Natural disasters Earthquake New Zealand 2011

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:40 AM

I didn't know your mom was going down.  That's awesome. :)  And it's good that people worry about you Sparky, it shows they care. :)  Sadly and far too often, most people don't.  Good to see that the house is structurally sound.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#42 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:31 AM

Sparky! So glad to see you're ok! I read some of the backpacker places are damaged, glad you were in a safer place!

I just can't get over the pictures of the destruction. We walked all over the area they say is most damaged when we were there and there was so many interesting buildings. So many with masonry facades that fell. And the Cathedral.

I feel so bad for all the people there affected by this earthquake!

#43 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

This morning at work, while listening to NPR, I heard the death toll has risen to 98. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#44 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 23 February 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

Don't worry- the house is fine, the plaster has come down off some rooms, but the roof and ceiling structures themselves are fine, definitely not rain coming in. The damage seems to be (touch wood) mainly aesthetic - it's mostly just the plaster that's come off/down. The actual wood structure of the house is fine.

The house I'm in is a 2 storey 100 year old colonial style wooden building - it's already been through a 1930s quake, the September quake and now this one and come out essentially unscathed. *Looks at house fondly*. Wood is what you want- I wouldn't feel so safe in a brick building I don't think.

I'm house-sharing in ChCh rather than doing HelpX or Couchsurfing, so I pay rent and it's a typical house-share sort of situation. It's quite a studenty sort of house, so no one here is particularly bothered about the bits of plaster falling off, it was kind of shabby/in serious need of DIY anyway (paint jobs and things like that).

Originally my plan was:

25th Feb: Move to city centre hostel (i booked that ages ago because it was $60 for 10 days, i.e. £3 a night!!)
7th March: Meet Mum at airport and join the booked tour we're on.

Now I'll just stay here until the 7th March and then I'll meet my mum (who will never see Christchurch now :( Shame, it really is my favourite city in NZ. Such a lovely place. :( ) and join the tour which ends in Auckland and then I go back home to the UK.

I could make use of AirNZ's $50 "Get out of ChCh" deal but hey - I'm not bothered about the aftershocks, and it would just be hassle and upheaval for no reason, and I have to be back here by the 7th anyhow. Much easier to just stay here.

Thanks again for all the well wishes :hugs: {{{{{{EIers}}}}}}} :hugs: And yeah, my mum is worried. She's a natural "worrier" at the best of times.

Sparky

In all honesty, Sparky-if things get too hairy, get the hell out of there. You're better off dealing with the hassle of getting out of there, with the outcome being you getting out with your life. And frankly-have someone check that house you're in to be sure it's safe. Just because something is old and has survived past disasters doesn't mean that will be the case this time.

Like I said-I want someone to lock horns with/disagree vehemently with on Ex-Isle :p

STAY SAFE.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#45 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,316 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sparky}}}}}}}}}}}}}} So glad you're safe!  Thanks for keeping us informed, and thanks too to Analog Kid for this thread!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#46 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hi rez shots of Christchurch,
plus more, more coverage, videos, &etc
http://www.cnn.com/i...ke/page.01.html
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#47 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

This was just emailed to me, and I don't have a link.  It's from today's Globe & Mail.

N.Z. quake leaves Canadian-born bishop with respect for ‘Mother Nature’

The Canadian-born Bishop of Christchurch was coughing up mortar dust at the end of the line. Before her lay the rubble of the Christchurch Cathedral, symbol of a city in ruins.

Victoria Matthews was ordained inside the historic New Zealand cathedral in 2008. The former Anglican bishop of Edmonton has celebrated Christmases and Easters inside its sanctuary, and visited it nearly every day. Now, she was standing before its toppled spire and scattered stones as crews prepared to start searching for bodies...

She served as bishop of the Anglican diocese of Edmonton for 10 years until 2007 and was assistant Bishop of Toronto from 1994 to 1997. These days, she has been caring for those in need in the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch, a devastated place where rescue teams have abandoned hope of finding survivors and the death toll has climbed to 113.

Meanwhile, the bishop’s church has literally crumbled.

“We used to call the cathedral the heart of the city,” she said, “and we’re now calling it the broken heart of the city."..

In the aftermath, Bishop Matthews has been working to ensure that churches still standing remain open around the clock for prayer and pastoral care. She is organizing door-to-door visits to check on people, and helped evacuate busloads of seniors from a nursing home. While she mourns her shattered church, which officials are already saying will be rebuilt, she is far more affected by the loss of life.

Despite the city’s devastation, she has been struck by the absence of looting and by Kiwis’ resilience, she said. “People are trying to help one another, I am very impressed by their human spirit.”

This week’s earthquake was the third major temblor Bishop Matthews has experienced in Christchurch since September. (On a previous occasion, nails and mortar were scattered on screaming parishioners, and the tower’s bells started eerily ringing on their own)....

