17 replies to this topic

#1 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

Story here: http://www.mlive.com...k_that_lea.html

MARSHALL — More than 800,000 gallons of oil have been released into a creek in Marshall that feeds the Kalamazoo River.

Houston-based Enbridge Energy Partners said Monday that oil flowed into the Talmadge Creek and the Kalamazoo River after a leak developed in its pipeline.

Enbridge said the 30-inch pipeline transfers about 8 million gallons of crude oil a day from Griffith, Ind., to Sarnia, Ontario. The leak originated from the Enbridge site, 16000 Division Drive, near the border of Marshall and Fredonia townships in central Calhoun County, according to a report Battle Creek Enquirer’s website.

The pipeline crosses the Talmadge Creek about one-and-a-half miles southeast of the Kalamazoo River.

After Enbridge  learned of the spill, the pipeline was shut down and isolation valves were closed, stopping the flow of oil. Enbridge crews were on scene Monday with oil skimmers and booms on the creek and river, a press release from the company said.

This is literally in my backyard--sources conflict on whether the spill will reach Lake Michigan or not, but even if it doesn't...this area has been hurt enough in the past few years. This is the last thing we need.

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

I'm terribly sorry to hear this, Lyric. :(

You might be done with this, but not the idiots behind such screw-ups. :angry: Not by a long shot.  :glare:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

Another oil spill?  What, are they trying to get in on the new fad?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

^ It's not really new though is it, spills have happened for a past time for decades.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#5 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Here's an update: http://www.mlive.com...eclared_as.html

AUGUSTA — Kalamazoo County officials declared a state of emergency Tuesday afternoon as more than 800,000 gallons of oil released into a creek began making its way downstream in the Kalamazoo River.

“I just came from Fort Custer and you can smell it now,” Kalamazoo County Undersheriff Pali Matyas said. “... It’s all rolling downhill and there are a lot of complications.”

I get to go home to all this next week. Oiled birds and a lake I probably won't be able to swim in.

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

{{{{{{{Lyric}}}}}}}    :(

View PostSparkyCola, on 27 July 2010 - 02:56 PM, said:

^ It's not really new though is it, spills have happened for a past time for decades.

Sparky
The level of attention is what's new.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

View PostNonny, on 27 July 2010 - 04:04 PM, said:

Sparky

And once more...

Huge spills happening in the richest country in the world? News. Huge spills happening for decades in poor countries filled with black folks? Not so much. The latter is only talked about BECAUSE of what happened with the rich country, and with a "Oh, and by the way..." afterthought. :glare:

:angry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#8 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 27 July 2010 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on 27 July 2010 - 04:04 PM, said:

Sparky

And once more...

Huge spills happening in the richest country in the world? News. Huge spills happening for decades in poor countries filled with black folks? Not so much. The latter is only talked about BECAUSE of what happened with the rich country, and with a "Oh, and by the way..." afterthought. :glare:

:angry:

You know...the Michigan spill might be getting national attention, but nowhere near the same emotional response from either news organizations or the audience as the Gulf spill. Most news articles lead with something like "Michigan gets its own BP spill" or "It's a tiny spill, nothing like in the Gulf, but..." In general I'm getting the sense that nobody cares, unless they want to make a point about how "it's time to get away from oil."

In the Gulf, beaches, wildlife, and livelihoods are at stake. In Michigan, those things and lives are at stake. The oil isn't something you go out of your way to see--it's right in the middle of communities, in people's yards. Apparently kids and the elderly are having severe reactions to the fumes, and many families are trying to escape the smell. (http://www.wwmt.com/...g-marshall.html)

I was really upset about this whole thing yesterday, and one of my fellow interns said, as if to cheer me up, "But Michigan is already a horrible state, right?"

Is that honestly the prevailing opinion? That Michigan is "horrible" and not worth caring about? Or is it just that people are wrapped up in one oil spill and don't have the attention for another? Or do people just not understand the magnitude? The number of gallons is smaller, therefore the story is smaller, too?

Louisiana isn't the only state that keeps getting hit hard with b*llsh*t, and it would be nice to know that the nation cares about us and beavers as much as they care about fishermen and pelicans.

Btw, I'm saying this as someone who is livid as anyone else when it comes to the BP spill. Who knows what the impact will be on the Gulf in decades to come. I'm not belittling the giant mess washing up on previously gorgeous beaches down south or the uncountable loss of wildlife. I am pointing out that the spill in Michigan deserves more attention and outrage than it's getting. I wonder how much press this would have without the Gulf spill? Then again, if fellow countrymen everywhere think it's a "horrible state," then maybe the press coverage is about right.

Edited by Lyric of Delphi, 28 July 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

Lyric,

In case I wasn't being clear-

I believe that ALL of these spills should be given equal attention and care-not just by the press but by those who can actually make important changes. The problem, unfortunately, is that it's just not a realistic thing to expect. It comes down to agendas, indifference, class biases, racial biases and lack of intelligence and common sense. :(
Posted Image

#10 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 28 July 2010 - 09:51 PM, said:

Lyric,

I believe that ALL of these spills should be given equal attention and care-not just by the press but by those who can actually make important changes. The problem, unfortunately, is that it's just not a realistic thing to expect. It comes down to agendas, indifference, class biases, racial biases and lack of intelligence and common sense. :(

You were clear. I appreciated your post a lot--I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that in my post (in fact I probably shouldn't have quoted your conversation when my post started going a different direction). I wasn't targeting you at all. I'm only wondering where Michigan falls in the spectrum of caring.

