• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

I love music.  I grew up listening to music from people like Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Michael Cooney, Gordon Bok, Doc Watson, Sandy Denny, and many others.  I always (from birth, LOL) gravitated towards folk music in general.  Then as a teenager, I started seeking out and discovering artists for myself, with the help of folk radio shows.  I discovered Celtic music with a passion.  And all kinds of World music.

Despite the fact that folk music is a thriving community, I rarely found peers who shared my interests.  Everyone my age liked pop, rock, rap, or country.  I'm 29, I was born after the 70's. :hehe:  While there are bound to be examples of pop, rock, and country that I like, plus rap to a lesser extent, when I talk about my favorite artists all I get are blank stares or "who?".

Anyway, I thought I would share some of my favorites with Exisle, because I know there are at least a few people here who will likely enjoy them.  :)  And if I happen to convert any newbies, that would be cool too!  Feel free to ask me any folk questions.

---

I'll start with Garnet Rogers, who's lyrics are currently quoted in my sig.  I could listen to Garnet for hours on end (and I have ;) ).

This is a song about remembering his late brother Stan, when they used to tour together.

Garnet Rogers - Night Drive - Listen Up

And some more favorites:

Garnet Rogers - All That Is

Garnet Rogers - Small Victory - Listen Up

I am also addicted to poetry in lyrics.  I plan to start a new thread to share my favorite lyrics, in order to include those who may not share my taste in music but would still appreciate the poetry.  :)

For other musical treats, see my thread in GMD:  When Si Fi Actors Sing.  ;)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 26 November 2010 - 10:18 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

The poetry in lyrics thread is now posted.
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

Great thread :) I was born after the 70s too but I LOVE some 70s musicians like James Taylor and Carole King. I tend to label them as "folk rock" - definitely poetry in lyrics imo.

For Britain I love Capercaillie (The band sing in Scots Gaelic as well as English) and a Welsh artist called Meinir Gwilym. There's also Dougie McLean who writes folk music that is extremely well known and loved in the UK folk scene.

Over in NZ I'm just getting into Bic Runga, she has an amazing voice and is a very talented singer songwriter imo - check out 'Sway' and 'Drive' by her.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

Wow, listening to stuff on the old laptop is much, much better!  Better speakers.    :happy:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

I'm crying happy tears over Small Victory.   :D   :happy:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

^  Nonny, that one always makes me cry too. :blush: :heart:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

I love that song.  There's a thread with links to several recordings of it, and I should find it and listen while I have the old laptop on.   :)
Posted Image

#10 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

View PostNonny, on 27 November 2010 - 05:32 PM, said:

I love that song.  There's a thread with links to several recordings of it, and I should find it and listen while I have the old laptop on.   :)

Here ya go, Nonny.

http://www.google.ca...3a13ca135a7dc39

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

It's also in When Si Fi Actors Sing.  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

D'oh!  I was just there earlier today!  Senior moment.     :freakoutnonny:  :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

That's OK, Harper and Tyr can be distracting.  ;)

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 27 November 2010 - 05:49 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

No kidding.   :D   I have loved the song since Leonard Cohen first released it, and I've enjoyed his music since he and Judy Collins both recorded Suzanne.  The recording of Hallelujah that gives me chills, though, is Rufus Wainwright's, and I like k.d. lang's very much too.  

And I like Rufus's mother and aunt very much too.   :)

Edited by Nonny, 27 November 2010 - 07:13 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

That is one very musical family. In fact, the list goes on!

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#16 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

I googled the McGarrigle Sisters, and discovered that they recorded one of my favorite 19th Century sad songs, Hard Times Come Again No More.  An anthem for our times, too.
Posted Image

#17 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

The McGarrigle Sisters On Mountain Stage

"The McGarrigles often brought their families with them and included them in their performances. Kate and Anna's songs, their harmonies and their family-band spirit spoke directly to the hearts of listeners in a manner that is true and rare."

Posted Image

#18 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:43 AM

So beautiful Nonny. :nod: And it makes me very happy that people are participating in these music threads.  :D  

I will add more when I am actually awake. ;)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#19 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

I have kind of a mixed relationship with folk music.  On one hand, most of my favorite artists are probably best-classified as "folk"  (or sometimes the more generic "singer-songwriters"), but any time I get lazy and use that "folk" category to start my searches, I end up with loads of music that is just too twangy and "country"-ish for my tastes.  It's a fine line, for me.

That said, a few of my favorite artists that are quite folk-y

And since you mentioned World Music, here's a couple more I love, even though I don't know what they say: :)

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#20 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on 26 November 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

Great thread :) I was born after the 70s too but I LOVE some 70s musicians like James Taylor and Carole King. I tend to label them as "folk rock" - definitely poetry in lyrics imo.

For Britain I love Capercaillie (The band sing in Scots Gaelic as well as English) and a Welsh artist called Meinir Gwilym. There's also Dougie McLean who writes folk music that is extremely well known and loved in the UK folk scene.

Over in NZ I'm just getting into Bic Runga, she has an amazing voice and is a very talented singer songwriter imo - check out 'Sway' and 'Drive' by her.

Sparky
Ahh, James Taylor.  :happy:   I have driven people mad by playing James Taylor on repeat!  :lol:  

Yep, I'm familiar with Capercaillie and Dougie McLean, they're good!  :)  And I will have to check out Meinir Gwilym and Bic Runga.  :think:

One of my favorite British singers is the spectacular scottish Archie Fisher.  He is a treasure whether singing traditional songs or writing his own.  He also has a knack for writing new songs that sound traditional!    Here he is on some traditional examples:

Archie Fisher - "I rede you beware"

Archie Fisher - The Bonny Broom

Archie Fisher - "Coll Mackenzie"

Will Ye Gang Love, Archie Fisher on Celtic Roots

Also, he and Garnet are friends, and perform together on occasion.  I hope to see them in concert together in the spring!  :cool:

Sometimes I am amazed at what turns up on the internet:  here are some videos of Archie and Garnet playing together at the Philadelphia Folk Festival in 1986!  :lol:

My Name is Jock Stewart - Archie Fisher / Garnet Rogers

Lassie O' The Mornin' - Archie Fisher & Garnet Rogers

SFG  :happy:

-----

Edit, more stuff.  ;)

To Nonny:

Kate and Anna McGarrigle: Heart Like a Wheel (Caffe Lena, 1990)

Rufus, Martha, Kate, Anna - Heart like a wheel - Watermill :D

Niko, my replies are a little delayed, but I will reply to you too.  :)

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 04 December 2010 - 02:32 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, folk, traditional, world, acoustic, folk music, my favorite things

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users