White Collar: "Burke's Seven"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,200 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

White Collar returned last night with little fanfare that I was aware of, but luckily I caught a promo for it on Syfy the night before.

So we're back from the cliffhanger of Mozzie's shooting by Harry Dresden Larsen (Paul Blackthorne), and as we predicted, Mozzie barely survived the shooting and was rushed to the hospital (the bullet missed his heart by 2 millimeters).  A rather predictable outcome, and it underlines the problem of having cliffhangers based on violence against the regulars.  That's kind of a cheap way to go.

It might've been better if the cliffhanger had been the crisis set up for Peter here, where he's suspended because Larsen planted his fingerprints on the evidence.  Now on the outside, Peter must do it Neal's way (though I did like Neal's earlier moment when he decided it was time to do things Peter's way), so they put together a crew to pull a con sting.  I was hoping the title "Burke's Seven" might actually be a nod to Blake's 7, but it seems the intended referent was Ocean's Eleven.

Anyway, it was entertaining as usual, and the character stuff is still good (I loved it when Elle dealt herself into the sting and got rid of the phone booth guy in a way that made him happy, though it's implausible that he thought it was his wife's voice).  But I'm starting to think the show is better when it avoids the arc and just does standalones.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#2 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

An enjoyable hour.  Loved Peter on the horse and Mozzie's bendy straws.  But I'd like to see them get past the music box and go back to standalone eps.
Cats will never be extinct!

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

Rats, I was busy last night and forgot to record it. At least it will easily Hulu, not to mention the USA encores.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users