Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:58 AM

...well, perhaps yes he can...

http://news.yahoo.co...ws/ynews_ts2851

Costner cleanup device gets high marks from BP

Fri Jun 25, 5:57 pm ET
It was treated as an oddball twist in the otherwise wrenching saga of the BP oil spill when Kevin Costner stepped forward to promote a device he said could work wonders in containing the spill's damage. But as Henry Fountain explains in the New York Times, the gadget in question — an oil-separating centrifuge — marks a major breakthrough in spill cleanup technology. And BP, after trial runs with the device, is ordering 32 more of the Costner-endorsed centrifuges to aid the Gulf cleanup.

The "Waterworld" actor has invested some $20 million and spent the past 15 years in developing the centrifuges. He helped found a manufacturing company, Ocean Therapy Solutions, to advance his brother's research in spill cleanup technology. In testimony before Congress this month, Costner walked through the device's operation—explaining how it spins oil-contaminated water at a rapid speed, so as to separate out the oil and capture it in a containment tank

Should be interesting... :)
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:06 AM

Good for him ... I hope it works!

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

I saw this story as well. While I applaud Costner's efforts...

What does it say about the oil industry-particularly BP-that a huge company worth billions has to rely on an actor to try and get them out of a problem as monstrous as the oil spill in the Gulf?!?  :headshake:  :glare:

Good god...is THIS what we've come to?!?  :glare: :angry:

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

...and that's not including the fact that BP went to the public to ask them for ideas about cleaning up the spill. :angry:  :headshake:

Collecting people's hair to soak up oil?!?!?!?!?!? :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

YOU'RE A MOTHER-F***ING MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY!! ARE YOU RUN BY THE F**KING KEYSTONE COPS?!?! :ranting:

No-scratch that. I apologize to the Keystone Cops for insulting them. THEY at least had ability and talent.

ARRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by Analog Kid, 26 June 2010 - 09:13 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 26 June 2010 - 08:46 AM, said:

Yes.  It is.   :ermm:

But at least someone is doing something!   :wacko:  :thumbs-up:   :rolleyes:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   dragon scholar - 3a49cd1bf6bfb7033fbc9b54d7fddf56.gif

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 26 June 2010 - 09:20 AM, said:

Yes.  It is.   :ermm:

But at least someone is doing something!   :wacko:  :thumbs-up:   :rolleyes:

SFG

To be blunt-that's cold comfort, WHEN THE MORONS WHO WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS SPILL SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONES TO GET THEIR SH!T TOGETHER.

This is as absurd as asking Lucy Lawless to plan attack strategies in Afghanistan against the Taliban. :headshake: :glare:

OY. VEY.
Posted Image

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

I wouldn't knock all entertainers as useless outside of their profession. Maybe the overwhelming majority ;) but not all.

Even discounting charity stuff (which could be done as PR, as opposed to actually caring), there are some smart entertainers out there, a few even have PHDs (of course, the exception, not the rule). Which isn't necessarily the best and/or only measurement of smarts, but lets not get into an argument over the definition of smart ;) And it looks as if Kevin Costner isn't saying he is smart/invented this, he is supporting, and being the public face, for the invention, which his brother helped develop.

Though maybe I'll expose a lack of smarts here ;) but what is so ground-breaking over what seems to essentially be a centrifuge technology anyways? I remember thinking about something like this when the oil-spill started, since oil and water don't mix and oil floats on water, separate thru a centrifuge.

Edited by sierraleone, 26 June 2010 - 09:51 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 26 June 2010 - 09:51 AM, said:

I wouldn't knock all entertainers as useless outside of their profession. Maybe the overwhelming majority ;) but not all.

Even discounting charity stuff (which could be done as PR, as opposed to actually caring), there are some smart entertainers out there, a few even have PHDs (of course, the exception, not the rule). Which isn't necessarily the best and/or only measurement of smarts, but lets not get into an argument over the definition of smart ;) And it looks as if Kevin Costner isn't saying he is smart/invented this, he is supporting, and being the public face, for the invention, which his brother helped develop.

