Natural disasters Earthquake New Zealand 2011

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Godeskian for the update... I'm glad Sparky is ok.  If she texts you again send mine and balth's hugs to her!

#22 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

Glad she's okay. My best wishes and condolences to all the survivors.

View PostGodeskian, on 22 February 2011 - 09:57 AM, said:

She wanted to let us know that having just finished watching the Supernatural season 5 finale when the quake happened,it didn't seem so traumatic :)
Guess it's a good thing it wasn't the S4 finale. ;)
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#23 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Thank goodness. Where would this board be without me having someone to violently disagree with?!? :p~

{{{{ :hugs: Sparky :hugs: }}}}
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#24 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,550 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

I have friends currently in Wanganui. Does anyone know where that is in relation to the quake? (They drove there from Wellington so I'm guessing they are still on the North Island.)

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#25 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for letting us know Gode.
Posted Image

#26 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

The New Zealand Herald says the death toll could be as high as 300. :( :cry:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#27 Lupatria

Lupatria

/thoughtfully smiling

• Islander
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

Very VERY glad to hear Sparky is ok. Can stop wibbling now.  :blush:

#28 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Cardie - Wanganui is bottom middle of the North Island, above Wellington. Christchurch is centre right of the South Island. I imagine they would have felt the quake there, but only a minor tremor - I'd be surprised if anything got damaged that far up. Mind you, people here are agreeing that this was much worse than the September one - more violent, I guess because it was 5km down instead of 33km, and closer to the centre.

I'm in Christchurch living about 10 mins from the four avenues (around the city centre) which have been cordoned off. I was in my room at the time, first floor of the house (which is good, better to be on the highest floor) and my room thankfully was the least damaged in the house ;) Across the corridor my housemate (who wasn't in) had a huge slab of plaster fall on their bed, and all their books, cds and dvds on the floor, loads of book shelves and drawers had fallen over about the house. Down the road there's piles of sludge and liquefaction, the road has a natural speed bump in it now.

Last I heard there were 65 dead and 100s still trapped, but that was yesterday so I imagine the death toll has risen. 80% (including us) still without water but at least we've got power back now and the phone networks handled the thing remarkably well throughout. Who needs water when you have internet {{{{{'net}}}}

This is a major deal for Christchurch. People have died, the iconic cathedral is broken, the already stretched temporary housing and repairs and finances from the last quake in September, and the big aftershock on boxing day, are really in trouble. They've accepted international aid from Aus and elsewhere. Lots of the residents here are just incredibly shaken up and want to move- they know they have months of aftershocks to go through AGAIN and re-repairing their crumbling houses AGAIN and just can't face it. One of my housemates (the landlord) said he isn't sure if Christchurch can survive this. The city's wrecked. :(

Oh and yeah, that Supernatural finale was SO frustrating, grrr... *goes off to review*

Thanks for the concern - but I'm fine. If it had been a volcano I'd probably be declaring a code brown situation but quakes I can deal with.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#29 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Sparky, very very glad you are safe!  same for your housemate....good thing they weren't home in bed!  sad for all the deaths and injuries and damage though. i hope they can repair the cathedral and some of the buildings (i know some are/will be a total loss) after the people are taken care of and everything is cleaned up. :hugs:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#30 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

The death toll has risen to 75. :(
Posted Image

#31 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

{{{{Sparky}}}}

So glad to see you're safe! :hugs:
Posted Image

#32 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:07 AM

This is such a terrible tragedy to devastate such a lovely town. My heart goes out to all the people of Christchurch, and godspeed the rescue effort.

