Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Animal Rights

PETA Animal Rights

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Animal Rights (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Animal Rights

1. Leave the Hawk alone, and let it hunt the grounds (50 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. Take the Hawk out of town and release it (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

3. Other (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 03:00 PM

West Virginia's Capitol Building:

http://www-wv.er.usg...charleston.html

The Red Tailed Hawk:

http://www.motownfla...24x768_185.html

From West Virginia's Capitol Building, Pictured in the first link, you need drive only a few miles to see wildlife. Deer have visited the Capitol, Squirrels live on it's grounds. Black Bears have been to the edge of town.

Last summer, a Red Tailed Hawk, pictured in the second link, decided that the Capitol Grounds was the perfect place to hang out, with all of the trees and grass, the river near by and all the food a hawk could ask for, living right there on the grounds. Many witnessed the Hawk in action, from standing in a tree, watching the squirrels, to picking one out, launching from his pearch and killing and eating the Squirrel. Animal rights people were aghast, wanting the Hawk removed from the grounds to protect the city Squirrels, others wanted it removed to prevent children from seeing the carnage, while others, including myself, said leave it alone, few other Capitols could be a place for humans and nature in harmony. Everybody, including children, should see nature in action.

What would you do?

If you chose other, please post what you would do.

I will come back in one week, after Hawk returns from vacation, and tell you what was or wasn't done.

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 02 September 2012 - 03:24 PM.

Can't Touch This!!

#2 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 03:27 PM

Kosh, on Aug 9 2003, 08:00 PM, said:

. Animal rights people were aghast, wanting the Hawk removed from the grounds to protect the city Squirrels,
To me this just proves again that Animal Rights is the most screwed up thing to come down the pipeline in a long.  In case they havenít noticed Hawks are predators and eat meat.  Things like nice fuzzy rodents like squirrels are pests when they get out of control and Hawks keep the population in check.  Wake up people and remember you basic ecology and that furry tailed rodents are snacks on legs.    

Donít get me wrong Iím a strong supporter of the Animal Welfare movement and the activities of groups like the Humane Society of the United States.  They tend to hit on the real injustices against animals and illustrate the changes that do need to be made.  If one things hurts their cause is that many people donít understand Animal Rights and Animal Welfare are too very different things that are out for two very different goals.      

PS Does this mean we can relocate our Hawk on whim?  :D
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#3 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:08 PM

I'd leave alone, unless it starts attacking people. :crazy:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 Tyrman

Tyrman

Only in America...

• Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:32 PM

Birds of prey need to hunt wherever they can to survive. If that means that a squirrel looses it's life, such is the way of things.

#5 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:33 PM

Ah, the beauty of nature adapting to us messing with ecosystems ;)

Leave the Hawk be.  Just because the squirrels are cute and fuzzy doesn't exempt them from the food chain. :)

Besides, hawks aren't exactly dumb birds.  And if you drive it out of the city, it's just as likely to come back to where there's a nice ample supply of food ;)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#6 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:37 PM

DWF, on Aug 9 2003, 05:08 PM, said:

I'd leave alone, unless it starts attacking people. :crazy:
Unlikely, thankfully.  I spent a summer with the Canadian Wildlife Service and had the opportunity to learn a bit more about the predatory bird kingdom :)

A lot of birds of prey I figured large enough to catch squirrel sized prey actually only eat things like grasshoppers and small birds.

On the flip side, I've seen Kestrels and Loggerhead Shrikes(relatively small) take on birds their own size for a meal :cool:

Some of them, like the bald eagle, won't even catch their own food if they don't have to!

So unless someone started going after this Hawk's nest, at *worst* it might try and attack someone's Chihuahua.  If you can call that a bad thing.  I detest dogs that small. ;)

Edited by Jid, 09 August 2003 - 06:38 PM.

#7 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:57 PM

So unless someone started going after this Hawk's nest, at *worst* it might try and attack someone's Chihuahua. If you can call that a bad thing. I detest dogs that small.

