• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Diogenes

Diogenes

Diogenes

• Islander
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

Last night I first heard about the outbreak. 150 have already died. Remember the extensive coverage of the earthquake? The sense that Haiti had been ignored largely in its troubles before despite its proximity? And maybe that it would be ignored no longer, at least not until Haiti was back to some level of stability? Were you acccepting of that? 150 people didn't die yesterday or the day before nor get sick. The worry over cholera began with the earthquake. Wikipedia states the last cases of it in the Western Hemisphere were in Sep. 1994, so this doesn't happen everyday. Incidentally, over a billion was donated for Haiti; treatments exist for cholera. Why are people dying en masse, regardless of coverage? The media cares only for the spectacle and where it has stationed its resources. You don't wait days for sensational "scandals". I refer you to Don Henley's coup, "Dirty Laundry".

Edited by Diogenes, 22 October 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

Given the level of poverty and ignorance in Haiti, I'm not surprised that something that could be prevented by boiling water is killing people.

It's endemic to the southern regions of Africa for the same reason. No education, no boiling of drinking water - unless someone actually comes in and teaches them what to do.

(And digging wells that avoid incursion of sewage in ground water is probably impossible for any of these people, given the kind of testing it takes to do so.)

I should have added vegetables fertilized with human excrement, but I doubt that's the trigger in these cases.

Diogenes, it's certainly been all over the media here.

Link

US AID will provide supplies needed to set up treatment centers. The group has already prepositioned 300,000 oral re-hydration kits and are distributing water purification kits in affected areas.

Hopefully they'll be able to eliminate the problem, since it's confined to a very specific area north of the capital.

Edited by Rhea, 23 October 2010 - 07:53 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

Here's a link to one report.

By early Saturday, nearly 200 dead were confirmed dead in the poor Caribbean nation's worst health crisis since the Jan. 12 quake, and authorities said more than 2,000 people were sick.

The first two cholera cases outside the central Artibonite region were confirmed Friday in Arcahaie, a town closer to the quake-devastated capital, Port-au-Prince. Experts also were investigating possible cases in Croix-des-Bouquet, a suburb of the capital, and radio reports said there were two dozen cases of diarrhea on Gonave island.

Health officials are fearful about the outbreak spreading into the capital, where thousands and thousands of people are living in unsanitary conditions in refugee camps.

“It will be very, very dangerous,” said Claude Surena, president of the Haitian Medical Association. “Port-au-Prince already has more than 2.4-million people, and the way they are living is dangerous enough already. Clearly a lot more needs to be done.”

Aid groups and the government were rushing in medical and relief supplies, including 10,000 boxes of water purification, according to the World Health Organization.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

I know that I have heard reports on it but it is not the lead or main story now, kind of a side story or a brief report.

It's just a fact of life that when the tragedy happens...the earthquake, floods etc happen they are all you hear about but after a while, not so much. and I hate to say it but ofen it is a matter of 'out of sight, out of mind' for most of the world

Even the people who live there and take extra precautions shortly after the disaster seem to slide back into the old ways themselves.  Stop boiling the water etc.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Diogenes

Diogenes

Diogenes

• Islander
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

Rhea, you missed the point. The delay until Oct. 22. I posted this in GMD since the topic is media, and it's in OT without any notice. Please move it back. The outbreak relates to conditions caused by the earthquake, not the poverty in Haiti specifically.

#6 Diogenes

Diogenes

Diogenes

• Islander
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

I reheard the CBS report on the outbreak, and my proof might be faulty. CBS called the outbreak sudden and said one can die in a day. Before starting, I checked the authoritative webmd.com, which didn't note cholera as anything unless you travel, and Wikipedia, which did not include a course of progress in its article. I was wary of how quick folks could die, but I took into account the location was a small area and one likely to have relief personnel. Nevertheless, I still believe the media cares for spectacles largely; I just can't prove it for now.

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

View PostDiogenes, on 23 October 2010 - 04:13 PM, said:

Rhea, you missed the point. The delay until Oct. 22. I posted this in GMD since the topic is media, and it's in OT without any notice. Please move it back. The outbreak relates to conditions caused by the earthquake, not the poverty in Haiti specifically.

I didn't move it, and I should leave it to the mod who did. I'm neither OT nor GMD.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Diogenes

Diogenes

Diogenes

• Islander
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

Rhea, sorry, I should have separated those thoughts. I didn't think you moved it. But someone also moved a chess thread from AQG to The Beach, which certainly makes no sense.

#9 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:41 AM

^No worries.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Haiti, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users