Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Animal Rights

PETA Animal Rights

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Animal Rights (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Animal Rights

1. Leave the Hawk alone, and let it hunt the grounds (50 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. Take the Hawk out of town and release it (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

3. Other (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 11:16 AM

Animal rights people were aghast, wanting the Hawk removed from the grounds to protect the city Squirrels,

This just goes to show how much a lot of people don't know about nature. If they had the squirrels I'm afflicted with, they'd be *glad* to see the hawk do its natural thing. ;)

I know that New York was using hawks to prey on pigeons, but discontinued that when one of 'em attacked a pet chihuahua, probably mistaking the little beast for a rat...

others wanted it removed to prevent children from seeing the carnage,

Uggh, this makes me ill. We're really far distanced from growing up on farms and seeing animals living and dying, and that's a bad thing, IMHO. It sounds utterly bizarre to me (but I'm not a parent, and have no desire to be one) that watching a hawk eat a squirrel is something that the chyiillllldrun (sorry, "children") should be sheltered from seeing. :blink:

Edited by Norville, 10 August 2003 - 11:19 AM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#22 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 10 August 2003 - 01:05 PM

Norville, on Aug 10 2003, 04:16 PM, said:

I know that New York was using hawks to prey on pigeons, but discontinued that when one of 'em attacked a pet chihuahua, probably mistaking the little beast for a rat...
Not really-only in the case of this ONE particular hawk, and this might only be temporary.

Saul

#23 ph3n1ks

ph3n1ks

u$oft detractor

• Islander
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 03:32 PM

I think we need to introduce a genetically engineered hawk to take out the people who think the children don't need to see such 'carnage'. Hell if we listen to those types, the Discovery channel is out.
Support Evolution! Electrify the gene pool's fence!

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem, or just pray for peace!

#24 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 04:20 PM

Kill the hawk, stuff it, and put on display in city hall.

:lol:

-Dan

:ninja:

PS.  Ah come on people, smile.  I vote to leave to hawk alone.  It's educating children on the circle of life.
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#25 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 05:16 PM

Kosh, on Aug 9 2003, 01:00 PM, said:

Snip.....

What would you do?

If you chose other, please post what you would do.

I will come back in one week, after Hawk returns from vacation, and tell you what was or wasn't done.
I didn't choose other but I'm weighing in anyway cause I stood guard over a wounded hawk resting in my highest tree, throwing rocks, marbles, anything I could get my hands on and yelling and clapping and making all kinds of noise at  the all the crows assembling and making dive bombing missions at the poor thing while I called animal control to come rescue it.  Animal control suggested I wait until the bird fell from his/her perch, or try the local fire department.  So there was no help from my great city, and as dusk approached the crows diminished and neighbors who think I'm totally crazy grew. I am assuming all my work, worked. Hawk was able to fly the heck out of there, or it fell and a neighbor disposed of it. Kind of a horrible ending emotionally, not knowing for sure. It was a big and beautiful bird, I hope it made it.

Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#26 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 09:25 PM

I hope it made it.

Same here!
Can't Touch This!!

#27 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 11:06 AM

Well, I actually have been attacked by a hawk. (It was my fault. I didn't realize I was walking close to a Cooper's Hawk nest! Wow!)  And I say, let it be. Hawks are cool.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#28 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 02:04 PM

I've been attacked by a hawk too, but I was also about 15 feet from its nest and I assume that this bird has its nest farther away from people (probably on the TOP of the building)

Relocating it to save the squirrels is stupid.  It's just going to eat squirrels and other rodents somewhere else, unless they are under the belief that hawks in the wild suddenly turn vegertarian.  And I don't see an issue with kids seeing a preditor at work.  I started watching the discovery channel when I was around 6 or 7 and the worst thing that came from that was I realized there probably wasn't a single place that would have a tiger petting area.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#29 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 10:31 AM

I so thought this poll was about me.

