• This topic is locked This topic is locked
286 replies to this topic

#21 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Aidan listened to Arannis as he introduced himself as the leader of the adventuring group that the Baron spoke of. Going out and taking out a rogue bear was definitely not going to be an easy task, but far better than some things he could think of. He nodded when Arannis mentioned they would be gone for several days and to prepare for that. "You're right, I will have no trouble preparing for several days out in the wild." He was well-versed in living off the land and probably wouldn't have to bring much in the way of food, just some water. He could live off the land for an almost indefinite amount of time as long as he had a way to hunt, gather and find water. "When will we be leaving?"

#22 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

"When will we be leaving?"

"Meet at the South Gate about an hour before dawn. We need to visit the widow's farm and hopefully there will still be some tracks fresh enough to follow. All being well we should be able to camp with in an hours walk of The Wilderness and enter two days from now." Arannis turned to Claudia, "I think it's time to visit Flit. Are you ready to see the outside world for the first time, again?"

Edited by Balthamos, 18 October 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#23 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Claudia nodded. "I'm ready." She stood up from the table and put the book Arannis had given her back on the shelf before rejoining him. She hoped that the healer they were going to see could help her restore her memories but she was feeling cautiously confident that she could learn to make a new life as she was. It was quite likely that she would have to. She had no idea yet why exactly she had lost her memories. If nothing else then maybe Flit could tell her what had caused it.

#24 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

"Meet at the South Gate about an hour before dawn. We need to visit the widow's farm and hopefully there will still be some tracks fresh enough to follow. All being well we should be able to camp with in an hours walk of The Wilderness and enter two days from now."

"All right." Aidan said to Arannis. He should have everything he needed to pack at the hut, so that wouldn't take long. "I can probably track the bear if there's signs of it around, I'm used to hunting/tracking since I've done it all my life." He was about to turn and walk away when Arannis turned to the woman he'd been talking to before, then paused when he heard Arannis ask if she was ready to see the world for the first time again. What did that mean? He shook his head a bit, pondering that as he left the university and headed back to his hut to begin preparations to leave.

#25 Balthamos

Balthamos

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

"I can probably track the bear if there's signs of it around, I'm used to hunting/tracking since I've done it all my life."

"That's excellent news since a few of my regulars aren't around at the moment." As Aidan turned to leave Arannis added "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"I'm ready."

Arannis lead Claudia out of the university and down the front steps, he stopped to examine them for traces of magic but found nothing out of the ordinary. The city streets were busier now the sun had risen, Arannis showed Claudia the way through the winding city streets to the temple of Sehanine on the outskirts. Arannis pulls open the wooden doors and takes a seat on a bench inside, when a priest enters from the room below Arannis asks him if Flit is available to see a patient.

Compared to the university the temple is a plain building, it's painted a deep blue with a white crescent moon on the door, the building is 2 stories high like those surrounding it and only stands out because of the colour. You could imagine that when the sun sets the temple is almost invisible unless you know it's there. The inside has a spiral staircase in the centre going both up and down. Around the edges of the room are benches, statues of the goddess and some texts.

#26 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

Claudia walked with Arannis as he guided her across the city to the temple of Sehanine. She studied her surroundings with a keen interest as she sought to adjust to the proximity of so many other individuals and the unfamiliarity of her environment. Nobod paid her much heed as she glanced around, quickly learning that the people of this city came in all shapes, sizes and colours, not just humans and pointy-ears although she couldn't put a name to any species other than human. At one point she stopped because she could see her reflection in a shop window. It hadn't ocurred to her until that moment that she didn't know what she looked like to others. She'd quickly carried on walking with Arannis after she'd seen her reflection. Claudia remained quiet as she sat down on one of the wooden benches next to Arannis and looked curiously around the temple.