Edited by Lyric of Delphi, 28 July 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

View PostLyric of Delphi, on 28 July 2010 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostAnalog Kid, on 28 July 2010 - 09:51 PM, said:

Lyric,

You were clear. I appreciated your post a lot--I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that in my post. I wasn't targeting you at all. I'm only wondering where Michigan falls in the spectrum of caring.

{{{Lyric}}}

The Niger Delta has been going through this kind of crap for 50 years. While they felt sympathy for the Gulf residents, they were bewildered because no one gave THEM this kind of attention.

Like I said in another thread-who cares about some poor black folks in some forgotten sh!thole in Africa? That's how quite a few folks view it. :(  :glare:
Posted Image

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Lyric,

You might also want to check out this thread. This deals with more homegrown pollution and indifference, going on for years.  :glare:
Posted Image

#13 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

View PostLyric of Delphi, on 28 July 2010 - 09:30 PM, said:

You know...the Michigan spill might be getting national attention, but nowhere near the same emotional response from either news organizations or the audience as the Gulf spill. Most news articles lead with something like "Michigan gets its own BP spill" or "It's a tiny spill, nothing like in the Gulf, but..." In general I'm getting the sense that nobody cares, unless they want to make a point about how "it's time to get away from oil."

In the Gulf, beaches, wildlife, and livelihoods are at stake. In Michigan, those things and lives are at stake. The oil isn't something you go out of your way to see--it's right in the middle of communities, in people's yards. Apparently kids and the elderly are having severe reactions to the fumes, and many families are trying to escape the smell. (http://www.wwmt.com/...g-marshall.html)

I was really upset about this whole thing yesterday, and one of my fellow interns said, as if to cheer me up, "But Michigan is already a horrible state, right?"

In fact, evacuations have been urged in the area of the spill....

Evacuations recommended in area of Michigan oil spill

...which is now estimated to be more than 1 million gallons...

EPA estimate on oil spill

...and supposedly, from one article I read, it's heading towards Lake Michigan.  Sorry, I don't have a link on that one.

{{{{{{{{Lyric}}}}}}}

Obviously, your fellow intern has never visited the Hiawatha National Forest...the Manistique Lakes area...the Straits...the Kalamazoo River, or any of a number of other beautiful areas in our state.  

Thanks for posting this...I came here tonight to do just that myself, then saw you already had a thread started.

Peridot
Posted Image

#14 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:44 AM

{{{{{{{{{Lyric}}}}}}}}}}}

That really sucks :(

Also - agreed entirely with AK.

^ + money. Money and politics are usually at the heart of everything. Nigeria is considered "insignificant" by the media because they don't have much money or power to sway anyone else.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#15 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:39 AM

And to add ... Nigeria is worlds away.  Literally.  I think people have a really hard time putting things into perspective when something like that is all the way in Africa.  So it becomes pushed under the rug more.  I wonder how many people even know where Nigeria is in relation to what part of Africa.  It's hard to report news when the general populace cares more about American Idol results than oil spills in country that few even could pinpoint on a map and I think that's horrible.  

It's a shame that there is yet another oil spill and maybe people care more about the Gulf because it's warmer etc. but I agree that they should be caring about the spill in Michigan as well.  The Michigan spill is a heck of a lot closer to Buffalo than the Gulf one.

#16 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 30 July 2010 - 03:44 AM, said:

{{{{{{{{{Lyric}}}}}}}}}}}

That really sucks :(

Also - agreed entirely with AK.

^ + money. Money and politics are usually at the heart of everything. Nigeria is considered "insignificant" by the media because they don't have much money or power to sway anyone else.

Sparky

Yup. (Why I omitted that, I don't know; I was a bit tired when I wrote that post. :tired: ) And money also fits into class bias.
Posted Image

#17 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

View Postobisidianstorm13, on 30 July 2010 - 04:39 AM, said:

And to add ... Nigeria is worlds away.  Literally.  I think people have a really hard time putting things into perspective when something like that is all the way in Africa.  So it becomes pushed under the rug more.  I wonder how many people even know where Nigeria is in relation to what part of Africa.  It's hard to report news when the general populace cares more about American Idol results than oil spills in country that few even could pinpoint on a map and I think that's horrible.

Yup-but in particular, what I bolded. The only thing worse than ignorance is WILLFUL ignorance. It's not only that Nigeria is worlds away. it's that a number of folks figure it doesn't fit into their every-day reality, so why should they care? Those people simply DO NOT MATTER. And frankly, I find that attitude idiotic and infuriating. One of the ways you learn in life is by observing others, and if you willfully shut yourself away from people in other countries because they don't matter in your every-day reality, then you're handicapping yourself. That's incredibly stupid. :headshake:  :glare:
Posted Image

#18 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

View PostLyric of Delphi, on 28 July 2010 - 09:30 PM, said:

I was born a Buckeye, but I find it horrifying that someone would say this in such a context.    :(   :angry:

Is that honestly the prevailing opinion? That Michigan is "horrible" and not worth caring about? Or is it just that people are wrapped up in one oil spill and don't have the attention for another? Or do people just not understand the magnitude? The number of gallons is smaller, therefore the story is smaller, too?
I think that many people are overwhelmed by the horror of the Gulf spill, and are even more overwhelmed by the reports of even worse spills that we'd never heard of that followed.  Some of us will ponder the horrors we've yet to hear, others will tune out.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Oil spill, Michigan, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users