for the door to the Inn. Real food waited.

It wasn't too busy, the dinner crowd hadn't hit yet,that was good. Alex caught Michiko's eye then went over to where Thor was watching the guests. The Eagle looked healthy and well taken care of, she wished they all were.

After a few minutes of baby talk and watching the bird humor her she sat at the bar and smiled at Michiko.

"A small non-native bird was found dead this morning, no apparent injury. I have it at my place but haven't run any tests. If Thor free hunts you might want to hand feed for a few days just incase the local prey has something we don't know about, I'd hate to see him get sick." She told the woman. "I should know something tomorrow and will give you a call. So what do you have for someone heading for bed if-she can make it that far?"

pl

#28 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:17 AM

"Long day Alex?" Jono asked, since they were both doctors of a sort, they had known each other before the drift had been destroyed and had kept more or less in touch since then.

"Long day." she agreed

"Well, i've got a report to deliver to the council, but if you want i can drop you off at home first. Given the information i've got, i think i'm going to start advising people to travel in pairs where possible." he said, thinking about the tracks, and that annoying half memory

#29 Pamela

Pamela
  • Islander
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:11 AM

"I actually had to euphonize a pet dog shot for barking at a pedestrian, the second one since the attacks started. The poor kid was hysterical." She sighed tiredly then looked at the salad placed in front of her and dug in.

"I appreciate the offer, Jono, but I have transport and the corpse in the cooler. I don't want to leave it over night and might get a call. Thanks anyway.

"This is delicious. Can I get another serving to take home?"

pl

#30 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 05:04 AM

"Certainly, Alex, theres always more for you!" ... Michiko smiled cheerfully at the vet, one of her favorite regulars.  Alot of her regulars were showing up tonight, even with the storm rageing.  The fact that it showed no signs of abating made up her mind. Many of her regulars lived rather solitary lives, and with a killer running loose...

"Alex, Jomo, both of you are welcome to stay the night.  I can put the body in the back fridge.  I have a bad feeling about tonight. Please stay."...Michiko urged them

She left Alex and Jono to consider her invitation, and headed for others she would find welcome company this night.  The Inn had twenty suites, and only two were currently occupied.

Lucas's  usual, was ready, so she took it over to him.  Sliding it on to the table before him, she moved to the other seat and sat down.

"Colonel...There is a storm rageing outside.  Let me offer you a suite for the night, a guest of The Inn.  If it will convince you I will admit to a bad feeling about tonight"...Michiko and Lucas knew each other enough that the retired special operations commando realized that she was truely concerned.

Michiko knew better than to expect an answer imediately so she moved on to the next patron she wished to speak to.  She stopped short when she saw who had made a rare appearance and was already speaking to the one clad dramatically in all black.  *He would be* she thought to herself as she returned to the bar. She would not interfer in a meeting between those two.

Shai slid soundlessly into the seat opposite Vaughnand smiled gently as he started.  He had not sensed her approach, and that was unnerving to the man in black...."Not many of you have the courage to come here."... The tall, reed slender woman observed bluntly, in a language unknown to most...."Stay the night, be welcome of suite twenty one.'

Shai stood and was moving away with quicksilver grace before Vaugh could reply. The midnight blue of the flowing gown she wore highlighted the silvery hue of her hair and eyes, making the palenesss of her skin even more apparent.

#31 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 05:07 AM

"Michiko?" Jono asked, and she came over
"I think, given the weather and the fact that there is something about tonight that is bothering me immensely, i'll stay. Barring any medical emergencies that need me." he added after a moment.

"Fair enough." Michiko replied.

"It's strange," Jono mused, looking at the spot where Vaugh had been approached by the ever elusive Shai. "I thought this place only had 20 suites."

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#32 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 06:11 AM

Michiko looked at Jono, her face carefully blank...

"It does, four on each floor.  You should remember the weeks I agonized on absolutley unique decor for each one.  Why should you think there are more?"...She mock shuddered..."Please don't tell me there is a floor I missed!"

She laughed as she poured herself a mug of hot tea...."How does the Rose Suite sound for you tonight?"

She remembered Jono's reaction to the overly frilly, feminiely decorated suite on the second floor.

#33 jodihopper

jodihopper

chubby little hopping mouse

• Islander
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 06:13 AM

Esther quietly tends her hydroponics garden tomorrow she would harvest and travel to the Inn.

She pauses and sniffs the air something new approaches.

#34 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 06:52 AM

"Must be my bad hearing and......did you say the,....rose?.... suite." Jono replied, going ever so slightly pale. He didn't consider himself a snob usually, but there was something about that room he found profoundly disturbing. He had vague notions that one of his previous incarnations had been female and had actually liked that sort of thing, and he suppresed a shudder

"I'll take one of the other rooms, if you don't mind."