#27 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

Aidan nodded when Arannis told him he would see him the next morning, then walked back out of the city to his hut just outside, tucked away just inside the forest that bordered the city on one side. He smiled when Vanimon greeted him and treated him to a pat on the nose, then spoke in Elven to the unicorn. "We're going on a bit of an adventure, friend. We're hunting a rogue bear, so I better get my things together, we'll be gone for several days." With that, he went inside and started packing what he felt he would need for several days in the wild while they hunted down the bear. He was still curious about the female though, why had Arannis asked if she wanted to see the world for the first time...again? One could not see something for the first time and then see it again for the first time unless.....maybe that was it....she forgot she saw it?

#28 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:52 AM

Freya was sitting on the grass outside the temple, staring at the large building that gave her the shivers. She was glad that adventuring meant she would be spending a lot of time outside. They were bound to be camping out a lot so it would be just the sort of thing she was used to. She wanted to go inside the temple to find someone to talk to about the adventuring group but wasn't comfortable just walking in so she decided to simply sit outside and wait for someone to pass by.

#29 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

"Yes brother Tomas, what can I do for you?" Flit says to the young priest at her door. "Arannis needs you to look at a patient... are you able to do this?" he asks tentatively."Of course" Flit grabs her medical pouch and follows Tomas down the stair case to where Arannis is waiting with a young lady.  
  "Arannis, what can I do for you today?  Is this young lady the patient or have you taken ill my friend."  Flit will look over the girl that Arannis is with and almost instantly notice the residual magic energy around her head.  "Well that's odd.  Do you know that you have a magic ring around your head...I'm sorry what is your name?" Flit asks the lady.  
  She turns to Arannis. "Perhaps we should go upstairs to one of "my" studies so we can discuss what's going on?" Flit leads the way back up to an adjacent room to her own private chambers, wondering what in the name of the gods was this poor lady doing with such strong magic around her head!

"Alright, tell me what is going on Arannis and I will see if I can be of any use to you."

Edited by obisidianstorm13, 19 October 2010 - 11:01 AM.

#30 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

Aidan finished packing the pack he was going to take with him, then went back outside to Vanimon, who was waiting for him. He gave him an apple, then got a brush out and started brushing the unicorn down. "Yes, we're going on another adventure." He said as he brushed, speaking in Elven. "Not like the last time, the bear could be dangerous if it's attacking people."

Vanimon listened as Aidan brushed him, twitching his ears back every so often. He could understand most of what the elf was talking about-he was going on an adventure, he was going to be away for several days, which meant he would probably be taking Vanimon with him, or Vanimon would follow discreetly, one or the other. He didn't like Aidan leaving him, nor did he like staying alone, so unless he was explicitly ordered not to, he was going. It didn't bother him that they were going after a bear, he knew Aidan would be able to take care of himself, or Vanimon would protect him as he'd been protected from the wolves, one or the other.

"And of course you're going." Aidan continued. "You'd only follow anyway, so you might as well make yourself useful." He laughed at Vanimon's half-offended snort, knowing he agreed with him. "Don't try that with me, you know I'm right." He said as he moved around to brush the other side. He didn't know what the others would think of his owning a unicorn, not that he considered himself Vanimon's owner, their relationship could be more classified as friends since he'd never actually caught the unicorn, nor had he ever penned him up, the unicorn chose to stay with him and if he ever chose to leave Aidan would not try to stop him.

#31 Balthamos

Balthamos

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:17 PM

"Alright, tell me what is going on Arannis and I will see if I can be of any use to you."

Arannis took a seat in the chamber and motioned for Claudia to do the same. "Claudia, this is Flit." He turns back to Flit, "I know about the magical ring but I couldn't learn anything from it and neither could the healer in the temple in the university. Claudia has lost her memories and I'm trying to find out if it's physical damage or if this,", Arannis indicates the ring of magic around Claudia's head, "is something to do with it. I haven't encountered anything like this before, she doesn't remember anything except for waking up this morning but when we introduce her to new things she... understands them even if she can't tell you what they are."

