• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

HuffPo link

On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

Brown's case paves a path for constructing a permanent cure for HIV through genetically-engineered stem cells.

Amazing and awesome news!   :wow:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

Holy cow, amazing and awesome news indeed!  Time for us to make up for all the lost time in stem cell research.  Imagine all the good stuff we could have been learning!
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

There's a lot to be gained from stem-cell research. I hope that we're able to find the answers to a lot of questions about the human body.
Posted Image

#4 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

I hope two things: One that this is the real genuine deal, and two, that this opens the gates for further stem cell research.

#5 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

I'm not sure but I think that the stem cells used were regular adult stem cells
and not the controversial embryonic stem cells.  I think that they used stem cells
from a person who is naturally (genetically mutated) HIV resistant and doesn't have
the receptors that most people have in their cells for HIV to hide in.  I may not
be getting it totally right but I'm pretty sure I have it mostly right.

Still, anything that stem cells can do, whatever kind they are is wonderful.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#6 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

I want to hope that this is for real and not some fluke.

Now if they can just repeat this success

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, HIV/AIDS, Stem Cells, 2010

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users