27 replies to this topic

#1 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:46 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=T1

I hope all Bay Area EIers and their friends and loved ones were not affected by this inferno. :(

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#2 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:04 AM

The news is not very clear yet on just how big an explosion we're talking about. Hopefully they'll get more details soon.

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

At Least One Dies in Fire After Blast in California

Chief Hayes-White said that officials looked into the possibility that the fire could have been ignited by a plane crash. But the Federal Aviation Administration had no confirmation that any plane was missing in the area. Instead, investigators thought a rupture in a high pressure gas line was more likely to have caused the explosion, she said.

Residents told The Bay Citizen that the utility company had recently investigated a gas leak in the area but did not take action. “They already knew about the leak and they didn’t do anything,” said Alex Monroy.
And I just heard on NPR that at least three have died.    :(  

Lil, everybody up there, I hope you're all okay.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

My thoughts are with those in the affected area...All EIer's in that area, please check in.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

Death toll is climbing.    :(
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

View PostHambil, on 10 September 2010 - 06:04 AM, said:

The news is not very clear yet on just how big an explosion we're talking about. Hopefully they'll get more details soon.

If you saw any of the views from the news helicopters, it was pretty damn big!

Cardie

#7 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

Not sure how close Lil is to this, but I won't rest easy until she speaks up.

#8 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

No Lil yet?  Come on Lil, we is worried!   :(

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

I was hoping she'd been heard from by now.   :(
Posted Image

#10 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

Well I only just found out about this (I've been too freakin' sick to even get on line) but apparently it's been contained.  Horrible thing.  :(  The footage is difficult to watch.
Posted Image

#11 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{Lil}}}}}}}}}}}

Hope you're feeling better.
Posted Image

#12 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Glad you're OK per the fire Lil but sorry you continue to feel so sick.

Cardie

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

I started on some newish fangled super course of antibiotics that only takes 5 days.  45 bucks for 6 pills.  9 bucks a pill.  Anyways, so far I don't feel any better.  God help me if I end up needing a hospital or something.
Posted Image

#14 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:52 AM

{{{{{{{{{Lil}}}}}}}}}} Get well soon Lil, glad you're not involved in the fire though.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#15 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:16 AM

Local Bay Area news info:

http://cbs5.com/loca....2.1905917.html

Dang, Skyline Blvd used to be one of my routes to get to work.  Sorry to hear this happen and that 4 people lost their lives from this.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#16 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Hey Lil, glad you're ok(ish) from the fire anyway.  Feel better soon.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#17 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 11 September 2010 - 01:16 AM, said:

Local Bay Area news info:

http://cbs5.com/loca....2.1905917.html
From the article:

Johns said the company had heard the reports that some residents smelled gas in the area before the blast.

"Right now, we haven't got confirmation about that, but we have records that we are going back right this minute to try to confirm what exactly those phone calls look like and when they occurred, and we will report back as soon as we know something," he said.

State Assemblyman Jerry Hill, who represents San Bruno, said he too heard reports from constituents who had alerted the utility of gas odors in the neighborhood before the disaster.

Residents "deserve to know if PG&E used the correct procedures in the days and weeks leading up to this disaster," he said.
Note the difference between utility "heard reports" and residents "alerted the utility."  Spin happens.    :angry:  

It's not the first time a deadly explosion on a PG&E gas line has devastated a Northern California neighborhood.

On Christmas Eve 2008 an explosion killed a 72-year-old man in the Sacramento suburb of Rancho Cordova, destroyed one home and seriously damaged others.

The National Transportation Safety Board's final report said PG&E used a wrong pipe to repair the gas line two years before the explosion. Rancho Cordova residents had reported of a gas smell in the area before the blast.

In response to the NTSB's findings, the company said it had taken "extraordinary measures" to ensure a blast like that would never happen again.

PG&E's Johnson maintained the San Bruno explosion was not connected to an underground fire in a PG&E electrical vault Friday morning at San Francisco's Montgomery and Sutter streets, the latest in a series of underground vault fires in San Francisco in recent years.
:unsure:

Edited by Nonny, 11 September 2010 - 09:22 AM.

Posted Image

#18 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

How horrible . . .

The manager training us is in from San Francisco and her brother's family lost their house in the blaze.  Fortunately, the were able to get out of their house to safety.  They had to escape out the back because the heat was too intense on the front side of the house, even so the heat alone was enough to singe their clothing and give them significant 2nd degree burns--and just the heat, the flames hadn't even reached them yet.

Also, the VP of our department used to own a house in that neighborhood, it has also been destroyed.

#19 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

:eek4:   Glad they got out.  Terrifying.
Posted Image

#20 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

Many safety concerns about how PG&E has handled gas line maintenance over the years, according to NYT: http://www.nytimes.c...od.html?_r=1

Cardie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Explosion in California, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users