#32 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Claudia opened her mouth to answer the questions Flit had asked but she'd already turned to Arannis and suggested they go upstairs. As she quietly followed them she thought about what she'd been told. A magic ring? As heard the words she gained a vague understanding on what it might mean. Magic had been used on her recently in the vicinity of her head. She wondered if it was an active spell or residual effects of it. It seemed logical to her that the magic had caused her memory loss but she couldn't be certain yet. By the time she had reached those conclusions they'd reached the chamber and she obeyed Arannis' instruction to take a seat. Claudia let Arannis explain her situation and continued to think. After he finished explaining she voiced the new questions that had ocurred to her. "Magic you said? Does that mean that magic caused my memory loss? Does that also mean that it was done deliberately?" Why, she couldn't imagine. But she had to know.

#33 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:50 AM

"Claudia I'm going to give a quick medical examination and then I will answer you." Flit checks over Claudia briefly but thoroughly.  Flit looks at Claudia and says "I'm going to magically scan you now to see if there are any internal injuries, it's a divine gift from the goddess; it will not hurt."  Flit prays and casts her spell which reveals no internal damage to be seen.

"As a I thought, there is no signs of any physical damage that would cause the memory loss.  Amnesia is usually caused by severe blows to the head; you have no indications of such a blow; no bumps or swelling around the head. That magical ring around your head though is a residual protection ward. I'm going to take a closer look at this ring now."  Flit carefully studies the magic ring around Claudia's head.

"Arannis, is it fading around the edges?"  Flit points to where it's seemingly faded.  

"Claudia to answer your questions, it does seem that this magic has caused your memory loss which also means that it was done deliberately. The magic circle around your head is not active but seemingly a residual effect of the protection ward that was used.  It also seems to be fading.  Your memory may come back over time or it could be permanent.  We won't know for some time I fear.  I encourage you to come to Arannis or myself when and if you start to remember things.  The question that remains is why?  Was it done because you knew too much information and needed to be silenced or was it done because you were becoming something dangerous; hence the protection ward.  Did you stumble onto something you were not meant to know or was something using you as a vessel and you needed to be stopped?  This is why when and if you remember you must tell someone; there maybe danger ahead."

#34 Balthamos

Balthamos

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:39 AM

Arannis nodded to Flit, "Yes, it's definitely fading, in fact it's faded a little since this morning. If your memories come back when it's gone then that's good news but I think we'd be wrong to put our money on it if there's no active parts to the magic around you.", Arannis paused to think, "We'll need to talk to a psion to find out if your memories are still inside your head so I think we'll do that next, one advantage of being the headmaster of the university is you get to know an awful lot of useful and clever people,", he smiled, "I don't think you have to worry too much about immediate danger Claudia, whoever took your memories has had plenty of chance to harm you, it's likely you were subdued or restrained while they performed this ritual on you. They also didn't leave you for dead, they brought you to somewhere you would be found and cared for." Arannis paused again and smiled, "It also seems they have a sense of humour, leaving an amnesiac to a temple of knowledge would almost be funny if it wasn't such a horrid thing to do to someone. Do you have any more questions for Flit before we leave?".

Edited by Mikoto, 20 October 2010 - 08:51 AM.
Sig patrol

#35 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

Claudia was silent for a few minutes, a range of expressions crossing her face from dismay to anger as she struggled to absorb and accept what she had been told. Any vague hope of recovery had been swept away and worse, it had been done deliberately and likely against her will. "I doubt it was done for my benefit." She remarked. "No money, no weapons, no retraining, nothing. Just left at a temple of knowledge as a joke, completely dependant on the generosity of others." She sighed. "And finding whoever did it is probably virtually impossible. They got what they wanted." Claudia took a deep breath, having difficulty thinking clearly when she was angry enough to want to lash out at someone or something. "No, I have no more questions." She glanced at them both. "Thank you." She thanked them as she was grateful for what they were doing for her.

#36 Balthamos

Balthamos

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

As Arannis lead Claudia out of the door he turns back to Flit and says, "The Baron has asked our little adventuring group to hunt down a rogue bear, we're meeting at the south gate an hour before dawn tomorrow morning. See you there if you're coming along." He leads Claudia out of the temple and through the streets, stopping at the market to pick up something to eat he hands half a pie to Claudia, and they sit down outside the pie sellers shop. "You look worried, and I don't blame you," Arannis says, "but don't worry, we're not completely without hope. We're going to see Vance next, he's a telepath which means he can get inside your head. It can be quite disconcerting but he won't look unless you give him permission. He should be able to tell us if your memories are still in there or if they're locked somewhere else."

