• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cylkoth

cylkoth

I'm a non attorney spokesperson

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

I've been going back and forth over whether a home theater pc or game console would suit my needs. Not really into playing video games. My primary desire is to stream internet video to watch on tv, rather than watch on the computer monitor. I like that the consoles look smaller than even a slim pc, and wouldn't take up too much room. I've been scanning ebay, and have seen a number of refurbished xboxes and WIIs going for less than half their retail prices, so my interest in them has been heightened. But I would like to know a little bit about how well each console handles streaming from sites like Hulu, etc.
I was shocked to learn with the Xbox, Netflix subscribers must subscribe to something called Xbox Gold Live-wait, we have to pay a monthly fee in order to have the box access a service we're already paying for? Alriiiiighty then, points off for that. While I already have a blu ray player with Netflix capability, it's not that big of a deal, But the idea that you're forced to pony up to have your NF account viewable on the Xbox is seriously wrong.
That leaves the WII and PS3. How are they for streaming video off the internet? I read that the WII has a browser built in, are there USB ports on it so a keyboard can be connected?

Any advice on these would be welcome. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------
Am I Blue?
Am I Blue...
Ain't these tears, in my eyes, telling you?

#2 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

I would suggest the PS3. It plays more internet videos than the Wii and has a Blu-Ray player.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

The Xbox or PS3 are better options for streaming content and can also play DVDs. The PS3 has an advantage in that it can also play Blu-ray discs. Personally, I think that would be the better option for a home theater system.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#4 cylkoth

cylkoth

I'm a non attorney spokesperson

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

Thanks...don't have a home theater set up or anything-dragging my feet on plunging for a flat screen. Comcast's digital tier doesn't look all that great on the hdtv sets at friend's homes, so I haven't been in the biggest rush to move on up, and waste extra dough for their HD service. Getting one of these may tempt me to cut the cable cord altogether.
------------------------------------------------------
Am I Blue?
Am I Blue...
Ain't these tears, in my eyes, telling you?

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

View Postcylkoth, on 18 August 2010 - 11:10 PM, said:

Thanks...don't have a home theater set up or anything-dragging my feet on plunging for a flat screen. Comcast's digital tier doesn't look all that great on the hdtv sets at friend's homes, so I haven't been in the biggest rush to move on up, and waste extra dough for their HD service. Getting one of these may tempt me to cut the cable cord altogether.

If you want a console that will help you build a home theater system then I would suggest the PS3. It can do anything the XBOX can but it also gives you a great Blu-Ray player.

By this token the WII would be the worse system to build a home theater system on since it is limited by it's standard resolution (although it can do Netflix just not in HD).

ETA - By the way Comcast will have no effect how your Blu-Ray disks look or your streamed Netflix movies, that will all be powered by your player, whatever one you pick.

I have Verizon Fios for my TV watching and as great as it is (and it is indeed great!) my movies and games STILL look 50% better on the PS3. Spend come coin and get good quality HDMI cables and you will be surprised at how great HD video looks.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 20 August 2010 - 10:23 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users