Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 28,337 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

:freakoutnonny:   No Drom without KHC!    :tyr:  :love:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"One man's vulgarity is another's lyric."  Justice John Marshall Harlan, 1971

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.  

If the Dems are "job killers" then the GOP are job abortionists.  

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

Tea Party organizers may want to run away from the facts, but they're not that fast, and the American people are not that slow.  Charles M. Blow

GOP holding up health care, your money or your life.  

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Continue to say nothing if you agree. House

If corporations are people, NBC was my first wife!  P J O'Rourke

#102 Douglas

Douglas
  • Islander
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Staying out of the casting discussions, some thoughts on the universe:
1) A mood of desperation
Shortages and supply problems should become an issue early on, and stay an issue.  Dylan can only auction off stuff for so long, at some point he's going to have to work put how to get his hands on parts and supplies when he doesn't have the Commonwealth's tax payers to support him, with all the potential for moral compromises that entails.  

2) All politics are local
Rather than being in a different galaxy every few episodes, keep the action relatively local at least early on.  Develop a few local factions in the area of space they're in,  with their own problems and animosities, with unknown threats appearing whenever the Andromeda leaves the set of systems they usually interact with.  After a half season or a season when the crew have finally managed to bash out some kind of order and cooperation in that zone it's time to unveil the larger dangers.

3) No space for frills
The look of the Commonwealth and High guard vessels is excellent, but for the post-fall ships and gear a "used future" aesthetic should be embraced, and extended to other aspects of society.  Whenever you have local militia or some planet's military troops, have them use smaller markers like armbands for identification rather than any standard uniforms, though they should still be trying for things like pockets and camo (for planetary troops)when you're backs to the wall sometimes you just can't afford dress uniforms.  (I'm looking at you Castallians!)

4) Tone down technological decay
While loss of infrastructure does stop large projects, and interfere with the communication of theoretical scientific knowledge, any knowledge that is of practical use is unlikely to deteriorate in a "Dark Age" scenario (there's a reason historians don't use that phrase anymore).  The ships of 300 years after the fall of the Commonwealth should be smaller and not as well maintained, but they should be fully as advanced as the ships of the Andromeda's own time.

#103 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,795 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Just a minor nitpick, but given that slipstream travel is independent of normal-space distances, several systems could be "adjacent" to one another in practical terms while still being in separate galaxies.  So "local" would be defined in terms of how many slipstream hops it would take to get between two systems, not how far apart they are physically.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel
Written Worlds -- My blog
Facebook Author Page

#104 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

My cast for the summer event movie version of Andromeda:

Dylan Hunt-- Dwayne Johnson. Yes, seriously.

Gaheris Rhade-- Idris Elba.

Sif Anasazi (Tyr and Beka folded into one character)-- Rosario Dawson.

Rommie-- Emma Stone (must be beautiful but snarky!)

Seamus Harper-- Michael Cera.  I'd like to see the deadpan version of this character as much as the overcaffeinated one we're familiar with.

Trance Gemini-- Summer Glau.

Rev Bem-- Doug Jones in a motion capture suit. If he can't get the voice, get Anthony Hopkins.

Gerentex-- Alan Rickman.  Cause it's my movie, dammit.

Story:  I'll save it for my next post....
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#105 NeuralClone

NeuralClone

Fire and Blood

• Islander
  • 22,893 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

Enver Gjokaj or Fran Kranz as Harper is so full of win I don't even know how to put it into words. Absolutely perfect.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#106 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

Things I'd want in a reboot, whether TV or film:

1.  A reasonable budget

2.  First stab at script

3.  If TV, a certain pair of ampersanded writers either on staff or running things themselves

4.  There is no four

PS Lots of story suggestions here, which I didn't read 'cause, you know, the rules and such.  But it's fun to see all this energy.  My God, Zack, what hath thou wrought?

