• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Anyone play euro-style board games?  I've got a regular weekly group (on a bit of a semi-regular basis now, with the recent arrival of my daughter), and my wife and I play regularly.

Favourites lately are Dominion, Stone Age, Roll Through the Ages...  I love Caylus and the Battlestar Galactica game, but they're a bigger time commitment.

Anyone play online at yucata.de?  I'd be happy to add you to my buddy list!
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#2 T_H_Phoenix

T_H_Phoenix
  • Islander
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

What defines a Euro-style board game?
Posted Image

#3 Rhys

Rhys

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

Well...  Here's the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame

I guess Settlers of Catan is the best-known one.  They tend to be economic in nature, emphasis on players' choices rather than randomness, no player elimination, and most play in an hour or two (sometimes less).

Basically, they're the other end of the spectrum from Monopoly. :)
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

#4 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

My network of friends are all pretty active with euro-gaming.  Several of them are regulars at a local game store that has open gaming on weekends.

I'm a bit more on the fringe, myself, but I do enjoy them when we play.  I love love *love* Puerto Rico, and have been wanting to try Dominion again... I've only played one learning game so far.  I'm also curious to try Agricola, since it seemed like such a big deal when the store first got it in stock.

Beyond those, I've tended to veer more toward card games than serious board ones.  They just feel like a little less of a serious *commitment* to play them. :)  I like the card-game version of Ticket to Ride, and played a couple called Guillotine and No Thanks recently that were fun.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#5 Rhys

Rhys

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

View PostNiko, on 20 July 2010 - 09:40 PM, said:

played a couple called Guillotine and No Thanks recently that were fun.

Guillotine's kinda fun.  No Thanks! is a favourite for when we have a little time left at the end of the night here.

#6 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Dominion is hugely fun. Given you like Puerto Rico and like card games, I'd suggest Race for Galaxy as well. It's got an interesting take on the role selection from PR, and generally flows pretty fast.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Never heard of them, but they sound like fun! I'll keep an eye out :)

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#8 Rhys

Rhys

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

View PostUoR11, on 10 August 2010 - 01:14 PM, said:

Dominion is hugely fun. Given you like Puerto Rico and like card games, I'd suggest Race for Galaxy as well. It's got an interesting take on the role selection from PR, and generally flows pretty fast.

Dominion and RftG are my two most-played games - primarily because my wife & I will sit down and play 3 rounds in a sitting...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users