Though maybe I'll expose a lack of smarts here ;) but what is so ground-breaking over what seems to essentially be a centrifuge technology anyways? I remember thinking about something like this when the oil-spill started, since oil and water don't mix and oil floats on water, separate thru a centrifuge.

:clap:

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

You never know where the next great idea can come from...

I think I read elsewhere or perhaps heard it on the news when they were talking about this technology he was offering, that he became interested in it or got involoved after he did that dud, Waterworld.

And isn't amazing that after all the decent or great movies he's made they dredge up Waterworld?

In his congressional testimony, Costner recounted his struggle to effectively market the centrifuge. He explained that although the machines are quite effective, they can still leave trace amounts of oil in the treated water that exceeds current environmental regulations. Because of that regulatory hurdle, he said, he had great difficulty getting oil industry giants interested without first having the approval of the federal government.

It's true, as Fountain notes in the Times, that innovation on spill technology has been hobbled in part by the reach of federal regulation — though Fountain also notes that oil companies have elected to devote comparatively little money for researching cleanup devices in the intensely competitive industry.

Costner said that after the device was patented in 1993, he sought to overcome oil-company jitters by offering to allow U.S. oil concerns to use it on a trial basis. He'd extended the same offer to the Japanese government in 1997, he said, but got no takers there either.

Red tape and regulations....that's what you are hearing tons of complaints about in relation to the spill.

And a lot of that resistance was likely due to the fact he was an actor and thus dismissed.  When he first came forward to offer it this time, after the BP spill, people still scoffed at him and laughed about the actor thinking he had a solution.  

Who's laughing now?

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. :)

I completely agree that there are a lot of smart entertainers out there (including Lulu :love: ). But that isn't my point. My point is that it should NEVER have gotten to the point where BP would have to rely on entertainers and the general public to get them out of a mess THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREPARED FOR FROM THE GET-GO.

THAT is what has me furious. Just on the basis of perception, this is but one example of how incompetent BP would look to many folks.  :headshake:
Posted Image

#11 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

What does it say about the oil industry-particularly BP-that a huge company worth billions has to rely on an actor to try and get them out of a problem as monstrous as the oil spill in the Gulf?!?  :headshake:  :glare:
Hedy Lamarr
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 26 June 2010 - 10:16 AM, said:

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. :)

I completely agree that there are a lot of smart entertainers out there (including Lulu :love: ). But that isn't my point. My point is that it should NEVER have gotten to the point where BP would have to rely on entertainers and the general public to get them out of a mess THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREPARED FOR FROM THE GET-GO.

THAT is what has me furious. Just on the basis of perception, this is but one example of how incompetent BP would look to many folks.  :headshake:

Oh, gotcha. I could *sort of* understand it, if they had some robust, viable plan in place (that didn't include arctic animals), but the extent of the spill was overwhelming them, so it was after they were fully engaged and needed further assistance. But that is certainly not how I'd describe what is happening in the gulf at all  :wacko:

- Masha Gessen

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

View PostNonny, on 26 June 2010 - 10:28 AM, said:

Hedy Lamarr

Cool link. :cool: But once more-this isn't my point. Again-yeah, there are some smart actors out there who can do great stuff outside of their profession.

HOWEVER!

This was BP's responsibility-FIRST AND FOREMOST. They are worth BILLIONS. They've been doing this sort of thing for AGES. All that money and supposed experience-and they have to fall back on Joe Public and actors?! Come on.

It's the PERCEPTION this brings about that makes many people shake their heads. Do you REALLY think most people are going to take the time to find out that an actor is more than just some pretty face who can memorize lines? Most people don't have the time or patience for that.

THAT is my point. Perception is 2/3's reality in the minds of many people.
Posted Image

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Short answer: science vs. engineering.