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#35 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 07:56 AM

Silver looked outside. It was still raining, and getting dark. The rain wasn't falling as hard as it had earlier, but hard enough to keep most people in their homes or the Inn, wherever they happened to be. It was perfect for running in, no one would be about to observe two white tigers out running. As isolated as she was, there was never anyone around anyway, but you never can tell. She had installed hidden sensors around her property line to warn her of anyone who might try to trespass, even though she had signs marking her property every 10 feet. There was no hunting, fishing or trespassing of any kind allowed on her property, and she had never had any problems before. This time, she had a feeling something was going on, mangled bodies were being discovered. If something weren't done soon, people would start getting restless and form mobs who would strike first and ask questions later. It was common knowledge that she kept a tiger, and some might even start blaming him, even though he never strayed off her property, she had made doubly sure he knew his limitations just to avoid this sort of thing. If anyone started accusing Shiva, she would take him in to be tested against any evidence just so she could prove that he had nothing to do with it.

Shiva looked at her expectantly, he knew she was getting ready to go running and was ready to go with her. Stripping off her clothes since she wouldn't need any, they went out the back door under cover of darkness. Water never bothered either of them, they actually loved playing in it. Running toward the hilly and wooded part of her property, changes could be seen coming over Silver. The changes were gradual, and when they were through, she was a larger version of the white tiger who was running alongside of her. They ran through the trees and alongside a small river that ran through her property and several others on its way to the ocean. When she could run like this, she felt freer than at any other time in her life, that was why she had taken advantage of the free property that had been offered to the first settlers of Island, so she could live as isolated as possible and have a large area to run in where she would have little chance of being discovered.

#36 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:47 AM

Carlotta sipped her coffee and watched the comings and goings at the Inn. From time to time she sniffed the air and smiled, many of the Inns customers were not what they appeared to be.
One man interested her particularly, she had caught his scent before he even entered the Inn, he was like her and yet unlike her....she studied him over the top of her cup, he was an extremely tall, powerful looking man.....and he smelt of blood. She licked her lips, finished her drink and called for another

#37 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 12:11 PM

Lynea sat silently, listening to the general conversations around her. She was really a human, and unaware that some of the people around her weren't. She too had heard the rumours and was anxious to stay in landing. She looked at Michiko. "I think I might like to stay for a few days." Lynea said quietly.
Rejected and gone.

#38 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 12:53 PM

From her perch on the bar, Silverwind released an exasperated sigh.  That man in all black just *had* to start up that abomination. . .that "musicmaker".  In my day, we never would've had that drek playing at the Inn.  Live music. . .Singers, drummers, she smiled, flutists.  We played our hearts out. . .And we had hearts.  Unlike that. . .machine.  Silverwind smirked.  At least he had the decency to choose a good Celtic song.

As Shai finished her conversation with the man, Silverwind hopped down from her perch and joined the silver-haired woman.  In her plain dark red dress she felt rather under-dressed compared to the elegant woman. . .But then, ghosts didn't really have to be too concerned with how they looked.

"An interesting crowd, to be sure, Shai.  The place fairly reeks of Power right now. . .Should be an interesting night at least."  Silverwind winked mischievously at the silent woman.

#39 jodihopper

jodihopper

chubby little hopping mouse

• Islander
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 01:48 PM

The middle-aged woman settled her sizable frame into her large bed.  Her graying hair fell in a long thick braid to below her waist.  Tomorrow would be long and difficult.  The Inn was becoming crowded, the noise would be deafening.  Fourtunately, she had won a stall with a sleeping loft from a man who had been sensative also (to a different kind of noise).  He had insulated the stall and so there would be a quiet place for her.  

Again the new scent filled the air, at once both familiar and totally new.  Her thoughts drifted to the doctor she once worked for and wondered if he had survived the migration.

There was a silence falling on her isolated island, a silence of anticipation.

#40 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:31 PM

As they reached the hills upriver, Silver and Shiva suddenly stopped. Crouching down behind some bushes, they sniffed the air. Kowing they were in the middle of her property and knowing every scent that should be there, they knew something was there that shouldn't. They both smelled humans. Quickly running to a hidden place where she always kept extra clothes, Silver changed to her human form and put on a pair of white knit pants and a black loose fitting tank top. Signaling Shiva to remain at her side, she silently glided to where the two men were at. They had guns and looked like they were hunting.

May I ask what you are doing on my property? Silver asked from behind the two men. Startled, they both whirled around, pointing their guns. Shiva's menacing growl kept them from pulling the trigger. I have signs every 10 feet that clearly state that no hunting, fishing, or trespassing is allowed, so don't try to tell me you did not see them.

The one acting as spokesman for the two said There's been too many mangled bodies showing up of late. You got this big cat, and we think he's the one behind it all. Can you prove that? I've had Shiva since he was a cub and taught him the boundaries he is allowed. He's never once crossed them in all the time we've lived here. That's the very reason I chose this land, so he would have plenty of room to run without running into people who through ignorance would do something stupid like shoot him. If you have evidence, let me see it, if not, get off my property before I call the authorities and have you removed. If the authorities want to question me, they know where I live and I will happily let them run any tests they wish to prove you wrong.

As they turned to leave, throwing her looks that could kill, she warned them not to come back unless they had authorities with them. She had security measures that no one could get past or detect, and they would have much better luck knocking on her front door than sneaking around the middle of her property.

After she was sure the men had left, Silver and Shiva continued the way they had been going before being sidetracked, to the cave near the top of a tall hill that had a lake inside it whose water stayed at a comfortable temperature no matter the time of year. Pulling off her clothes again, she returned to her tiger form and they both had a good swim, splashing and playing in the water.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users