a2.jpg

#2 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

^ :clap:
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

a3.jpg

Though this ad is misleading in *so many* ways (e.g. AFAIK, the AMA has never had its own independent labs -- the AMA is a professional association, and doesn't do medical research or provide medical care any more than the AOPA does aviation research or flies planes, or the ABA argues Supreme Court cases), those are all the standard advertising lies in the era before consumer protections (and still common today in drug ads in every medical journal)

What they kept secret from *everyone* was that he Kent Micronite™ filter was made from asbestos--indeed, cocidolite one of the most carcinogenic forms of asbestos, well-known for causing cancer in everyone around it, including bystanders. Since the effects of such exposure peak 30-50 years after the exposure, the already-discontinued asbestos Micronite™ Kents would certainly have been a major contributor to the "second hand smoke" risks documented in studied from the 1970s onwards.

Ironically, Kent pulled another consumer rip-off that probably saved millions of lives: they only used their much vaunted asbestos filters (and advertised their 'health benefits') long enough to establish a brand identity, before switching to the much cheaper (much safer) cellulose filters used by other brands. They just tinted their cellulose blue to maintain the charade. The difference is plainly visible

a5.jpg

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,139 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

a1.jpg

#6 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,139 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

#7 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:08 AM

Ah, better times then.  Cigarettes were cool, it was fine licking your walls, having your pants ride up all the way past your waiste while sporting those fabulous butterfly collars was groovy, and wrapping your kids in cellophane kept 'em clean all day long.  ;)

I can't wait for the triumphant return of the mullet.  Mullets rule. :D

Just curious, ME, how'd you find my family photo from 1981?  'Ole Pappy and Ma' had a really hard time letting go of those glorious mullets.  The "Big Hair" that ruled the '80's just wasn't the same for them.  Pappy just didn't feel like working on the Camaro that's been sittin' on the cinder blocks no more ever since then.

Edited by Captain Jack, 07 February 2011 - 05:14 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#8 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

a1.jpg a2.jpg

Hide: 1903 medical journal (really) and 1904 Highlights magazine (kidding!)

#9 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

I remember the Mullet, I could not get any of the beauty shops to not give me one in the early 80's. They all turned a deaf ear when I said cut my naturally curly hair all one length. It felt so weird to walk around with the back of my hair flat while the rest was all springy.
ScottsCod.jpg
Sure it does.

#10 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,139 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

When I asked someone why we don't see $2 bills very often anymore, I was told they represented payment to prostitutes and were considered dirty.  Turns out it was a partially true. :whistle:

http://www.tnttrader...Dollar Bill.htm

#11 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:20 AM

View PostD.Rabbit, on 07 February 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

I remember the Mullet, I could not get any of the beauty shops to not give me one in the early 80's. They all turned a deaf ear when I said cut my naturally curly hair all one length. It felt so weird to walk around with the back of my hair flat while the rest was all springy.

Business on the front, party in the back as they used to say. :D
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#12 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:47 AM

a1.jpg

Ah yes, the humongous hand of Union Carbide dumping deadly chemicals on unsuspecting Indians.
Yes, that's the Union Carbide Bhopal plant they're bragging about in this picture!

Wikipedia said:

Source: Bhopal disaster

The Bhopal disaster is the world's worst industrial catastrophe. It occurred on the night of December 23, 1984 at the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) pesticide plant in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India. A leak of methyl isocyanate gas and other chemicals from the plant resulted in the exposure of hundreds of thousands of people. Estimates vary on the death toll. The official immediate death toll was 2,259 and the government of Madhya Pradesh has confirmed a total of 3,787 deaths related to the gas release.[1] Other government agencies estimate 15,000 deaths.[2] Others estimate that 3,000 died within weeks and that another 8,000 have since died from gas-related diseases.[3][4] A government affidavit in 2006 stated the leak caused 558,125 injuries including 38,478 temporary partial and approximately 3,900 severely and permanently disabling injuries.[5]

#13 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

a1.jpg

#14 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,139 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

#15 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

> 'start them on a strict regimen of sodas and other sugary...' ?!
............ and asbestos?!
oh hell why not tons of fatty stuff too while we're at it? no, I'll just go get the arsenic, save time and troubles,
:harper:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#16 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

And don't forget the laudanum (tincture of opium). Children should be seen but not heard, after all. (It's still sold in the US/UK)

#17 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,139 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

#18 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

a1.gif

Though sedating babies and small children continued long after the opium-based laudanum (even when I was a baby -- and I'm not counting the legitimate medical uses, like management of childhood seizures), this ad horrified me for a different reason: Thalidomide was THE horror drug for my generation, and our parents/grandparents. Widely prescribed to pregnant mothers, it produced several birth defects, most famously extremely short extremities and "flipper limbs", in over 10,000 babies before it was withdrawn.

I went to high school with a thalidomide no-longer-a-baby. His mother took it while the family was stationed in Germany-- weeks or months before it was banned in Germany (around the time of this ad). Though both his arms were about a foot from shoulder to fingertip and his legs were similarly shortened, nothing fazed him, and I never saw him display a hint of bitterness or sadness. I don't know the word for his fortitude --"courage" doesn't seem to fit-- but it was inspiring, nay, awe-inspiring. My brain couldn't encompass it.

He was surprisingly decent at basketball.

#19 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,139 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

#20 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,796 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

The creepiest thing about this ad isn't that the Corvair was the subject of Ralph Nader's 1965 book "Unsafe At Any Speed", which documented (among other things) its tendency to roll over and spin out of control.

No, the creepy thing is that, in hindsight, it is completely obvious that Chevrolet knew about these problems before they put the car into production. The 1960 was the first production year, five years before Nader's book, and yet the while film struck me as skewed and nonsensical compared to other new car promos of its eras, because of the way it focuses on exactly the issues that Nader would later discover. Promos for other cars of the era didn't scream "It doesn't roll over, nosirree, nope nope nope!"

It's as if Chevy *expected* the public to notice immediately, and was surprised when it didn't. (After all, one of its two test cars rolled early in testing.) Maybe that's why they eliminated the important front anti-sway bar after a couple of years.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users