SnowWorld Burn Patients 2011 Medicine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

Fascinating article at the BBC that is about a hi tech way to help burn patients deal with pain and has implications regarding the power of the "Mind."
http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-12297569

SnowWorld, set in an icy 3D canyon, was developed by Professor Hunter Hoffman and Professor David Patterson at the University of Washington Harborview Burn Centre in Seattle.

It evolved out of the scientific advances in the last decade in understanding pain.
Caleb Springer Caleb has had skin grafted from his back to his arms and legs

The aim of the game is "to make a very attention grabbing experience for the patient and basically to give them a place to escape from their pain" says Professor Hoffman.

Scientists have found many different elements can affect how we experience pain, including our emotions, environment, context and distractions.

Pax,
Julianus

#2 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

That sounds really awesome and if it gives ANY sort of relief to burn victims then great!

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

You know, it might just work at that.

Sometimes when I'm playing computer games myself I can be.... influenced by what I'm seeing. Sometimes when I'm working my way through an icy dungeon it can feel slightly colder in the room. Sometimes when I'm in a virtual desert the room can feel slightly warmer.

Maybe there's something to this then.
Rejected and gone.

#4 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

I think being in a "game" while debridement, some surgeries, or other painful procedures were being performed would offer advantages in cost savings and avoidance of allergic reactions to anesthetics.
I saw a film years ago of a woman undergoing a caesarean section under hypnosis. She thought she was in another place. I think a game would make it easier to distract the brain.
Something like the "Better than Life" game as described in the Red Dwarf series would be perfect...as long as the procedure did not take too long. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SnowWorld, Burn Patients, 2011, Medicine

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users