#37 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

Claudia nodded her agreement to go see Vance about figuring out if her memories were still inside her head or locked away elsewhere. The idea seemed strange to her-that memories could be anywhere but inside someone's head but that's what magic seemed to be able to do. "All right." She spoke her agreement out loud. "It'll finish enlightening me about my situation at least." Then she turned her attention to the half of a pie that Arannis had given her. She studied it for a moment but no name came to her. Nevertheless she seemed to know that it was edible.

Curiously she sniffed at it and decided she liked the smell. She took a bite, and taste confirmed what her sense of smell told her. Claudia continued to think as she ate. Learning that her memories had been stolen by force had unsettled her. Though it was unlikely anyone else would do it, nevertheless she was uneasy and had been reminded about criminals. She remembered seeing people walking about the streets, some armed with different weapons. And thus, although her next question seemed to come out of the blue it was a result of her line of thought. "Is it possible I could have a weapon? Like that?" She asked pointing to a passerby armed with a sword, then she finished off her last bite of pie.

Edited by Mikoto, 20 October 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#38 Balthamos

Balthamos

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Arannis ate his pie and watched people. He noticed Claudia who was also watching people when she pointed to a passer by carrying a short sword.

"Is it possible I could have a weapon? Like that?"

Arannis raises his eyebrows, "It's certainly possible, they don't cost much in the grand scheme of things, I'd insist you learn how to use it. I can easily arrange that though. Let's go and see Vance then we can get back to the University". Arannis moved towards a row of houses near to the pie seller and knocks on the door before entering. "Good morning Vance."

#39 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

Claudia followed Arannis to Vance's house and followed them inside when Vance answered and lead them inside. His house was interesting as it was covered in a range of bladed weapons that she had no name for. Before they could say anything else Vance looked at Arannis for a few seconds, then nodded. "Yes. I will go with you tomorrow." He said simply without being asked. Claudia noted that Arannis seemed annoyed about something. Finally Vance got around to asking what they wanted so Claudia told him what the problem was and what had happened. She requested that he search her mind to find out if her memories were still present.

After recovering from the surprise Vance agreed and told her to sit down. So Claudia sat and shifted uncomfortably as Vance searched her mind. It was not a pleasant sensation and if she knew what spiders were or what they felt like, she might have described it like having spiders crawling around in her mind. Finally it was over and Vance shook his head. "I'm sorry." He apologized. "The memories aren't present at all inside your mind. They're gone." She blinked several times, then sighed. "Thanks. At least I know now." She turned to Arannis. "Okay, let's go back to the university. I have.... a lot of adjusting to do."

Claudia was mostly silent as they went back to the university as she worked through the mixture of emotions inside her. Her options had been narrowed now that she knew there were no memories to remember. She would have to make a new life for herself since any chance of finding whoever stole her memories seemed impossible. That meant securing a job, a place to sleep and learning how to defend herself. By the time they were approaching the university she was ready to start focusing. "You said... you could arrange for training to use a weapon?" Claudia asked as they approached the steps where she had initially been found.

#40 Balthamos

Balthamos

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

Arannis found he wasn't surprised when Vance told them Claudia's memories weren't in her head. He kept the thought that because she couldn't regain her memories was probably part of the reason she was still alive to himself, he wasn't even sure if you could say she was alive, the person who was Claudia before probably wasn't in there entirely but it was a debate for great philosophers and what did he know at only 400 years old. He nodded to Claudia when she asked about weapons training again. "That wont be too hard to arrange, there's a class this afternoon actually, not one I teach because I usually hurt myself when I pick up a sword." As they mounted the steps to the university/temple he noticed a young looking fey elf looking slightly lost sitting in the grass and staring towards the building. "Can I help you", Arannis asks, "Are you looking for something, or someone?".

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users