• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

http://www.ctv.ca/CT...n-Study-011110/

Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and the physical harm it causes users, but also considered environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison.

Edited by michael elizabeth, 01 November 2010 - 04:15 PM.

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

This study is, IMO, misleading though. If you have a couple drinks socially once in a while and wait until it's safe to drive, nothing much is going to happen from drinking the alcohol. However, if you shoot yourself up just once with cocaine you're risking addiction and potential fatal overdose.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

ME...

that link just takes me to hte start new topic page so not sure what happened there.

And Palisade...if folks would just be sensible enough to drink once and a while and not try to drive...then no one gets hurt.

Unfortunately I live in an area where no one seems to have that kind of sense.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

^ Here's one link: http://news.yahoo.co...ngerous_alcohol
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#5 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,210 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

So sorry, I am still new at topic posting. :blush:

http://www.ctv.ca/CT...n-Study-011110/

#6 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

I think the reason alcohol finishes first in "social consequences" is, it's the only thing you can use-- even to excess-- without any particular social stigma.  (Sure, it's not great to be known as a drunk, but to this day a lot of people don't think of that as a 'problem' the same way they do other drug abuse.)  Being so much more legitimate in our society gives it a leg up on the other substances, so to speak.

Personally, I don't drink.  This is an individual choice stemming from the facts that a) I don't like to be around people who drink a lot, and b) I kind of suspect that I wouldn't handle it well if I did drink, and might even be prone to addiction.  Not saying I haven't been tempted, but I think it's best if I never start.  So they can bring back Prohibition for all I care.

But of course they're not going to do that, or anything even remotely in the vicinity of it, because as noted, the legal aspects of this stuff are much more about perception than reality.

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,157 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

View PostJohn Burke, on 01 November 2010 - 04:17 PM, said:

I think the reason alcohol finishes first in "social consequences" is, it's the only thing you can use-- even to excess-- without any particular social stigma.  (Sure, it's not great to be known as a drunk, but to this day a lot of people don't think of that as a 'problem' the same way they do other drug abuse.)  Being so much more legitimate in our society gives it a leg up on the other substances, so to speak.

That's true.  It's bizarre to me that our cultural approach to this potent drug treats intoxication -- essentially an overdose -- as a normal and expected part of the experience of using it.  Maybe if it were called overdosing instead of "getting drunk," it wouldn't be so accepted -- although on the other hand, the word "intoxication" is well-known and it's not hard to tell that it contains the word "toxic," but that doesn't seem to have helped much.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#8 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

seen pieces like that, and studies, for years; those R not really helpful news;

drinks are easy to get, and cost less; it's a significant cost of course for alcoholics, but still overall less of a cost problem; so it's a big Duh, and the overall harmful effect:
led by the statistics of much bigger numbers, and damage, of drink driving over druggy driving.
And there may be numbers showing more drink-damaged families, broken homes, than with white stuff.

Is there anything really new in the new studies?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

Here's a thread with my thoughts on the matter.

There's no point in my repeating them. I've done it too many times already on this board.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#10 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

View PostJohn Burke, on 01 November 2010 - 04:17 PM, said:

Personally, I don't drink.  This is an individual choice stemming from the facts that a) I don't like to be around people who drink a lot, and b) I kind of suspect that I wouldn't handle it well if I did drink, and might even be prone to addiction.  Not saying I haven't been tempted, but I think it's best if I never start.  So they can bring back Prohibition for all I care.

Same here

Alcoholism runs in my father's family going back several generations at least.  And those who do not drink seem to get into drugs or one of the other related things  (workaholics, gamblers etc).  If that were not enough to keep me from boozing it up, my siblings seem to have inherited something on my mother's side.

When I was about 19, I rebelled and started drinking heavily.  Not only did finding myself in dangerous situations scare me off it but I would feel like crap warmed over for days after.  Bad pain in my abdomen for a min.of 3 days after and felt like my muscles were locked up in my shoulders.  Found out all my siblings went throught the same thing and that was what stopped their drinking.

Still to this day wonder what anyone gets out of alcohol because of that pain.

And I can not stand to be around a drunk.  Let's just put it this way...I was around more than one over the years and the emotional pain/damage was more than I could handle and I refuse to deal with it anymore.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,225 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

I don't disagree alcohol is damaging (I have an alcoholic for a step-father), but I wonder if the statistics are skewed here by how many people do alcohol. One can say it is fair to assess the impact alcohol use has on society based on how many people use it, and it is, in a sense. But that doesn't tell you how the societal impact is, per user, which is important too I imagine. Of course, even that would be affected by the fact it is legal and easy to access, and the more open cultural acceptance of it compared to other drugs.

Edited by sierraleone, 01 November 2010 - 06:43 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

The study is right.
Posted Image

#13 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

Okay..finally read the whole article and yes, it is right.
From the linked article above--

When drunk in excess, alcohol damages nearly all organ systems. It is also connected to higher death rates and is involved in a greater percentage of crime than most other drugs, including heroin.

