Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

BP: Oil Has Stopped Leaking Into Gulf

BP Spill 2010

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

And once more...

BP is the one we KNOW about because they got CAUGHT. With 35,000 wells out there in the Gulf Of Mexico, how many of them are time bombs waiting to go off? The Gulf Coast residents have been I-N-S-A-N-E-L-Y lucky all these decades. This one well CAN'T POSSIBLY be the only defective one. To think that is naive to the point of total absurdity and foolishness.

Well folks-that luck has run out. It's time to pay the piper, and that price is gonna be ASTRONOMICALLY high, in terms of lives lost (animal and human), lost wages, lost property, businesses and ways of life that go back generations.

I note that the people of the Niger Delta, while looking at our situation, felt pity-but at the same time were bewildered because they have been going through the same thing for decades and they are FAR worse off. But who cares about a bunch of poor black folks in some forgotten hell-hole on the other side of the planet?? It's not OUR problem.

:headshake:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#42 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

View PostNick, on 19 July 2010 - 03:25 PM, said:

^The leak in the cap is very small, it's really just dripping a bit.  I'm more concerned about the seep as nobody seems to have solid information or images of it yet.  Some of the posters at the Oil Drum have pointed out it *might* be an unrelated natural seep.

Hmph-I'm reminded of the story of a certain little Dutch boy. You know-the one who stuck his finger in the dyke to hold back the flood?

Too bad certain people didn't learn this lesson ahead of time.  :glare:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#43 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Alright, The Thadmiral's latest presser was as vague an uninformative as ever.  BP has issued a statement that the seep is unrelated and naturally occurring, but I trust BP about as far as I can throw them.  I mean, I hope they're being truthful, as having cracks in the seabed 3km away from the well connected to the original borehole will probably complicate matters with the killbore, but here's hoping that's not the case.

#44 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

View PostNick, on 19 July 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

Alright, The Thadmiral's latest presser was as vague an uninformative as ever.  BP has issued a statement that the seep is unrelated and naturally occurring, but I trust BP about as far as I can throw them.  I mean, I hope they're being truthful, as having cracks in the seabed 3km away from the well connected to the original borehole will probably complicate matters with the killbore, but here's hoping that's not the case.

On CNN some time ago, Anderson Cooper said something that shook me to the core because of its frightening truth:

Hope is not a plan.

:(
Posted Image

#45 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 19 July 2010 - 03:45 PM, said:

On CNN some time ago, Anderson Cooper said something that shook me to the core because of its frightening truth:

Hope is not a plan.

:(

Well, my understanding of the situation is if there's a lateral leak in the formation off the blown out wellbore, it may mean that the first relief well will be unable to pump enough mud fast enough to kill the well and they'll have to finish the second relief well to double the flow to pump enough mud to begin the cementing process.  It would take longer to seal the well permanently, but it wouldn't be a show-stopper.

#46 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thadmiral does not believe the seep is related to the well.  They're continuing to monitor it and compare it to "baseline data" (whatever that means), but so far there is no evidence it's connected to the blown out well beyond it's proximity.

#47 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

This worries me (pdf warning):

In terms of the static kill. And let me talk about this because this is – people are probably going gee, we haven’t heard about this. And I think there’s good reasons. This is very much in its infancy. This is not something that we’ve approved to do. We want to have a number of sessions going through all our procedures. But let me tell you what brought this into play.
There was two things that allowed this to become a reality. First of all was the possibility the well having integrity. We needed to have that. The tests are encouraging at this point but we haven’t made a firm decision on that. But that was – that was important.
And the second piece was the fact that it had a lower reservoir pressure. That was important as well to make sure we stay underneath the – any pressure constraints we might have with the system.

And so the big difference between the static kill and of course before when we talked about the top kill, which was a dynamic kill where we had to pump at tremendously high rates to try to overcome the flow of the well. It’s a very different situation when you actually have the well shut in. We can pump at low rates, we can keep it at low pressures and do it in a very different way.

So we’re going to work through with the teams and work with the scientists and see whether this is something we can do. It clearly has some advantages in lowering the well head pressure et cetera. Maybe even to the point of the well being killed. But these are all the things that we need to work through.

Now, what I want to stress through is that at the end of the day the relief well will still be the ultimate solution. We will still drill in with the relief well to make sure that the annulus is dead, et cetera. But this static kill does give us a new option like always we like to pursue parallel options, we’d like to use an overabundance of caution and that’s what we’re doing to move forward. so I’ll put it as – it’s encouraging at this point but there’s a couple days of work to do before we’d be in a position to make a decision.

And any decisions we’ve made of course would be made by Admiral Allen through unified command.

So they want to try essentially another top kill ahead of the relief well . . . I really don't want them playing around with their rube-goldberg contraptions bolted to the well head.  It's holding back the oil flow for now (aside from a bit of dripping) I don't see how it would be beneficial to keep trying new hail-mary passes when the relief well is so close to interception . . .

I'm no engineer, but this sounds like a really dumb idea (so of course they'll try it).

#48 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

The original (busted) BOP is spouting new leaks below the flex joint.  I don't think it can hold the pressure, and fishgrease at the DailyKos (a rig operator) isn't mincing words about how he feels about the new "static kill" idea:

Update 2:30 pm EDT: Original leak on the pipe has been sealed, but there are two major leaks on the stack now. One is at the boottom of the new "cap" and the otehr is on both sides of the BOP just underneath the flex joint. Lots of hydrates above the leaks.

I hope they do it! God... oh Sweet Sexy Jesus let them do it! Go ahead. f*ck it. Go ahead and pump mud at those allegedly low pressures. They won't be happy with the rate and they'll start increasing the pressure to get a little better injection rate, these leaks will open up, more will appear and they'll have a good old dramatic clusterf*ck. Good. I mean it. Go ahead.

Because it's not the severity of these little BOP leaks that mean anything here. It's that there ARE BOP leaks. You know how often wellheads leak out of flange seals? Never. They f*ck*ng just don't. Wellheads are BOPs in completion, workover and drilling operations, and "Christmas Trees" or just plain wellheads in production operations. I've seen several thousand wellheads, in person, in my over-30-year career and exactly two of them had leaks between the flanges. Those were repaired immediately. They set a plug and they fixed them. They can't do that here, obviously.

This many leaks in ONE wellhead MEANS SOMETHING, BP, YOU f*ck*ng STUPID ASSHOLES!!!!

So I hope they do it. Tired of beating my head against the rig floor here. Go ahead. Entertain us, BP.

New reality series: Disaster Clowns

I won't miss an episode.

:headshake:

#49 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

^
That's a pretty scary posting from "fishgrease", Nick. :(
Posted Image

#50 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

This just gets worse and worse doesn't it.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#51 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

Tropical Depression 3's will likely cause a disruption to well-killing efforts.  If they have to bring the ships in, they will likely need to open the cap back up and resume venting oil into the Gulf until the storm passes. :(

#52 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

Urrk. This one could hit the oil spill dead center. :barf:

http://www.msnbc.msn...er_in_the_gulf/

http://www.wundergro...g/at201003.html

Keep hands and feat inside the cab at all times!

enTranced
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BP Spill, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users