Oil and water *do* mix.  That's part of the problem.  When crude oil is spraying from a mile under the water it emulsifies into a water-oil mousse.  Some separates out completely, some gets mixed with water from rough seas and wave action, and the dispersants break it up into small droplets.  Dispersants are basically dish soap.  The centrifuge idea seems obvious, you can probably put together something from items around your house and test it out by trying to separate the oil out of a salad dressing.  The tricky part is scaling that up and building a device capable of sucking up millions of gallons of seawater on a ship, centrifuging the oil out, and then discharging the water.  The principal is easy, the engineering to actually build something that will do this on a useful scale isn't.

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

AK's peeve is that it's Costner who had to come up with this when the people DOING this digging should have been researching and innovating solutions for leak even as they raked in billions in profits from drilling.  Not a swipe at Kevin Costner (who deserves a nobel prize for this) but at BP and its ilk.
Posted Image

#16 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

View PostNick, on 26 June 2010 - 10:49 AM, said:

Short answer: science vs. engineering.

Oil and water *do* mix.  That's part of the problem.  When crude oil is spraying from a mile under the water it emulsifies into a water-oil mousse.  Some separates out completely, some gets mixed with water from rough seas and wave action, and the dispersants break it up into small droplets.  Dispersants are basically dish soap.  The centrifuge idea seems obvious, you can probably put together something from items around your house and test it out by trying to separate the oil out of a salad dressing.  The tricky part is scaling that up and building a device capable of sucking up millions of gallons of seawater on a ship, centrifuging the oil out, and then discharging the water.  The principal is easy, the engineering to actually build something that will do this on a useful scale isn't.

Yeah, I remember reading about a study of this near Norway or something - a study BP was involved in - and BP still deny the possibility of sub-surface plumes :Oo:

Would the engineering have to be different for these devices that are use to suck up oil that has reached the surface, versus ones that are used to suck up sub-surface oil? Or would it just be a matter of powerfulness to make it more effective for the sub-surface crud? And what about the dispersant, can that be effectively separated from the water and/or oil?

- Masha Gessen

#17 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 26 June 2010 - 12:50 PM, said:

AK's peeve is that it's Costner who had to come up with this when the people DOING this digging should have been researching and innovating solutions for leak even as they raked in billions in profits from drilling.  Not a swipe at Kevin Costner (who deserves a nobel prize for this) but at BP and its ilk.

And once more...

What is the Average Joe or Jane going to think when they hear the name "Kevin Costner"?

ACTOR.

What is the Average Joe or Jane going to think when they hear the name "James Cameron"? IF they know him at all, the first thing they will think is:

MOVIE DIRECTOR.

Most people don't have the time, patience (and in a number of cases, intelligence) to dig further to learn more about such people.

People see what they want to see. :eh:

Edited to add-given what I've written, how MUCH MORE FOOLISH will BP look to the Average Joe or Jane??  :headshake:

Yeah. REAL good PR there. :glare:

Edited by Analog Kid, 26 June 2010 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

The sheer volume of water comprising these subsurface plumes is immense.  Assuming we had a magical perfect oil-separator machine on dozens of supertankers zipping around the gulf, it would still be well beyond their capacity to even put a dent in the plumes.  I don't think there's anything we can do about those aside from letting nature take its course.  The microbes will take care of all of that eventually.  That's actually the whole point in using chemical dispersants--keeps the oil from washing up on shore and having it broken down into droplets helps the oil-and-dispersant-munching microbes work faster.  The downside being said microbes depleting the oxygen creating huge (albeit temporary) dead zones.  Any hapless fish that swims through such a dead zone will suffocate.

All we can do is try to clean up as much of the surface oil as possible.

#19 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

^ Hmmm, I thought I had read something about them using these (or something like them) below the surface. Though they could have meant the immediate sub-surface, below where it was evident on the surface, where it was thick.

- Masha Gessen

#20 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

They might try sucking up some of the dispersed oil plumes, but it would be all for show.  There's no way they can make any sort of significant dent in those.  The dispersed oil is in mother nature's hands now.  But filtering the oil slicks and "chocolate mousse" at and near the surface can have a positive impact for wildlife--spawning grounds and birds in particular.  The less oil soaking in to the delicate wetlands, the better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disaster clean-up, 2010, Kevin Costner

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users