Batrochides

#33 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

Thanks AK :hugs:

I was/am lucky in lots of ways. Lucky knowing that my family were all safe and sound in the UK, and none of my friends were in danger (very easy to stay calm when those things are checked off). Lucky not to be a tourist that day, thank goodness for being a couch potato instead of seeing the sights (I've already seen practically everything - thank goodness I'd already seen the cathedral and Lyttelton harbour especially). And very lucky I hadn't yet moved into the city centre hostel I was going to move into this friday (but can't because it's closed) - that hostel is right next to the cathedral, it's probably rubble now. Also lucky that no plaster came down in my room, and since I hardly have any things with me there wasn't much to fall off anything. None of my things are damaged.

Could really do with some water though. But still. "Could be worse" is a bit of an understatement!

Sparky

#34 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

Aerial Christchurch, by RT, on 'the You' ,

this is, wow, I posted cyclone vids of Queensland, but this is even more sad,

ps, if you click in a second time, you get whole You page opened,

Edited by offworlder, 23 February 2011 - 05:31 AM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#35 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

That's a lot of luck, Sparky!  I'm glad you're okay.    :hugs:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#36 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,493 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

:hugs: Sparky! :hugs: Glad you're okay as well as your friends down there. So sad for Christchurch though. :(  That video makes it seem even more devastated. (thanks for finding that btw, offworlder.)  How's your host?  Are they okay with all the damage to their house (and more than likely friends/family in other areas of Christchurch)?  With this happening and your plans erased to move into the now closed hostel, are you looking to stay in Christchurch or move on?

P.S. With the hole in your flatmate's room and it pouring rain, is the house in further danger of collapse/internal flooding or have you managed to fix it up?
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#37 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

^

I was thinking the same thing. You're not planning to stay in Christchurch, are you Sparky?

Edited to clarify: given the chaos going on there, I know that leaving Christchurch would be extremely difficult-but I hope you can. I imagine your parents are worried sick.

Edited by Analog Kid, 23 February 2011 - 10:24 AM.

Posted Image

#38 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

Sparky I'm so glad you're safe!!!!!  :hugs: (((((Sparky)))))

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#39 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

{{{{{{{{{Sparky}}}}}}}}}

I am so glad that you are safe...I've been worried off and on all day, as I saw the news late last night, and then we lost Internet for a good part of the day due to a technical glitch.

Gode, thank you for letting us know.

As long as I'm here....this is a link about a glacier that came loose because of the quake.

Peri
Posted Image

#40 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

Don't worry- the house is fine, the plaster has come down off some rooms, but the roof and ceiling structures themselves are fine, definitely not rain coming in. The damage seems to be (touch wood) mainly aesthetic - it's mostly just the plaster that's come off/down. The actual wood structure of the house is fine.

The house I'm in is a 2 storey 100 year old colonial style wooden building - it's already been through a 1930s quake, the September quake and now this one and come out essentially unscathed. *Looks at house fondly*. Wood is what you want- I wouldn't feel so safe in a brick building I don't think.

I'm house-sharing in ChCh rather than doing HelpX or Couchsurfing, so I pay rent and it's a typical house-share sort of situation. It's quite a studenty sort of house, so no one here is particularly bothered about the bits of plaster falling off, it was kind of shabby/in serious need of DIY anyway (paint jobs and things like that).

Originally my plan was:

25th Feb: Move to city centre hostel (i booked that ages ago because it was $60 for 10 days, i.e. 3 a night!!)
7th March: Meet Mum at airport and join the booked tour we're on.

Now I'll just stay here until the 7th March and then I'll meet my mum (who will never see Christchurch now :( Shame, it really is my favourite city in NZ. Such a lovely place. :( ) and join the tour which ends in Auckland and then I go back home to the UK.

I could make use of AirNZ's $50 "Get out of ChCh" deal but hey - I'm not bothered about the aftershocks, and it would just be hassle and upheaval for no reason, and I have to be back here by the 7th anyhow. Much easier to just stay here.

Thanks again for all the well wishes :hugs: {{{{{{EIers}}}}}}} :hugs: And yeah, my mum is worried. She's a natural "worrier" at the best of times.

Sparky

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquake, New Zealand, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users