Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

!!!
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

I'm okay.  Chair was shaking so hard I was afraid to try to get up.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

:fear:

Are things OK now?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yikes. Glad you're okay.

*checks profile*
Palm Desert is Southern Cali, right? Are quakes common there?
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#5 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

many aftershocks.  I'm going offline for a while, see if neighbors want to talk about it
Posted Image

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 07 July 2010 - 07:03 PM, said:

Yikes. Glad you're okay.

*checks profile*
Palm Desert is Southern Cali, right? Are quakes common there?
yes.  this was my worst one, and it was close.  

Southern Californians, please check in.  

aftershocks continue.
Posted Image

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Oh SH!T!! :fear:

{{{{{Nonny & Californian Ex-Islers}}}}

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

Jesus!  {{{{{{{Nonny}}}}}}}
Posted Image

#9 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

I felt it.  I'm fine.  It was not a strong one here, but we felt it.  

I'm getting so tired of earthquakes.  I really am.  We've had some bad ones, and now all these down south, well, it's getting to be too much.  I keep wondering if a big one hits here again, will I be OK.  I just am really beginning to hate earthquakes.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

{{{ :hugs: Cait :hugs: }}}}}

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

A close friend of mine is vacationing in San Diego with hubby and kids. :(

Edited by Analog Kid, 07 July 2010 - 08:39 PM.

Posted Image

#12 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

i read it's about 60 mi NE of San diego?
so it's right in the backyard of a certain poster on here?

but perhaps not too many people affected? not really in the right place to cause trouble to a million like the 94 Northridge thing?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

Preliminary reports have it at 5.4. No reports of damage or injuries.

Cardie

Edited by Cardie, 07 July 2010 - 08:46 PM.

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

:eek2: Yikes!
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   dragon scholar - 3a49cd1bf6bfb7033fbc9b54d7fddf56.gif

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

Felt it here. It was strong, but short, here in San Diego. I saw on the news that there were 4 3.3 aftershocks right after, but didn't feel those.

#16 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:00 AM

i'm fine, y'all. oddly enough, didn't feel a thing. a customer coming through my line asked if i had.  i was like O_o "nooooo. did we have one?"  though he told me Palm Springs, not Palm Desert.

Nonny, you doing okay?

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#17 Mr. Synystyr

Mr. Synystyr

Watching from the shadows...

• Islander
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:39 AM

The earthquake map for Southern California is rather... exciting, these days.  All is well here, just a few things knocked over.  I really should move a few things down that we have up high, just to be safe.
Feel the velvet darkness caressing you...

#18 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on 07 July 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

I felt it.  I'm fine.  It was not a strong one here, but we felt it.  

I'm getting so tired of earthquakes.  I really am.  We've had some bad ones, and now all these down south, well, it's getting to be too much.  I keep wondering if a big one hits here again, will I be OK.  I just am really beginning to hate earthquakes.

I've lived through so many earthquakes in 40 years in California that I'm rather blasé (except when it involves lives lost).  in 1969 there were 2 earthquakes centered in Santa Rosa, one 5.6 and one 5.7 (only a few days apart), and IIRC there were over 200 aftershocks. They were the two largest events to occur in No. Cal. since the San Francisco earthquake in 1906 (this was, of course, long before the devastating Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989). I was in my second month of nursing school and our quarters were in an old converted hotel - my room was on the 5th floor. To make a long story short, I slept through it, blissfully unaware until somebody realized I hadn't evacuated and came back to wake me up so I could leave the building, which was swaying back and forth like a drunken sailor. Posted Image

Edited by Rhea, 08 July 2010 - 11:56 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#19 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

I have a friend in San Diego and when I called to check on her she didn't know what I was talking about,
she missed the whole thing.   :dontgetit:   I guess she must just be used to it or something, I dunno...  :whatsthat:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

I'm okay.  It was all those immediate aftershocks that made it seem like it was much longer than any I've felt before.  Palm Springs is the main city in the area, so that's why news reports mention it instead of smaller, less well known cities that are closer to the action, like Borrego Springs, where it was centered.  

I'm having a hard time believing it was only 5.4, instead of the 5.9 first reported.  

5.4 Earthquake Rattles Southern California

I woke up a couple times with my bed swaying slightly, but managed to go back to sleep, so I'm okay.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natrual Disasters, Earthquake, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users