Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Indonesian Volcano Wreaking Havoc

Disasters Volcano Indonesia 2010

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

I've been following this volcano for the last week or so on the news, and the eruptions are continuous and getting worse. As of this writing-122 dead.

link

MOUNT MERAPI, Indonesia – Searing gas avalanched down an Indonesian volcano with a thunderous roar, torching houses and trees and incinerating villagers as they fled Mount Merapi's worst eruption in a century. Scores of bodies found Friday raised the death toll to 122.

The injured with clothes, blankets and even mattresses fused to their skin by the 1,400 degree Fahrenheit (750 degree Celsius) heat — were carried away on stretchers following the first big explosion just before midnight.

All Friday, Merapi shot towering plumes of ash that dusted the windshields of cars 300 miles (480 kilometers) away. Bursts of hot clouds occasionally interrupted aid efforts, with rescuers screaming "Watch out! Hot cloud!"

The intensifying eruptions have baffled scientists who have monitored the mountain for years and left them uncertain what to expect. Dozens of explosions that followed Merapi's initial blast Oct. 26 had been predicted to ease pressure behind a magma dome.

The danger zone where residents have been ordered to flee has now been expanded to 12 miles (20 kilometers) from the crater.

None of this sounds good at all. :( I've wondered about another explosion of the type that happened with Krakatoa in 1883. The noise created by the explosion of that island was said to be the loudest noise ever heard on the Earth. :fear:

Edited by Analog Kid, 05 November 2010 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

Always something going on with the planet.

Doesn't sound like a good situation at all and I guess all the research and studying in the world of a volcano does no good as it's gonna do whatever it's gonna do regardless of the research.  

Mother Nature---doesn't like to be fooled with and likes to surprise us all now and then and do the unexpected.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Volcano, Indonesia, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users