• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

So my long awaited PS3 upgrade funding is finally happening and I will be ordering a new hard drive and a backup drive to upgrade my very cramped 40 Gig PS3.

And it is just in time! Next month SC Universe hits and I need space for a MMO on my drive and Fallout does not like to share, not to mention I have to save all my White Knight data for part 2! *sigh*

I am still not 100% locked on which drive I want to get. I will most likely save money on the back up drive since I only need to back up the 40 Gigs but I want no less then 500 Gigs on my PS3.

enTranced
Posted Image

#2 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

Just a quick update I was able to really add to the storage on my PS3 for not a whole lot of scratch. For under $150 bucks I am upgrading to a 650 Gig hard drive and a 80 Gig external backup drive to store my files as I install the new hard drive. I ordered everything from New Egg.

Another update when I start the process!

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 19 October 2010 - 03:41 PM.

Posted Image

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

My box of goodies arrived from New Egg yesterday so this weekend is the big hard drive switchout party!

Which is good since Fallout 3 and New Vegas will have to coexist on my PS3 for awhile since I failed to complete Fallout 3 before the new game showed up. *sigh*

enTranced
Posted Image

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

So a little hang up....

1) I have a 40 Gig PS3 and the drive is loaded to the wall.

2) I purchased a 80 Gig USB external hard drive to hold the information.

3) The PS3 will only see hard drives formatted in the FAT 32 system.

The problem?

Stupid Windows can't format a drive in FAT 32 bigger then 32 Gigs without partitions. This is crap, I want to do it all in one big backup using the internal backup utility in the pS3 OS.

And it looks like I might have found a free solution:

http://www.softpedia...wissKnife.shtml

Fingers Crossed!

enTranced
Posted Image

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

Success!

I was able to format the drive in FAT 32 and the PS3 had no problem finding the drive and backing up the drive. So tonight the actual drive swap is going to happen. :)

enTranced
Posted Image

#6 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

Victory!

I now have a PS3 with over 500 Gigs (it seems I lost some capacity with the PS3 using the FAT32 system for it's hard drive)!

Still it's well worth it, now I can check out Playstation Home, put all my music on my hard drive, make use of the photo program and use the PS3 as my home movie/picture machine.

This is going to be fun. :)

enTranced
Posted Image

#7 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Congrats! I'm glad you were able to pull it off. Lord knows if I tried that, I'd fry my PS3...not to mention myself.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#8 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

View PostThia The Muse, on 23 October 2010 - 02:19 PM, said:

Congrats! I'm glad you were able to pull it off. Lord knows if I tried that, I'd fry my PS3...not to mention myself.

It's actually not that hard. The PS3 drive bay is a thing of beuty. After you screw the new hard drive to the tray it will slide the drive right into the connection for you and then you screw the whole thing together. Sony made it VERY easy. After that it is just turning it on and following the prompts to very easy questions.

The only tricky thing is formatting the backup drive to FAT32. You need to go to a third party software package for the larger drives since Windows is pretty stupid and will want to force you to use a partition.

enTranced
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users