Worms Reloaded

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

Ok, sort of a return to 2D. The game engine is clearly using 3D models and lots of 3D effects but the game itself plays like the classic Worms games.

Worms Reloaded is going to be a Steam exclusive but the requirements are low enough that even people with slower computers should be able to play it. Personally, I can't wait. I've been waiting for years for the next 2D Worms game to come out and it looks like the game gods are finally delivering.

http://store.steampo...d.com/app/22600

Make sure to watch the trailer! :D
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#2 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

WORMS WORMS WORMS WORMS!

On Worms Armageddon I was once challenged by Alica to "keep going on the super sheep training until she got back from her driving lesson"

Anyway... her driving lesson was for an hour.

She hit traffic and got back late.

2 and half hours later I was still flying when she got back. Had about 10 minutes left on the clock because I was gaining more time than I was losing on a round so if my hands didn't hurt I could have kept going indefinitely. I let the sheep fly straight in the air until the time was up but it's still a record I never expect to beat.

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

:lol: I was always SO bad with the Super Sheep. I'd always have an outstanding start and then I'd crash in the most moronic way imaginable. The Ninja Rope, on the other hand, was my weapon of choice. :D

It looks like they've added some new customizations in this version of the game too. My favorite? Silly hats! :lol:

#4 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,632 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:43 AM

View PostBalthamos, on 30 July 2010 - 11:51 AM, said:

WORMS WORMS WORMS WORMS!

On Worms Armageddon I was once challenged by Alica to "keep going on the super sheep training until she got back from her driving lesson"

Anyway... her driving lesson was for an hour.

She hit traffic and got back late.

2 and half hours later I was still flying when she got back. Had about 10 minutes left on the clock because I was gaining more time than I was losing on a round so if my hands didn't hurt I could have kept going indefinitely. I let the sheep fly straight in the air until the time was up but it's still a record I never expect to beat.

:lol: I'd forgotten about that! You were insanely good at Worms. You could even throw grenades accurately!

View PostNeuralClone, on 30 July 2010 - 11:54 AM, said:

:lol: I was always SO bad with the Super Sheep. I'd always have an outstanding start and then I'd crash in the most moronic way imaginable. The Ninja Rope, on the other hand, was my weapon of choice. :D

It looks like they've added some new customizations in this version of the game too. My favorite? Silly hats! :lol:

Despite Balth patiently trying to teach me, I still sucked at ninja roping :p there was a knack and I didn't have it!

I'm excited about this, but I'll have to check it more when I'm not supposed to be learning about Office 2007.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Alica, 02 August 2010 - 03:46 AM.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#5 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,632 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Okay, now I've watched it. OMGSOEXCITED!!!!!

I *love* 2D Worms. It looks awesome. And hopefully should be vista compatible. Squeeee!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

^ My reaction exactly. :D

#7 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

I've been playing this quite a bit these past few days. Pretty good game. I don't think it's as good as Armageddon or World Party, but it's close behind them. My biggest problem with the game is that they've actually removed customization. And some of the choices are a little baffling. They don't break the game but they hold it back from being better than it should be.

My biggest gripe is that you can no longer choose where to place your worms before a match. It's always randomized. While this isn't the end of the world, it also means more matches can be won simply because of lucky placement. And it sometimes has a tendency to group 2 or 3 worms together. So all it takes is one perfectly placed shot to take out 3/4 of the enemy team. This doesn't happen incredibly often, but it's really frustrating when it does. You don't even have a chance to defend yourself. You're also limited to teams of 4 worms now. No more crazy 8 worm teams. While some may have an issue with this, the smaller team size doesn't really bother me. Unfortunately, this also means much smaller maps for the most part. It'd be nice to have some larger map types available in future updates. Some of the areas can feel a little cramped.

The game has tons of customization options but it would have been nice if the match parameters were a little easier to modify and if were a few more general options. In order to edit a team or the weapons/settings for a match, you need to go to a separate customization menu on the main menu. This isn't really a huge deal, but it should at least give you the option to edit/create game types and teams from these screens.

It's very obvious that this is a console port too. The main menus really could have used a bit of a reworking for the PC version. And you can no longer get drop down menus for weapons, voices, etc. It's rather annoying having to manually click through each voice/weapon/etc. simply to get to the one you want. This is a PC game and requires a mouse. There's really no excuse for not having drop down menus.

Random map generation is as good as ever and there are some great new map types. My favorite is a really tall pillar-like structure. And the silly hats are a blast. So are many of the new voices. Poor Rapper is one of my favorites at the moment but I haven't really tried too many. Many of the classic voices from Armageddon and World Party make a return. The game has TONS of weapons as usual. Some are new and are unique to Reloaded, but many of the classic weapons from previous Worms games return as well. The Concrete Donkey, Holy Hand Grenade, Banana Bomb, Ninja Rope, and many others. Sadly, the Skunk and Old Woman are nowhere to be found. But instead you have weapons like the Buffalo of Lies (explodes 6 times), Armageddon (this weapon is WAY too powerful -- I suggest either not playing with it or setting a really high delay), Earthquake, Termites, Ferrets, Lightning Strike, Air Strike, Bunker Buster, and tons of other weapons and utilities. Even if there are some weapons I would have liked to see return again, there are so many weapons and utilities available that it's hard not to have fun with them.

Despite my complaints and even if there are some really irritating bugs that could use fixing, I'm loving Worms: Reloaded. It isn't the best Worms game ever made but it's a huge improvement over Worms 3D and Worms 4. Worms is a series that really needs to stick to what it does best: turn-based, violent mayhem with crazy weapons. Moving to 3D was an interesting experiment but it just isn't the same unless you play it in 2D. Worms: Reloaded is a huge step in the right direction. It just needs a little more polishing through patches and it'll be on the level of Armageddon and World Party.

Edited by NeuralClone, 28 August 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#8 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Oh and I should mention that Ninja Rope physics are a little different now. You can't pull off some of the same crazy maneuvers that you used to be able to pull off quite as easily. It's very difficult to move vertically, for example. The rope behaves more like a real rope. It's still possible to launch yourself vertically, but it's much harder.

Also, the AI for the computer is horrendous. It goes from being ridiculously accurate (to the point where it can perfectly throw a grenade across a map and have it land right on its target) to blowing up its own team or killing itself. So I definitely recommend playing the game against actual humans. It will be a lot more fun that way.

Most of the campaign missions are incredibly easy too if you've played other Worms games. I suppose that's a good thing since you use this mode to unlock weapons, landscapes, hats, etc. But it would have been nice to have some of the challenge back that World Party and Armageddon provided. Granted, some of the later missions can be rather tricky and the 5 or 6 missions you can unlock provide a nice challenge. Although experienced Worms players may still be able to walk through them relatively quickly.

Ultimately, this is a multiplayer game. There's some fun single player stuff but multiplayer is where most of the fun is at. ;)

Edited by NeuralClone, 28 August 2010 - 05:17 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users