Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

6.5 Earthquake In Christchurch NZ-Sparky, Check in

Natural disasters Earthquake New Zealand 2011

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

As I was busy cleaning out my basement, I heard on NPR that a 6.5 temblor struck Christchurch, New Zealand. SparkyCola, check in and let us know you're okay.

{{{Sparky}}}

:hugs:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

ooooooo , cathedral spire toppled,

report from AP news agency,

http://news.yahoo.co...land_earthquake
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

Stuff.Co.nz

3.14 pm : Airways New Zealand, which provides the country’s air traffic control service is trying to re-establish its network.

Spokeswoman Nikki Hawkey said the national network is controlled from Christchurch, but there is a back up facility in Auckland.

"They are getting a service back-up and running," Mr Hawkey says.

"They may have transferred some control to Auckland, that is probably the most likely thing to have happened."

3.08 pm: There is a reported shortage of ambulances in Christchurch.

A four wheel drive has taken injured people away from PGG building, and people are beign brought out on makeshift stretchers

3.07pm: Auckland Hospital has been put on code red for Christchurch patients.

3.06pm: Telecom says it is experiencing serious over-loading and has asked people not make calls unless it's an emergency.

3.03pm: Civil Aviation Authority spokesman Bill Sommer said, contrary to some reports, New Zealand's national airspace had not been shut down. Flights in and out of Christchurch Airport have been shut down till at least 7pm, Air New Zealand says.

Jetstar has suspended all services to and from Christchurch as well as services to and from Auckland, Wellington and Queenstown.

2.58pm: A body has been pulled from the wreckage of a collapsed block of shops on the corner of Lichfield and High Streets. Rescue services believe another four or five people are trapped in the rubble.

Thirty rescue workers are currently trying to pull them out, assisted by members of the public.

2.57pm Firemen are evacuating people from the roof of the Pyne Gould Guinness building, which has been severely damaged. Some people are being brought out on stretchers.

2.50pm: A magnitude 5.5 aftershock at a depth of 5 km, centred within 5 km of Lyttelton.

2.39 pm: A magnitude 4.0 aftershock struck at a depth of 8 km, 10 km north-east of Lyttelton.

2.37pm: John Hamilton, head of Civil Defence, says a level 3 emergency has been declared. This is the highest level that can be declared for a regional emergency.  

The Civil Defence is struggling to communicate with Christchurch2.33pm: Police say there are reports of multiple fatalities at several locations in central Christchurch.

The central city is being evacuated as police receive reports of widespread damage to buildings and infrastructure.

2.31pm: There are witness reports of people screaming from within the rubble.

There are casualties in Cashel Mall, which is described as "like a war zone". Building facades have collapsed.

Ad Feedback There are reports people could be trapped in the Provincial Chambers Building near the courthouse, which has collapsed.

Oh no! :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

CNN is talking about multiple fatalities. :( Serious damage reported, buildings collapsing, numerous injuries. The airport is closed, and cellphones are down. :(

Edited by Analog Kid, 21 February 2011 - 09:23 PM.

Posted Image

#5 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

Poor Christchurch.  :(  

After the last Christchurch earthquake (poor, poor Christchurch!), I seem to recall Sparky saying she was on the north island.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

BBC

Brendan Burns, MP for Christchurch Central: "The situation is pretty desperate"
The tremor, which hit at 1251 (2351 GMT on Monday) only 10km (6.2 miles) south-east of the city at a depth of 5km (3.1 miles), caused widespread destruction.

The fire service said numerous people were trapped in buildings, while the mayor said there was "great confusion".

The damage is said to be far worse than after September's 7.1-magnitude quake.

'Very black day'

TV pictures of the aftermath of Tuesday's earthquake showed several collapsed buildings in the centre of Christchurch.

Local police said there were reports of multiple fatalities, including that two buses had been crushed by falling buildings.

There were also reports of fires and of numerous people being trapped in collapsed buildings, they added. Witnesses said up to 150 people alone were feared trapped inside the Pyne Gould Guinness building.

Local television showed bodies being pulled out of rubble strewn around the city centre. It was not known if they were alive.

Christchurch Cathedral, an iconic stone building in the centre of the city, was partly destroyed, its spire toppling into the square below.

"I was in the square right outside the cathedral - the whole front has fallen down and there were people running from there - there were people inside as well," John Gurr, a camera technician, told the Reuters news agency. "Colombo Street, the main street, is just a mess."

There is also a shortage of ambulances, so private vehicles are being used to ferry the injured to triage centres. Initial reports said the main hospital had been evacuated, but this was later denied by the police.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said he was on the top floor of the city council building when the quake hit, throwing him across the room.