Another reason why alcohol is dangerous--

http://www.bcm.edu/n....cfm?newsID=558

The equivalent of two or more alcoholic beverages daily, coupled with poor eating habits that reduce nutrition, greatly increases the risk of liver failure when the common pain reliever acetaminophin is used, according to Baylor Liver Health Director, Dr. John Vierling.

These people may have lesser ability to detoxify acetaminophin and a greater likelihood of producing toxic byproducts even if they take acetaminophin for the right indications and do not exceed the maximum recommended doses," said Vierling, also professor of medicine and surgery at BCM.

Not to mention the effects of other medications, both OTC and prescription since when asked about their drinking habits by their doctor, most lie about their level of alcohol consumption. A lot of meds do not mix with booze at all.  

I do know some heart medications recommend NO alcohol consumption at all.

And as I said above from my own personal knowledge of alcoholism running through several generations of a family, it does great emotional damage to the family.

#14 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

I think two quotes from the article say it all:

The study found that heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine were the most harmful drugs to individuals, while alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the most harmful to others.

Experts said alcohol scored so high because it is so widely used and has devastating consequences not only for drinkers but for those around them.

Which basically falls in line with most of the opinions expressed here:  Alcohol may not be the absolute worst for the individual, but the aggregate social harm is simply massive because it is both legal, and widely used.

I'm mostly pleasantly surprised by the reasonable conclusions drawn by the study regarding future alcohol control:

King said countries should target problem drinkers, not the vast majority of people who indulge in a drink or two. He said governments should consider more education programs and raising the price of alcohol so it isn't as widely available.

cervisiam tene rem specta

#15 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:12 AM

Mark: The study is mostly correct, but I do think they made an error in suggesting more educational programs warning people of the dangers of alcohol would have any impact. They've done those scare campaigns before with other drugs, and they never really worked. Because of the widespread acceptance in our society, and especially in our government (because most of them are heavy drinkers), alcohol gets promoted above all other mind-altering substances. Why should one drug be allowed to be widely distributed, commercialized, and sensationalized in our media, when all the other mind-altering drugs cannot? Just because prohibition did not work, doesn't mean we should promote the use of alcohol by allowing it to be commercialized on TV.

In reality, prohibition didn't work...and the outlawing of all other mind-altering drugs hasn't worked either. Look at the number of people in our overcrowded prison system today that are there for growing, distributing, or using the other drugs besides alcohol!

Telling society that it cannot do something because it's too dangerous for them, will never work. Instead, it's up to each individual to choose what they use. It must also be decided by the individual when to stop using or abusing a drug...otherwise they'll never recover. It's great for people to be told they must go to a treatment facility when they've gone beyond society's norms because they may learn something that will help choose NOT to do the drug/s. However, no amount of treatment will force a person to choose something they really don't wish to do. Until they decide for themselves, treatment NEVER works. When they do decide they want to stop using, I believe they can do it on their own a majority of the time...although sometimes people don't know how to cope without their drug of choice, and then it's up to them to ask for help.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#16 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

I LOVE beer and cider. I HATE being drunk.

I also think alcohol is getting MORE of a stigma around it than in the past. My grandparents were talking about how they drove drunk all the time as teens and twenty-somethings, and that even after accidents cops didn't really care, or anyone else.
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#17 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

Mark is right in that educating people about something that is bad for them like alcohol does not really do much good.  Remember "Just Say No"?  

Unfortunately the effects of drug and alcohol abuse are something that one has to personally experience whether it is their own use or someone close to them.  That decision to use or not to use it a personal choice.  All the 'it's bad for you'speeches in the world won't do any good if someone is determined to try it 'just once' :rolleyes:

And raising the price of alcohol likely will not do any good....they tried that with cigarettes and it hasn't done much good.  People just put back some food item and buy the cigarettes anyway.  I've seen it happen

Edited by Tricia, 02 November 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#18 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

I'm extremely biased when it comes to alcohol and alcoholics...I have very very little patience with either.

But, since Orph wants to liven up discussions on the Isle....

Does calling for the death penalty for anyone drinking a beer get me a warning? See, if I get a questionable warning, then I can really raise hell in AQG. And Orph's wish will have been granted.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#19 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

Seriously??!!!

LOL

{{{{{{{LotS}}}}}}

-----------

I have little to no patience with drunks or people who imbide to the point of stupidity.  I have even less patience with those drunk fools I know and avoid, who think that being drunk means they can say whatever mean and hateful and dreadfully inappropriate things they want to and then claim not to remember their drunk ramblings.

Example--the drunk I mentioned in Saul's thread...the last time I was around him was at a BBQ and he told the most offensive racist sexual joke possible in front of not only children but it was a mixer of all neighbors including African Americans.  He was lucky that nobody kicked his butt and that was just the mamas in the group.  Of course, he didn't remember it :rolleyes:.

#20 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 02 November 2010 - 12:41 PM, said:

I'm extremely biased when it comes to alcohol and alcoholics...I have very very little patience with either.

But, since Orph wants to liven up discussions on the Isle....

Does calling for the death penalty for anyone drinking a beer get me a warning? See, if I get a questionable warning, then I can really raise hell in AQG. And Orph's wish will have been granted.

D: But that would include me! Remind me to never have a beer around you, LotS! ;D
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Addiction, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users