#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

Sounds serious.

http://www.msnbc.msn...ws-asia-pacific

Sparky? You OK?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hopefully, Sparky is okay.

Sending good thoughts her way and to all those affected.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

YIKES!  Sparky, please check in soon!
Posted Image

#4 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Holy smokes, that's a big one!?  Please check in Sparky.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#5 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,347 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

The quake was in Christchurch which is South Island, AFAIK Sparky is currently on North Island, but it would be nice to hear from her to verify that.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

^ Yep, didn't feel a thing here in Taranaki (lower North Island).

Thanks all for the concern though :hugs:

I'm glad there haven't been any major casualties (yet). Poor Christchurch :( {{{{{{{Christchurch kiwis}}}}}}}}

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Glad to see the Sparky is ok!!

#8 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

Yikes. I'm glad you're okay though. {{{Sparky}}}
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#9 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Thanks!

I only just connected the dots but now that I think about it, I did feel a small tremor last night. I thought the cat or dog had got in and was moving about by the foot of the bed, making it move. I couldn't figure out what it might be but it stopped after a while and I went back to sleep and forgot about it.

There's some really bad damage to the buildings in Christchurch, they have no power, lots of the walls have fallen out, cracks in the road...nightmare. Some of them said it felt like world war 2 from pylons blowing up from the power surges. It's got to be pretty cold down there too. Apparently they were due an earthquake of some sort because of the tectonic plates in that area.

Sparky

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

Glad to hear you're okay, Sparky! Yup-New Zealand's part of the Pacific Ring Of Fire. What's the word on tsunamis? And yeah-New Zealand is in late winter now-I assume spring starts down there September 22, when we begin fall in the northern hemisphere.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

They said on the news that tsunamis weren't a worry because the quake was inland and not under the ocean. But  pictures from Christchurch do show really bad damage: second floors no longer there, cracked roadways, bricks fallen everywhere. Glad you were out of harm's way though, Sparky.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#12 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Glad to hear that you are well. Sparky! :)
I've read that there were two people seriously injured. My best wishes to them and to the other New Zealanders.
Still, that seems a remarkably low (thankfully) casualty total for a 7.0 quake.
Pax,
Julianus

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Glad to hear you're OK Sparky.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

This site has LOADS of info:

The New Zealand Herald
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Glad you're okay, Sparky!    :hugs:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:37 AM

Thanks all :hugs:

I think the reason the death toll is low (I think a small plane may have crashed because of it?) is because it happened at 4:30 in the morning - most people were in bed, there were some seriously narrow escapes though.

I just sent a message to someone I know who lives there but I don't expect they'll be able to check in for a while. :(

The power, sewage, water problems are immense- and now they've got bad weather coming! At least the person they thought was looting was actually just getting their own stuff.

Sparky

#17 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

Update: Apparently the crash that killed 9 (including two children) was an unrelated incident in Fox Glacier. South Island's having a hard time atm.

They had aftershocks up to 5.4 on the richter scale! 10km underground. Also from the NZ herald:

Today's 7.1 magnitude quake west of Christchurch may have occurred on a "new" fault line.

Geologists have not yet been able to link it to a known fault; in the past few years, researchers have found that Canterbury is riddled with more earthquake-generating fault zones than previously thought - some as close as 20km to central Christchurch.

Canterbury University scientists have said there are about 100 fault lines and fault segments around the region, rather than the half-dozen active faults that were known about 20 years ago.

US and UN have offered aid but New Zealand declined as they can sort it out themselves. Still, good on US and the UN for the offers :cool:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 05 September 2010 - 12:50 AM.

#18 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,870 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

You don't fool me, Sparky. What are you *doing* down there?

#19 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,870 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

Apologies and correction:

What are you doing down there and how can I help?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Earthquake, New Zealand, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users