• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

I'm going to a job fair on Saturday for student science writers. After education, career goal, science writing experience, research experience, and newspaper experience, I have one inch left. Whew.

Now I need a conclusion. I usually list my interests, and so far I've been hired by people so it seems to work. People are always like, "I saw on your resume you're a violinist! That's awesome!" It seems to give people something to establish common ground with me. But is a line of interests a professional ending?

I could say "References available upon request," but that would be a little ridiculous because I'm supposed to bring a copy of my references separately to this fair.

Should I say that classic line anyway? Or interests? Or a little square like at the end of a magazine article? "The End"?

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,925 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

In my day, a self-drawn Larsen-style cartoon was considered obligatory (It was im possible to find a real one they hadn't seen) Some fields had specific formal equivalents (e.g. cartoons by TAB for TiBS [Trends in Biochemical Sciences])

Today, I believe a LOLcat or XKCD is considered sufficient

#3 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,627 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Like Posted Image?

I'm more of a maths geek - I'd be suggesting things like QED. Or that little square we mathematicians draw cause we're too lazy to write QED. Usually goes at the right hand side.

Awesome paint example!                                                           QED.jpg
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#4 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

I'm struggling with even writing a resume.  If only I could write "HIRE ME!  Because I'm worth it!" and that would be enough to get me in. :lol:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#5 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Writing a resume is always hard because there are so many methods and everyone will tell you their way is the best way. It can be pretty overwhelming trying to figure out what works.

There's a reason that I tend to stay with jobs for long periods of time. :D (if possible)

Because I hate rewriting and/or updating the resume!!

Edited by Tricia, 14 February 2011 - 06:58 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#6 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 16,925 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Sadly, on viewing Alica's cartoon, my first thought was "Ah, the so-called 3K Planck thermal radiation of space!"

Question: which is sadder? That the cartoon lobe of my brain recognized it, or that my math lobe confirmed it as correct?

-- Orpheus "in the wavelength domain, under Wein's Law, it's 1.06 = 283 GHz instead" <-- so sad he makes bedraggled puppies cry

#7 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

I end mine with a section titled: Awards, Honors and Activities that is essentially my catchall. It's got stuff like Dean's List, Amateur Radio License, Flute, Photography....stuff like that.

I wouldn't put references available upon request as that is understood.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

That or special things like if you're proficient in another language.  Or you have experience with any software out there that is not considered a given or something.
Posted Image

#9 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thanks everyone! I think I'll actually stick with "interests." Software or awards or languages are all good ideas, but all those things are implied by my current line of interests.

Orph-my business card does have a cartoon of myself on it. :lol: It needed a graphic and it was all I could think of.

#10 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Resumes give me nightmares as there really isn't a set standard in how to format them.  Sometimes you put your education first, sometimes it's you employment history, or it could be something else.  Objective statements are no longer used or wanted now.  It can be agggravating because you can't use the same formatted resume for all the jobs you are applying for even if they are similar.  I found this out the hard way.  And then there is the lovely challenge of trying to use the right key-words that employers are looking for.  All this (and more), plus trying to create a piece that will make you look good and stand out from the rest is just so very unpleasant to do over and over again.  And, of course, the whole point of it all is to essentially sell yourself.  This is partly why I went to work for myself.  Unfortunately, that hasn't worked out so well no thanks to an ailing economy.  So, the resume writing has come back to haunt me as well.  And we haven't even gotten to the cover letter part. ;)

Hope you go the answers you were looking for, Lyric of Delphi, and best of luck to you.
Posted Image

#11 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

Very consistent advice is don't say "References available upon request" because people expect that anyway.  Interests, hobbies, awards, or something else relevant to the job is best.

Good luck!
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

I just provide a list of references.  But not everyone is an old fogey like me.  :crazy:
Posted Image

#13 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 16,925 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Have you considered ending your resume with an open-ended cliffhanger to allow for a sequel?

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

I can just see it:

"to be continued..."
Posted Image

#15 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 16,925 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

Job App II: The Resume of Khan
Job App III: The Applicant Strikes Back
Job App IV: Return of the Job Fair
Job App V: Judgement Day
Job App VI: The Undiscovered Career Path
Job App VII: Kneel before Zod
Job App VIII: Lyric of Delphi and the Interview of Doom
Job App IX: Lyrics

#16 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 17 February 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

Job App II: The Resume of Khan
Job App III: The Applicant Strikes Back
Job App IV: Return of the Job Fair
Job App V: Judgement Day
Job App VI: The Undiscovered Career Path
Job App VII: Kneel before Zod
Job App VIII: Lyric of Delphi and the Interview of Doom
Job App IX: Lyrics

Would "World Domination" could as a skill? ;)

Anyway, I've heard that some employers don't like resume's that are more than one page long.  Is this true?
Posted Image

#17 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 17 February 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

Anyway, I've heard that some employers don't like resume's that are more than one page long.  Is this true?
Only because the applicant does not have an extensive work history, or education and they don't have to pay them as much.
Experience counts for nothing in today's market.
Good xyzt to you, = a web greeting that includes all time zones and planets.
-----------------
Posted Image

#18 Orpheus

Orpheus

• Administrator
  • 16,925 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, most definitely don't like a second page. And though my CV hasn't fit on one page in my adult life, I can see why they don't.

It's been almost 30 years since my first time wading through a stack of resumes, and though I diligently sorted them in stacks graded A, B, C, D, F and "show this one around the office as a good laugh", only the As ever got a second look. An employer wants the best candidate (or at least among the best), and though some candidates might have done surprisingly well in the job, most of my sorting was really just a sign of respect to the B's, who I felt deserved better than to share a pile with the F's.

On a purely rational basis, I should have sorted out a folder for "further consideration" and a big pile for "sorry!".

Don't get me wrong. I think the entire hiring process is a travesty (and most studies agree), but it does suggest that the best approach is a targeted resume, with a strong BRIEF first section that basically explains "Why I am an A". Alas, a lot of bosses (or whatever peon is forced to do the initial screening) are basically working by a crude checklist, and may not even look at a nonstandard opening section. (Which is just one reason the process generally sucks)

I personally think a slightly nonstandard resume (a tasteful background image or better paper stock) helps, but some clerical minds may subconsciously seek reasons to weed out those "inconvenients". I tell myself that I probably wouldn't be happy working in such a department anyway, but I know that it's often the office drone who gets that task, when (or because) everyone else is cool.

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

My resume is two pages but that's expected of lawyers who've been at it for a long time.
Posted Image

#20 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

^I can buy that.  Since when can any lawyer keep anything to just one page anyway?  lol.  I kid, I kid. :lol:

I think Orpheus is right, though I find "C" and "D" piles to be useless.  Good paper is a must, but more and more often jobs are posted online and require resume's to be submitted electronically now.  The new peon's are scanning computers looking for key-words and do the sorting for whoever get's what the system thinks are the best prospects.  It's gotten worse, not better, unfortunately.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users