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#107 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

View PostMuseZack, on 25 August 2010 - 02:57 PM, said:

My cast for the summer event movie version of Andromeda:

Dylan Hunt-- Dwayne Johnson. Yes, seriously.

Actually I can see that.  Liev Schreiber would work in a more serious vein.  I pick Hugh Jackman though.

Gaheris Rhade-- Idris Elba.

That could work.  How about Brian Austin Green, since we blew our casting budget on Dylan?

Sif Anasazi (Tyr and Beka folded into one character)-- Rosario Dawson.

Revert to the original premise where they're the same character?  Sure thing.  But the character's name was Freya Anasazi.  =)  Rosario works.  So would Grace Park.  How big is our budget?  Can we get Angelina Jolie?  =P  Zoe Saldana?

Rommie-- Emma Stone (must be beautiful but snarky!)

Summer Glau goes here, not there.  Grace Park here if we haven't used her as Beka/Freya.

Seamus Harper-- Michael Cera.  I'd like to see the deadpan version of this character as much as the overcaffeinated one we're familiar with.

That works.  But he will  have to get punched.  Repeatedly.  Also Aaron Johnson or Chris Mintz-Plasse.  Who need punching too, but that's okay.

Trance Gemini-- Summer Glau.

Not playful enough, plus she's already been cast as Rommie.  Ellen Page, Alison Pill, Emmy Wong.  Perfect and they're all Canadian, which is traditional.  If we want to go non-Canadian, Lyndsy Fonseca.

Rev Bem-- Doug Jones in a motion capture suit. If he can't get the voice, get Anthony Hopkins.

Dude, Andy Serkis in a mo-cap suit.  Done.

Gerentex-- Alan Rickman.  Cause it's my movie, dammit.

f*ck yes.

Voice of the Beehive

#108 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

I must admit all of this does remind me of this:

http://www.theonion....u-ask-me,17765/

Voice of the Beehive

#109 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,795 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Here's a thought: make the movie in Hong Kong.  Chow Yun-Fat as Dylan, Jet Li as Tyr, Michelle Yeoh as Beka, Jackie Chan as Harper, Maggie Q as Rommie, Sammo Hung as Rev, and Zhang Ziyi as Trance. :D
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel
Facebook Author Page

#110 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

How did I not have Allison Scagliotti on my list of Trances?  FIXED!

And I left Scarlett Johanson and Jennifer Garner off my list of Beka's.  So that's wrong.

Edited by Robert Hewitt Wolfe, 25 August 2010 - 05:13 PM.

Voice of the Beehive

#111 T_H_Phoenix

T_H_Phoenix
  • Islander
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

Christopher, on 25 August 2010 - 05:45 PM, said:

Here's a thought: make the movie in Hong Kong.  Chow Yun-Fat as Dylan, Jet Li as Tyr, Michelle Yeoh as Beka, Jackie Chan as Harper, Maggie Q as Rommie, Sammo Hung as Rev, and Zhang Ziyi as Trance. :D

Actually.... That would be pretty freakin' cool.
Posted Image

#112 DarthHunter

DarthHunter

Argosy Captain

• Islander
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on 25 August 2010 - 04:19 PM, said:

4.  There is no four
I don't get it

PS Lots of story suggestions here, which I didn't read 'cause, you know, the rules and such.  But it's fun to see all this energy.  My God, Zack, what hath thou wrought?
If you haven't read them, how do you know they're story suggestions? :p
Posted Image

#113 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

View PostDarthHunter, on 25 August 2010 - 05:17 PM, said:

If you haven't read them, how do you know they're story suggestions? Posted Image

From years of practice, I am able to recognize a story suggestion from the general shape of the paragraph, then voluntarily constrict my pupils, which signals my brain to stop paying attention instantly.  I then slam my head repeatedly into a wall, causing temporary amnesia, which allows my to forget any minor details inadvertantly absorbed.

It's a skill set.