Uncle Sid's avatar growls at Jid, and goes to look for a bigger box.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#8 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 08:01 PM

Uncle Sid, on Aug 9 2003, 07:57 PM, said:

So unless someone started going after this Hawk's nest, at *worst* it might try and attack someone's Chihuahua. If you can call that a bad thing. I detest dogs that small.

Uncle Sid's avatar growls at Jid, and goes to look for a bigger box.
LOL!!
Can't Touch This!!

#9 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:05 PM

I voted for them to leave it alone.  The problem with kids today is that they don't see the natural cycle of things any more.  It is important for them to see what real life is about, not just what is on Saturday morning cartoons.

Extremists in any walk of life are usually a problem, sometimes they just have to get a grip!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#10 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:21 PM

Leave the bird be.  It's nature.

It's kinda like PETA telling the town Hamburg to change its name to Veggieburg.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#11 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:52 PM

^And promote the slaughter of helpless vegetables?

*gasp* ;)

And Sid - sorry, but I still dislike chihuahuas ;)

#12 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:59 PM

Leave it alone.

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:31 PM

I would consider the relocation if it was endagered or was attacking folks. Ithat is why I voted for relocation.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,427 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:42 PM

I voted leave it alone.  As much as I hate it, hunting and killing are a part of life.  I wish it weren't so but there it is.  So, just accept it.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#15 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 11:44 PM

I'd let it be.  The ONLY case in which I would relocate the hawk is if the squirrels were of a specific rare variation.  My hometown has a population of squirrels that are solid black, and there's a place in Missouri (Aurora, IIRC) that has all-white squirrels.  In *that* case, I can see relocating the predator.  But for ordinary red or gray squirrels, leave it alone and let it hunt.

(And woohoo for ridding the world of chihuahuas ;)  Make more room for *real* dogs! :look:)

Edited by silverwind, 09 August 2003 - 11:46 PM.

#16 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 11:52 PM

Leave the bird be. Its a hawk and a squirrel... Hawks eat squirrels, its a part of nature. If one doesn't understand thaat, methinks they have to go back to elemetary school and learn the life cycle and food chain all over again.  ;)

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#17 Bossy

Bossy

Chaos Personified

• Islander
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 11:58 PM

silverwind, on Aug 9 2003, 11:44 PM, said:

I'd let it be.  The ONLY case in which I would relocate the hawk is if the squirrels were of a specific rare variation.  My hometown has a population of squirrels that are solid black, and there's a place in Missouri (Aurora, IIRC) that has all-white squirrels.  In *that* case, I can see relocating the predator.  But for ordinary red or gray squirrels, leave it alone and let it hunt.

(And woohoo for ridding the world of chihuahuas ;)  Make more room for *real* dogs! :look:)
Round here, black squirrels used to be a rare sight. People started live trapping them from the woods and moving them into town. Problems is, they are far more aggressive than the red or grey squirrels. In some of the smaller towns, the reds and greys have been partically driven out, and the blacks have taken over. ;)

I voted for leave the hawk alone.
Bossy

Kryptonite, silver bullet, Buffy? Dammit, what does it take to keep you in the grave? - John to Scorpy

And what the hell is Succubitch doing here? - Lorne

Captain, your presence here has not been overly meddlesome. - Ambassador Soval

.... it'll only induce me to acts of eloquence and mayhem. - Hawk

#18 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 12:02 AM

Leave the hawk alone.

#19 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 01:58 AM

Let the hawk be.... and kudos to it for finding a place to live in a populated area where more people can appreciate it, should they choose to notice that it's THERE and is a beautiful living creature....
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#20 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 06:40 AM

Leave the Hawk alone, do the Animal Rights people think protection only extends to something cute and fuzzy? The Hawk has just as much right to live as any other creature..

Besides, squirrels are tasty  :p

D'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PETA, Animal Rights

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users