OT Member Projects Ani 2010

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

If you could have changed one aspect of your education, what would it be?
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

View PostRhea, on 14 November 2010 - 09:09 AM, said:

If you could have changed one aspect of your education, what would it be?

That things wouldn't have come so easy to me in the school system I attended K-12. In many cases I don't think they knew what to do with me. For instance, when I was in 4th grade they used those programed math books where you gave your answer and then slid something down to see if you had the right one. Well at least the first three were. The next two books were just textbooks that they kind of just handed to me and basically said. "teach yourself"
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

I know what you mean. The public school system seems least able to deal with the brightest students.

I was stunned when I got to college and actually had to study. :p

Edited by Rhea, 17 November 2010 - 12:39 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

I would have added some financial planning and investment courses. Now I'm learning about stocks and investing from my dad, but sitting around the dinner table chatting about it doesn't beat having someone standing at the front of a classroom, talking about a chart for an hour. And I really don't know much about financial planning; I think the only reason why I've managed to avoid getting into debt is because my parents have helped me out and I live relatively cheaply anyways. But if I had had to pay for all of my university myself, I would have been at a loss as to how to budget.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#5 TomFoolery

TomFoolery
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

I would get my degree come hell or highwater.  I dropped out 15 years ago, and now I'm regretting it.

Edited by TomFoolery, 06 December 2010 - 12:04 AM.

If common sense were common, everyone would have it....

#6 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:53 AM

I would change K-12, as well.
I would have asked that they actually teach me. Instead they taught me the same as they taught every kid and that simply wasn't enough, nor useful, for me. In language skills, I was better than my classmates, I could read and write in kindergarten. I should have been encouraged to go on beyond the grade I was in. If they had, I could have been taking college level courses in Junior High.
In math, I was better than average in the early years, they should have pushed me there, as well. Instead of teaching me basic math over and over, they should have started teaching me algebra at an earlier age. If they had, algebra would have come easier, instead I struggled. Still do, and I have two algebra classes to go for my degree. ~ugh~ Not so sure I will accomplish the feat.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#7 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:09 AM

View PostElara, on 06 December 2010 - 02:53 AM, said:

I would change K-12, as well.
I would have asked that they actually teach me. Instead they taught me the same as they taught every kid and that simply wasn't enough, nor useful, for me. In language skills, I was better than my classmates, I could read and write in kindergarten. I should have been encouraged to go on beyond the grade I was in. If they had, I could have been taking college level courses in Junior High.
In math, I was better than average in the early years, they should have pushed me there, as well. Instead of teaching me basic math over and over, they should have started teaching me algebra at an earlier age. If they had, algebra would have come easier, instead I struggled. Still do, and I have two algebra classes to go for my degree. ~ugh~ Not so sure I will accomplish the feat.
I feel the same way. All through elementary and highschool, I felt like I was being held up in math. I managed to get good grades, even if I was just half-paying attention in class and not studying that hard (with the exception of Grades 11-12). Then I got to university and struggled with advanced statistics and only passed calculus by virtue of the bellcurve. If they had let me advance based on my math ability rather than my age, then I could have at least been introduced to calculus and taken some more advanced statistics in highschool, and I wouldn't have struggled so much with it in university.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Member Projects, Ani, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users