• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

msnbc has it on their front page...live feed of the miners in Chile being pulled up, one by one!!

two rescue workers went below first to help the men out.

Florencio Avalos was first out....i just watched them bring Mario Sepulveda up.

praying that all the men come up easily and safely!

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:39 PM

It's amazing and gratifying. For what they've been through, the first two miners looked great. Fingers crossed that all get to safety without incident.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:18 AM

miner number four was just pulled out!

i'm crossing my fingers that they can all be out by tomorrow...that would be so wonderful.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#4 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,347 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:43 AM

From BBC News

local time 0433:

Next up is 30-year-old Osman Araya, who acted as the messenger or "palomero" for Group 105 - one of the three teams the men were divided into in the mine. He will become the sixth man to be pulled to freedom.

It's going to be a long day.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#5 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

They said that it would take approx. 1 hour per miner so it will be a long process getting all of them out.  The first one took about 50 minutes, I believe.

Still a slow process...about 15-20 minutes to lower the capsule, then get them strapped in, oxygen mask on, about 20-25 minutes to pull them up...slowly as they still have to be careful.  There were new cracks in the mine being reported in the last several days before they began this stage of rescue operations.

They also said on the news that this whol process was practiced...even the helicopter ride to the hospital.

The foreman of the miners and the leader of them during this time will be the last to come up per his choice.

I have to admit that when I saw the first two come up, I started crying.  Nice to cry for happy, not sad, for a change. :D

BTW 7am CST said they were up to number 8, I think.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#6 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...e_mine_collapse

Corecting myself..it's not taking an hour per evidently

By late morning, 14 men had been pulled from the mine in roughly 11 hours, including the oldest and youngest among the trapped. The effort was methodical and free of any significant problems, and on track to finish before sunrise Thursday

snip

As it traveled down and up, down and up, the capsule was not rotating as much inside the 2,041-foot escape shaft as officials expected, allowing for faster trips, Health Minister Jaime Manalich said. The rescues came as quickly as 36 minutes apart.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#7 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

I am so happy for them and their families! :)
Posted Image

#8 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

They're all out, with no mishaps!  I've got one of the news specials on now - it's so nice to have an hour of really good news on tv!
Cats will never be extinct!

#9 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

^^^^

Exactly my feelings, Themis.

Nice to have good news for a change and to cry for happy news, not sad. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Mine in Chile, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users