• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

It's unclear whether any oil is leaking.

http://www.washingto...0090202590.html

Gulf oil rig explodes off La. coast

The Associated Press
Thursday, September 2, 2010; 11:42 AM

GRAND ISLE, La. -- An offshore oil rig has exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, west of the site of the April blast that caused the massive oil spill.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Casey Ranel says the blast was reported by a commercial helicopter company about 9:30 a.m. CDT Thursday. Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.

Ranel says it hasn't been determined whether the structure is a production platform or a drilling rig or whether workers were aboard. Ranel says smoke was reported but it is unclear whether the rig is still burning.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

The Coast guard says it's an oil platform that doesn't do any drilling.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

Yup-just caught this on CNN now as I was getting ready for work. Here we go again!!!!  :freakingout: :wacko:  :headshake: :glare:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Unbelievable.
Posted Image

#5 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...f_rig_explosion

NEW ORLEANS, La. – The Coast Guard is saying that a mile-long oil sheen is spreading from the site off an offshore petroleum platform that exploded in the Gulf of Mexico off Louisiana...

The platform is a fixed petroleum platform that was in production at the time of the fire, according to a homeland security operational update obtained by The Associated Press.

The update said the platform was producing about 58,800 gallons of oil and 900,000 cubic feet of gas per day. The platform can store 4,200 gallons of oil...

The platform was in about 340 feet of water, considered shallow water and far less than the roughly 5,000 feet where BP's well spewed oil and gas for three months after an April rig explosion.

FKA:

#6 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

Why don't we just nuke the hell out of the Gulf of Mexico? That seems like it would be a far more efficient way to destroy it. *sigh*

Edited by NeuralClone, 02 September 2010 - 01:11 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#7 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

View PostPalisade, on 02 September 2010 - 01:06 PM, said:

http://news.yahoo.co...f_rig_explosion

NEW ORLEANS, La. – The Coast Guard is saying that a mile-long oil sheen is spreading from the site off an offshore petroleum platform that exploded in the Gulf of Mexico off Louisiana...

The platform is a fixed petroleum platform that was in production at the time of the fire, according to a homeland security operational update obtained by The Associated Press.

The update said the platform was producing about 58,800 gallons of oil and 900,000 cubic feet of gas per day. The platform can store 4,200 gallons of oil...

The platform was in about 340 feet of water, considered shallow water and far less than the roughly 5,000 feet where BP's well spewed oil and gas for three months after an April rig explosion.

Oh sh*t.

Why don't we just change America the beautiful's words:

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shiningBURNING sea.

This makes me sick, just sick and ashamed of my species.

enTranced
Posted Image

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm starting to think that this stuff is not accidental.
Posted Image

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

Don't you think this is just more of the same in regards to inspections not being done properly and procedures not being followed?

It's been a few months (?) since the BP spill started and you'd think that things would change but somehow I doubt much has.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 02 September 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

Unbelievable.

No...not really.

:tired:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 02 September 2010 - 01:35 PM, said:

Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm starting to think that this stuff is not accidental.

Nah. It's worse.

It's called INEPTITUDE.

:angry:

34,999 wells to blow up go....

:wacko:
Posted Image

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

View PostPalisade, on 02 September 2010 - 11:17 AM, said:

The Coast guard says it's an oil platform that doesn't do any drilling.

There's only one response to this post that's adequate.

:suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:
Posted Image

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 02 September 2010 - 01:10 PM, said:

Why don't we just nuke the hell out of the Gulf of Mexico? That seems like it would be a far more efficient way to destroy it. *sigh*

Hey...it did wonders for Chernobyll...

:silenced:
Posted Image

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

View PostTricia, on 02 September 2010 - 02:39 PM, said:

Don't you think this is just more of the same in regards to inspections not being done properly and procedures not being followed?

Whatever gave you that idea??

:p~
Posted Image

#15 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

Well, now the Coast Guard is saying there is no oil sheen. We'll see...

FKA:

#16 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

I thought this was a great bit of reporting on public attitudes:

http://www.theatlant...rgy-Policy-4900

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#17 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

"Oh no, not another one..."

Posted Image

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

From the Atlantic link QT provides: In the wake of that long and difficult episode, many are greeting this most recent event with deep, almost macabre cynicism about our ability to learn from disaster.

I don't know how macabre is my cynicism about our ability to learn from disaster, but it runs pretty damned deep these days.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#19 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

When I first heard this, I was stunned. I mean so short of a time since the BP one, and now another...I find it hard to believe people are THAT stupid. Yes, I realize that human beings can so incredible amounts of stupidity, at times...But this goes beyond even THAT level of stupidity...I seriously doubt this was an accident. And if this wasn't...then the possibility that the BP one wasn't an accident either presents itself.

The only thing I can't figure out is what can be achieved by causing these disaster?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#20 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

Well, well...a company that actually reports something like this about itself...unlike BP that tried to duck and deny any reports of the size of their spill.

The Coast Guard said Mariner Energy reported the oil sheen. In a public statement, the company said an initial flyover did not show any oil.

If it's really a platform ..and it looked like it on the news reports tonight..

Platforms are vastly different from oil rigs like BP's Deepwater Horizon. They are usually brought in after wells are already drilled and sealed.

"A production platform is much more stable," said Andy Radford, an API expert on offshore oil drilling. "On a drilling rig, you're actually drilling the well. You're cutting. You're pumping mud down the hole. You have a lot more activity on a drilling rig."

In contrast, platforms are usually placed atop stable wells where the oil is flowing at a predictable pressure, he said. A majority of platforms in the Gulf do not require crews on board.

Thinking this was simply an accident....or that some safety precautions were not taken.  You would think people would be more cautious, careful in light of BP's spill but everyone thinks it can't happen to them...accidents, explosions, oil spills

But it can and does happen.  It's a kind of stupidity that pervades society about a lot of problems... 'It can happen to someone else but never to me' ... yea, right :rolleyes:

The press is more sensitive as well the public to this type of news story right now because of BP.  Before BP, this story would have not gotten this kind of notice. Before BP this would have just been a brief story that focused mostly on the rescue, with a side mention of the explosion.

Believe me, I've lived on the Gulf Coast most of my life and I remember many stories about explosions on offshore oil rigs and platforms that made the local news but not the national.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gulf Explosion, oil rig, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users