Disasters Earthquake Southern Canada 2010

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,095 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

A 5.0 ~ 5.5 quake that passed through parts of Southern Canada from Quebec to Toronto, New York, Vermont, Detroit and as far as Illinois.  The quake lasted from 5 to approx. 30 seconds that started around 1:40 pm Eastern time.

Links:

CNN

CP24 Toronto

I was at work while this happened.  I didn't actually feel the quake, but my co-workers in the office across the hall from the department where I work felt it and also my colleagues that work upstairs on the second floor felt it.  We did a precautionary building evacuation that lasted around 30 minutes or so.  Everyone at the office was fine.

Anyone else notice or feel any quakes today?

Edited by Darkside_1, 23 June 2010 - 08:16 PM.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

I felt it, I was at work, and on a personal phone call, and I tend to sway a little sometimes when sitting, so when it started I had to think if I was moving myself, and after after a brief second of assessment, I asked, "Did you feel that?" :D

No evacuation here.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

I didn't, but I was at an off-site meeting way out on Long Island yesterday, not in the city.  :(

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#4 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

My friends back in Buffalo have been talking about it.  WNY is on a fault line... I was previously in a small tremor several years back when I lived in Lake View( buffalo suberb).  I thought it was the train passing by the house until stuff started falling off my shelves.  Everyone I know now was a bit on the shocked side but otherwise no damage anywhere.

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

Gorramn Neil Peart and his drum playing!! :angry: Couldn't the other band members tell him to keep it down?! :glare:

;)
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 24 June 2010 - 08:11 AM, said:

Gorramn Neil Peart and his drum playing!! :angry: Couldn't the other band members tell him to keep it down?! :glare:

;)

Nah, it didn't last as long as one of his drum solos. :)
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

View PostRhys, on 24 June 2010 - 08:31 AM, said:

View PostAnalog Kid, on 24 June 2010 - 08:11 AM, said:

;)

Nah, it didn't last as long as one of his drum solos. :)

Of course not, silly-it was a drum FILL. :p~

(OT: the new album "Clockwork Angels" will be out next year. ;)  :whistle:  )
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#8 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

I felt it here in Toronto. I'm also on the 28th floor of a fairly narrow building. There was swaying.  :hesitant:
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

View PostCybersnark, on 24 June 2010 - 08:50 AM, said:

I felt it here in Toronto. I'm also on the 28th floor of a fairly narrow building. There was swaying.  :hesitant:

Eep! :egads:

I'm ignorant about seismic activity in that area. How well constructed are buildings in Toronto?
Posted Image

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

Nope - not a thing.  I wondered if it got as far as New York.  At the time, I would have been out and about on the street, so I might not have felt anything anyway if it was kinda mild.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 24 June 2010 - 08:57 AM, said:

View PostCybersnark, on 24 June 2010 - 08:50 AM, said:

Eep! :egads:

I'm ignorant about seismic activity in that area. How well constructed are buildings in Toronto?

Not very. I worked in construction (as a welder) in Toronto in the 1980's. They use old-fashioned girder 'n' beam construction. Vancouver, on the other hand, digs a huge hole, builds a huge steel-reinforced concrete pole in the ground that runs up the centre of the building and contains the stairs and elevators, and off this the rest of the building is hung. Which is why that building on Georgia that's suspended by straps is built the way it is. Engineers showing off, and all.

I wasn't aware that they got earthquakes around the Canadian Shield. I thought that area was very stable.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 24 June 2010 - 12:10 PM, said:

Not very. I worked in construction (as a welder) in Toronto in the 1980's. They use old-fashioned girder 'n' beam construction. Vancouver, on the other hand, digs a huge hole, builds a huge steel-reinforced concrete pole in the ground that runs up the centre of the building and contains the stairs and elevators, and off this the rest of the building is hung. Which is why that building on Georgia that's suspended by straps is built the way it is. Engineers showing off, and all.

I wasn't aware that they got earthquakes around the Canadian Shield. I thought that area was very stable.

I knew they could happen, but thought they were pretty rare.

It looks they, for the last couple decades anyways, been getting a moderate earth quake every 12 years.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nada_quake.html

"The crust is more rigid [in this region]," geologist Arsalan Mohajer of the University of Toronto told CBC News Online. "This is good news and also bad news. The good news is that we don't experience that many earthquakes. The bad news is that we don't know when the next possibly big earthquake will occur, because of a lack of information and data."

The last moderate earthquake in the region occurred on Sept. 25, 1998, when a magnitude 5.4 earthquake, centred just south of Lake Erie, rattled dishes and shook floors across Southern Ontario. A magnitude 5 quake shook the area 12 years earlier, in January 1986.

They also mentioned a 6.0er in the Saguenay region, Quebec, in Nov '88.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Earthquake, Southern Canada, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users