3 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:22 AM

Article
Live blog updates on Guardian

(CNN) -- As the relief effort in flood-hit Pakistan intensified Monday, officials were bracing themselves for an outbreak of disease among the millions affected by the country's worst deluge in 80 years.

Rushing floodwaters and mudslides triggered by monsoon rains have engulfed large swathes of northwestern Pakistan since Thursday, killing an estimated 1,100 people as entire communities were swept away or cut off.

Now government officials are concerned a lack of drinking water is spreading conditions such as cholera and gastroenteritis in affected areas such as the Swat Valley in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Agence France-Presse reported.

"We estimate that about 100,000 people, mostly children, have been hit by cholera and gastro diseases," Syed Zahir Ali Shah, health minister for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, was quoted by AFP as saying.

:(

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

There was a terrifying report on BBC World this morning.  I wonder who benefitted by the release of dam waters that washed away 20000 (I'm pretty sure I heard that right  :( ) houses.  Plus, people are fighting each other over food drops, leaving some injured and some hungry.    :(

Edited by Nonny, 02 August 2010 - 12:18 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

It's terrible :( What with this and the plane crash they had the other day, Pakistan really aren't having much luck recently! :(

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

:( I haven't been able to keep up much on the news lately, been busy with some kids visiting, but I heard about this :(
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Flooding in Pakistan, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users