"I got down onto the street and there were scenes of great confusion, a lot of very upset people," he said. "What I can see from where I am in the central city is that there are significant amounts of additional damage."

"Make no mistake - this is going to be a very black day for this shaken city," he added.

:(
Posted Image

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 21 February 2011 - 10:35 PM, said:

Poor Christchurch.  :(  

After the last Christchurch earthquake (poor, poor Christchurch!), I seem to recall Sparky saying she was on the north island.

Afterwards, she went to the south island, if I'm correct. Boy-I hope she checks in. :( This sounds REALLY bad. :(
Posted Image

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Scott,

WNBC had the Christchurch temblor as the opening story-so that should tell you how bad it must be. :(
Posted Image

#9 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:27 PM

Oh no... I just read about this...

I've been reading at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/ and latest updates http://www.nzherald....jectid=10707997

It sounds really bad. We stayed at a hotel in the City Center when we went to NZ and we saw a lot of the buildings they are talking about. I just read that there are a lot of damaged hotels and office buildings...

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

Lots of coverage at the link below, plus some incredible pictures of the destruction. There appear to be live Twitter feeds as well.

The New Zealand Herald
Posted Image

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

Shoshana,

It looks like we cross-posted. The New Zealand Herald is a very good online news source. I read it once in a while.
Posted Image

#12 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

yup, crossposted.

Hope Sparky's ok too. South Island is bigger than just Christchurch so hopefully there is a good chance that Sparky's not actually right there. But I think that's like the biggest city on the South Island..

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:00 AM

View PostShoshana, on 21 February 2011 - 11:44 PM, said:

yup, crossposted.

Hope Sparky's ok too. South Island is bigger than just Christchurch so hopefully there is a good chance that Sparky's not actually right there.

I'm aware of that.

But I think that's like the biggest city on the South Island..

That's my understanding. I'm off to bed soon-hopefully there be some word from Sparky while I'm asleep.
Posted Image

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

I'm now reading of a 6.3 earthquake in the waters south of the island of Fiji, and a volcanic eruption in the Phillipines.

The Pacific Ring Of Fire is coming to life.  :crazy:
Posted Image

#15 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

The Pacific Ring of Fire has always been alive. ;)  Japan gets hit with hundreds of small tremors a day, or so I've heard.  The little ones are not a big deal, but anything hitting mid 5's is what to start worrying about in many places.  Good thoughts and prayers to all those who are over there.  New Zealand is beautiful.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#16 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

just checking here at Exisle to see what info you all might have about the quake in Christchurch. Thanks, Analog, for starting this thread.

{{{{{{{{{{{{shana}}}}}}}}}}}  boy, this place looks a little different these days. :)  I'm still on an Iolausian list (Michael Hurst as Iolaus in Hercules, Legendary Journeys. Michael is a Kiwi actor) but there's not much info there yet.

I hope anyone I might know doenw there is okay.  I'll keep on checking back on this thread and the board to see what you guys post here.My best wishes to all of you here, shambalayogi or just shamba
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#17 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:12 AM

Just woke up, and am getting ready to go to work. NPR says the death toll is at 65. :(
Posted Image

#18 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:18 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 22 February 2011 - 12:41 AM, said:

The Pacific Ring of Fire has always been alive. ;)  Japan gets hit with hundreds of small tremors a day, or so I've heard.  The little ones are not a big deal, but anything hitting mid 5's is what to start worrying about in many places.  Good thoughts and prayers to all those who are over there.  New Zealand is beautiful.

Oh, I'm well aware of the Pacific Ring Of Fire's history. A quarter of a million people were killed in 2004's tsunami, caused by an undersea temblor of magnitude 8.5-this happened near Sumatra, I think. Another infamous disaster is the explosion of the island of Krakatoa in 1883, where 36,000 people were killed. The explosion was said to be the loudest noise on the earth. Krakatoa at the time consisted of 3 volcanic islands, and two of them blew up.

I guess I'm talking about the coincidence of the Fiji & New Zealand earthquakes, along with the eruption of the Phillipine volcano.  :whatsthat:
Posted Image

#19 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

I just heard on NPR.  I hope Sparky checks in soon.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

SPARKY IS FINE

I got a text from her this morning, but unfortunately was on the road and couldn't access Exisle while in and out of meetings. She's okay, but is currently without water and power. She wanted to let us know that having just finished watching the Supernatural season 5 finale when the quake happened,it didn't seem so traumatic :)

I'm sure she'll be on and posting when she gets a chance.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquake, New Zealand, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users