Voice of the Beehive

#114 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,795 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

^You should've just said "My writer-sense was tingling."

Facebook Author Page

#115 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Watchdog
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on 25 August 2010 - 05:24 PM, said:

From years of practice, I am able to recognize a story suggestion from the general shape of the paragraph, then voluntarily constrict my pupils, which signals my brain to stop paying attention instantly.  I then slam my head repeatedly into a wall, causing temporary amnesia, which allows my to forget any minor details inadvertantly absorbed.

It's a skill set.

That's pretty much how I deal with management at work.

Failing that, I refer to the David Warner method (from the TALES FROM THE CRYPT episode "THE NEW ARRIVAL")... (snaps fingers while saying) ignore it, ignore it, ignore it.

#116 Lord Martock

Lord Martock
  • Islander
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on 25 August 2010 - 05:05 PM, said:

How did I not have Allison Scagliotti on my list of Trances?  FIXED!

And I left Scarlett Johanson and Jennifer Garner off my list of Beka's.  So that's wrong.

oh hell ya.  Allison as Trance, Summer as Rommie, and Scarlett as Beka....definately watch-able.

Oh ya....bigger budget too.
May the Schwartz be with you.
Remember, No matter where you go....There you are.
It's a trick.....Get the Axe!

Posted Image

#117 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Don't look now, but thanks to that wicked minx Charlie Jane Anders, this thread has made it to IO9.com!
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#118 D'Monix

D'Monix

Wearin My Shades and Seein The Truth

• Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

View PostRobert Hewitt Wolfe, on 25 August 2010 - 05:24 PM, said:

It's a skill set.

Sounds painful...
“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”  -Clint Eastwood

Evil Tea Party Member #667
Evil Republican

#119 D'Monix

D'Monix

Wearin My Shades and Seein The Truth

• Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

me picks for Trance:

Emma Watson (with her new waify look)

or

Dakota Fanning

or

Ashley Green (Alice from the (ick) Twilight movies.)
“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”  -Clint Eastwood

Evil Tea Party Member #667
Evil Republican

#120 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,611 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 23 August 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

But Christopher isn't part of the terror of the Magog (like the Reavers) that they DO seem almost humanoid.  As if all the ugliness of humanity had been distilled into one package and unleashed on people for the purpose of devouring and terrorizing?  It's just a question.

In the context of a remake on SyFi -- which by definition would make it sci-fi on a budget -- I absolutely love that idea.  The horrifying, sentient-eating other -- and they look just like us... which would obviously change how all the other sentients in the tri-galactic area viewed human beings in general, and a human being attempting to resurrect the Commonwealth in particular.  

I definitely would favor a series.  The story was designed to be told long-form.  As Cardie says, a lot of nuance would be lost if it was a movie, or even three movies.  But if it IS s a movie, then motion capture suits all the way -- for all the aliens, not just the Magog.  A realistic sentient insectoid, in particular.  (Can't remember that character's name.)

For casting (TV casting), I tried to think, "who is the Kevin Sorbo of today?"  A TV star looking for his next series, whose name attached to the project would make it a go.  Nobody jumped out at me.  A Matthew Fox?  Eh.  He's great, a real TV star, but would he topline a SyFy series when he could easily step into the lead in any network pilot?  Nah.  

I did immediately think of Taye DIggs as Tyr... but then I thought of Taye Diggs as Dylan.  He's a great actor.  Charismatic, but easily buyable as a by-the-book, hard-ass C.O.  

Things I'd want in a reboot, whether TV or film:

1.  A reasonable budget

2.  First stab at script

3.  If TV, a certain pair of ampersanded writers either on staff or running things themselves

4.  There is no four

Agreed!

View PostMuseZack, on 25 August 2010 - 05:42 PM, said:

Don't look now, but thanks to that wicked minx Charlie Jane Anders, this thread has made it to IO9.com!

Ha.  He lurks?!

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users