• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

So Josh, what's the most important political issue you think to your, a)town/country state, b)your country, and c) the world?

Everyone else is welcome to answer of course. It'll be interesting to hear where people's priorities are.

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

Alright... This isn't really my forte so bear with me.

In Seattle, we have several issues that confront us but I think transportation comes up again and again, in several different forms. There's the 520 bridge, which has been in desperate need of replacement for decades now. Basically, the next big earthquake could make it collapse. There's the Alaskan Way Viaduct (which goes along the downtown waterfront), which also needs to replacement for a similar reason. And in general, our traffic is among the worst in the nation. Too many people, not enough roads. And bad drivers. The city is almost completely shut down right now because we had five inches of snow yesterday and no one can drive in it.

For each issue, there's some obnoxious political issue derailing it. For the bridge, it looks like it'll get replaced but the new one will be the exact same size (um, yay?) and will have a toll. No one is especially happy about this. The Viaduct will get replaced with an expensive underground tunnel (without any of the downtown exits that make the current one so useful) which has people pretty much up in arms. Safety isn't guaranteed (what's to stop the seawall from collapsing and killing everyone in there during the next big one?) and while it's being constructed, all of the current traffic will be forced to clog up the side streets. Good times.

As for the country, the economy is the issue that is haunting everyone I know, including myself. I keep hearing that it's getting better but I see little proof of that. I'm still eating top ramen, my friends are broke and I'm worried my family won't be able to make rent this month. It's safe to say I won't be lining up for Black Friday any time soon.

And the world? Well, there's always global warming (whether you believe in the concept or not), the economy, peak oil and of course, Sarah Palin.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:14 AM

Extending this question to Kevin Street. Thanks for answering Josh :)

#4 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:49 AM

If you don't mind, I'm gonna think about this one and come back tomorrow to answer it. Kind of late right now for deep thought. :trance:
Per aspera ad astra

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Member Projects, Josh, Kevin Street, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users