Edit to add what I thought this article said:

Last winter, the 'Hawk, pictured in the second link, decided that the Ex Isle was the perfect place to hang out, with all of the topics and discussions, the forums near by and all the Sorbo interviews a 'hawk could ask for, living right there on the board. Many witnessed the 'Hawk in action, from standing in a tree, watching the threads, to picking one out, launching from his perch and tearing into Kevin Sorbo. Drom rights people were aghast, wanting the 'Hawk removed from the grounds to protect the star of 'Andromeda', others wanted him removed to prevent children from seeing the carnage, while others, including myself, said leave him alone, few other message boards could be a place for humans and the 'Hawk in harmony. Everybody, including children, should see the 'Hawk in action.

(Thanks for the vote of support, Kosh!) ;)

Leave the 'Hawk alone! Let him hunt his own grounds!

Have you thwapped your Sorbo today?

:cool:

Edited by the 'Hawk, 14 August 2003 - 10:35 AM.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#30 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,427 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 11:33 AM

^LOL!!!!!!!
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#31 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 12:51 PM

Now that our very own Hawk has returned and chimed in, the rest of the story:

Sadly, the "remove the Hawk" crowd won out. Our somewhat foolish Natural Resources group trapped the Hawk, and released it in Coonskin Park. Lots of food, trees, open sky and an Airport next door so the Hawk could hang out with the big boys. The trouble with that plan? The park is only 10-15 miles from the Capitol. We have a hugh Dome, covered in Gold Leaf. Anything with  Hawk's vision could find it in the dark at that distance, so he came back a day or so later. He was trapped again, and moved farther from town. Hasn't been scene since. Sucked so bad. I cross the Capitol lot often, but never got to see him in action.
Can't Touch This!!

#32 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 12:55 PM

^ How disappointing.

It really disturbs me how much some people feel the compulsion to start 'shielding children' from things as simple as a hawk who's got a really sweet hunting ground.

Poor old bird. I bet he was a beauty, too. Hope he finds a good spot. Or better yet-- I hope he keeps comin' back to the sweet spot he found. Gold domes are big, hawks have good eyes.... ;)

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#33 Tyrs Girl

Tyrs Girl

The King has returned

• Islander
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 06:49 PM

^Red tail hawks are very beautiful. This just goes to show that in most situations human stupidity will win out. Do these people have cats? Do these cats ever bring home rodents? In that case would these people get rid of their cats because of this? Nature happens. Hawks were hunting and killing prey for years. Relocating this poor bird because it's doing what it has to do to live is ridiculous. What do they think the hawk's gonna do for food? Go to McDonalds?

#34 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 07:44 PM

Tyrs Girl, on Aug 14 2003, 07:49 PM, said:

^Red tail hawks are very beautiful. This just goes to show that in most situations human stupidity will win out. Do these people have cats? Do these cats ever bring home rodents? In that case would these people get rid of their cats because of this? Nature happens. Hawks were hunting and killing prey for years. Relocating this poor bird because it's doing what it has to do to live is ridiculous. What do they think the hawk's gonna do for food? Go to McDonalds?
We have a frickin plague of cats in WV. Cats are cool, but I'm alergic.
Can't Touch This!!

#35 Scatha Arzetyn

Scatha Arzetyn

Argosy Liaison to Helm's Deep

• Islander
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 08:50 PM

LMAO @ Hawk's intial post.

IMO, the Animal Rights Organisation should be deemed a terrorist group and be dealt with accordingly. :p

This is completely ridiculous. They wasted a lot of effort that should have been spent somewhere else.

LOL @ Dan, This is WV luv, they'd be more likely to fry it for dinner. ;)

Anja II
Love is a happy little Elf, doing a merry little jig.
Who then turns on you with a miniature machine gun. --Nilulmaiel

British SitComs are educational! Learn to swear like an Englishman!

got sparky?

#36 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 09:55 PM

Red tail hawks are very beautiful.

Indeed they are. I'm pleased when I get to see one. There was one I saw that sat quietly and stoically for ages in the rain; I guess it appreciated the shower. I still wish they'd eat the squirrels that come back to plague us...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PETA, Animal Rights

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users