Disasters 2010 New Zealand Coal Mine Explosion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

Unknown at this time if the trapped 29 miners from New Zealand, Australia and Great Britain are alive or not.  At this time, only two survived (one being pulled out by the other).  This blast was at NZ's largest coal mine deposit.  Also, to anyone's knowledge, there were no abnormal concerns before the explosion happened.

http://finance.yahoo...100918.html?x=0
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#2 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:25 AM

A second blast has happened.  Now it is feared that after such a dramatic explosion, all the miners who were trapped, are now feared dead and the rescue mission has changed into a recovery one.  Hazardous gases have continued to prevent rescue workers to enter the mine after the first explosion.

link
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#3 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

So sad...  I wonder why this event hasn't gotten much play in the media.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

How tragic. :( :cry:

Here's a link from the New Zealand Herald, with pictures of the 29 lost miners. :humble:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Terrible news. My condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

Batrochides

#6 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

I've heard some about it but I think that North Korea as well as other news has just pushed it to the side. Not as much airtime.

What with all the mine accidents in recent months and years, might be time to rethink mining regulations.  I know it is generally different in each country but still...something has to change and whatever regulations there are need to be enforced more.

Edited by Tricia, 25 November 2010 - 06:15 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#7 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

I think I heard about it daily on NBC evening news.  Sad outcome.  Mining has never exactly been a safe occupation but there have been too many problems of late.
Cats will never be extinct!

#8 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Yeah - it's all over the news here - NZ's South Island hasn't had much luck recently! :(

The thing which struck me though was the supportiveness of that community in the West Coast region - it seems that all the familes of the miners had people bringing them dinners so they didn't have to worry about that while they were waiting for news of their loved ones. It's quite a close knit community really.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

View PostThemis, on 25 November 2010 - 10:46 PM, said:

Mining has never exactly been a safe occupation but there have been too many problems of late.

I don't know about those mining companies in other countries but I do know that often here in the US after an accident it comes out that safety regulations were not being followed and/or (usually both though) there were many safety violations by the company in the past. A dangerous mindset that often costs lives.

No doubt it is the same everywhere though mining is dangerous anyway...safety violations and shortcuts don't help matters.

It's always great to see people pull together as a community and help each other in times of loss and trouble.

Edited by Tricia, 26 November 2010 - 09:55 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, 2010, New Zealand, Coal Mine Explosion

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users