7 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Another Pill That Could Cause a Revolution

Could the decades-long global impasse over abortion worldwide be overcome — by little white pills costing less than $1 each?

That seems possible, for these pills are beginning to revolutionize abortion around the world, especially in poor countries. One result may be tens of thousands of women’s lives saved each year.

Five-sixths of abortions take place in developing countries, where poor sterilization and training often make the procedure dangerous. Up to 70,000 women die a year from complications of abortions, according to the World Health Organization.

But researchers are finding an alternative that is safe, cheap and very difficult for governments to restrict — misoprostol, a medication originally intended to prevent stomach ulcers....
Excellent news!
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Italics my addition.

This pharmaceutical approach is called "medical abortion." In the United States and Europe it typically consists of two sets of "M" pills. The first is mifepristone, formerly known as RU-486, and then a day or two later the misoprostol.

Using the drugs in combination produces a miscarriage more than 95 percent of the time in early pregnancy. But mifepristone (RU-486, or the "morning after" pill) is difficult to obtain in much of the world, because it is used only to induce abortions. In contrast, misoprostol is very widely available and can't easily be banned because it is also used for ulcers and can save lives of women with postpartum hemorrhages. Whatever one thinks of misoprostol for abortions, it also is a potential lifesaver for women who hemorrhage after childbirth.

Researchers are finding that if women take misoprostol alone, effectiveness drops to 80 to 85 percent. That may sound low, but it's typically far better and safer than alternatives that women turn to, Dr. Winikoff noted.

Those 70,000 women who bled to death would still likely be alive if they could have taken the combination of RU-486 and misoprostol. If they could at least have taken misoprostol alone, that still is 56,000 women who might still be alive.

If nothing else, what's going on in third-world countries ought to make it clear that when abortion is illegal, women have them anyway, and many die. I've tried to explain to folks who weren't alive or weren't of childbearing age when abortion was still illegal in this country that desperate women have them anyway. Back-street abortions are horrific; going out of the country and paying "doctors" to perform abortions in unsanitary conditions more so; young women shoving coat-hangers into their ueteri attempting to get rid of a baby even more horrific - and young women who die because of such abortions are a lot of lost potential.

I've often wondered who they were and might have been - was this one a wife who was desperate not to have another baby with an abusive husband? Could this young woman have been a doctor one day? A teacher? A happy wife? Each of those 70,000 women could have been something more - someone more - if she hadn't died, usually bleeding to death.

I had two friends who had backstreet abortions - where I went to high school they'd get "mononucleosis" and go to Calexico (Mexico) for an abortion - one of them died of a hemorrhage and the other became sterile from an infection that almost killed her. The sense of loss for my two friends (the one who was rendered sterile later hung herself) was overwhelming. Neither one need have died if abortion had been legal back then. Then think of 70,000 women dead.

Edited by Rhea, 01 August 2010 - 09:16 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

If it's a good thing for women I'm sure they will try and keep it from us.  Meanwhile for the
cost of a postage stamp you can get a bigger penis.  :p

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

*snerk*     :rolleyes:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

View PostBalderdash, on 02 August 2010 - 10:59 AM, said:

If it's a good thing for women I'm sure they will try and keep it from us.  Meanwhile for the
cost of a postage stamp you can get a bigger penis.  :p

Mark: You can get a bigger penis at the local bars for free.  :lol:

Edited by Mark, 02 August 2010 - 07:55 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#6 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

Is there a time limit on taking these pills?
I would think that they must be done within a month or so of pregnancy to be completely safe. My fear is that women four, five or more months along might want to use them. Aborting a foetus that late could have big repercussions physically, surely?
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#7 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Well the article said that taking the pill later would cause a natural-appearing miscarriage.  So no, it's not going to be healthy to take later in the pregnancy, as miscarriage itself can be hard on the body.  Most miscarriages aren't the truly problematic part, most often the real problem is the underlying medical reason for the miscarriage.  Still, it pointed out that being indistinguishable from a natural miscarriage women in countries where abortion is illegal can still seek medical aide without fear of repercussion, so they'll be far more likely to seek out a doctor if a complication happens.

Also, again in places where a later term abortion is illegal, women who feel they HAVE to have one will do some pretty desperate things.  I'd much rather a woman take a pill and take the risks associated therewith then to try to use coat hangers, back alley abortions, self-inflicted abdominal trauma, or unsafe drugs to end the pregnancy.  So certainly not perfect, but much better then current.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

View PostNikcara, on 04 August 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

Well the article said that taking the pill later would cause a natural-appearing miscarriage.  So no, it's not going to be healthy to take later in the pregnancy, as miscarriage itself can be hard on the body.  Most miscarriages aren't the truly problematic part, most often the real problem is the underlying medical reason for the miscarriage.  Still, it pointed out that being indistinguishable from a natural miscarriage women in countries where abortion is illegal can still seek medical aide without fear of repercussion, so they'll be far more likely to seek out a doctor if a complication happens.

Also, again in places where a later term abortion is illegal, women who feel they HAVE to have one will do some pretty desperate things.  I'd much rather a woman take a pill and take the risks associated therewith then to try to use coat hangers, back alley abortions, self-inflicted abdominal trauma, or unsafe drugs to end the pregnancy.  So certainly not perfect, but much better then current.
Though I would have been killed by a miscarriage, I must agree on all counts.  And though I would prefer to see abortion safe, legal and available, especially for women and girls like me, the fact remains that that is not likely in a lot of places.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Abortion, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users