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#48 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

Gonna make this fast-life's a hurricane at the moment, and I'm taking a brief dinner break before I head out. From Lucy Lawless, who's in Los Angeles now, off her site:

Dear God!
This earthquake disaster just doesn't quit!  We are still trying to track some overseas friends who were in Christchurch at the time.  I know they survived, but don't know where they are.

So many young faces on the list of confirmed dead.  It's just awful.

I am so moved by the efforts of the overseas search and rescue agencies.  The US news showed a huge contingent crewing up with a whole mobile hospital, water purifiers, etc.

It brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes to see my little country at a time of tragedy receiving the kindness of so many from far away.  We are so very grateful for your assistance.

God bless us all,
Lucy

The BBC reports 113 dead, with 220 missing. :( Horrible...just horrible. :cry:

Time to hop on the bike and run errands...

Edited by Analog Kid, 25 February 2011 - 09:06 PM.

Posted Image

#49 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:28 AM

145 now. :(
Posted Image

#50 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

http://www.telegraph...d-building.html

stories of disaster, missing, and heroism ..

and this just in,
120 of the missing are in Canterbury TV bldg,

http://www.guardian....ouise-amantillo

PS Will people move out? is this a partial deathnell for the city? will things be rebuilt? well I think so, but questions abound in this (Downunder, do they say Downunder for NZ) city below the climate and season belt?
' Before Tuesday Cantabrians believed they had already been through the Big One. On September 4 last year an earthquake of magnitude 7.1 struck – at night, deeper in the earth, and further from the city. Despite great damage no human life was lost. Compared with Tuesday's 6.3 aftershock it now seemed like "a tickle", one resident said. But it caused massive damage and entailed hundreds of aftershocks. It was not until after the long summer holiday that many young people had regained their confidence.

Inevitably an exodus from the city has begun.'

'With water and electricity still out in many parts of the city, homes shattered, roads split apart and businesses closed indefinitely, there seemed little alternative. "It's all too much," one said. "Right now I can't even think about coming back."

They left behind a place that in parts was unrecognisable – a ravaged echo of this proud, well-kept New Zealand city. Amid countless scenes of devastation, with buildings collapsed like houses of cards, the crumpled steeple of Christchurch cathedral somehow summed up the city's heartbreak – to both locals and anyone who has visited.'
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#51 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

:( I hope they bring it back... I love this city. It's the best city in NZ. One of my faves in the world actually *hugs Christchurch* ...so hopefully people will stay. If I lived here as a resident instead of a visitor, I'd stay. It does look wrecked right now, and it will take time and work, but it's worth it. The roads are a mess but NZ is kind of amazing at roadwork (way better than the UK), still it will definitely take months, probably at least a couple of years to get it looking like it was.

Thing is most people can't really move even if they want to. I know the people who own my house were planning on moving to Aus before this happened- now they can't. They can't sell the house in the condition it's in and they can't repair it until the EQC come around and assess it and do repairs or give them money for repairs. Last quake it took nearly 6 months for them to come and look at the house. 60% of the city has water now at least (though not us still). Power's back mostly everywhere. I imagine the death toll will be around 340 at the end of it. :cry:

Part of the charm of the city though is the beautiful, clear, fairly shallow river that winds it's way through the city under bridges and sheltered by trees and green riverbanks all the way along- and that still looks the same if nothing else! The beautiful architecture in the centre (like the cathedral) is mostly still there and hopefully they can and will repair it as it looked before. I have faith that they can restore Christchurch to its former glory. but it will definitely take time - and just like before they'll be holding off from doing anything, purely because they don't want another earthquake sending them back to square one. Again.

AK - thanks again for this thread, especially when you're so busy. It's appreciated :)

Offworlder- we tend to joke that it's "Down underer" since it's below Aus ;)

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 26 February 2011 - 09:07 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#52 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

No problem, Sparky. :cool:

BBC

Tuesday's quake killed at least 145 people; some 200 are still missing.

Prime Minister John Key said there was still a glimmer of hope survivors could be found in the wreckage of the country's worst-ever disaster.

But no-one has been found alive since Wednesday, and rescuers working for a fifth day are only finding bodies.

In the meantime, engineers say at least a third of the buildings in the centre of Christchurch will need to be demolished, while hundreds of damaged suburban homes may also have to be pulled down.

Mr Key said the disaster "may be New Zealand's single most tragic event", outstripping a 1931 quake in Napier which killed 256.
He said a two-minute silence would be held on Tuesday at 1251 local time (2351 GMT Monday), a week after the quake struck.

Having met relatives of the dead and missing, Mr Key said: "It's fair to say they fear the worst but there is still a glimmer of hope."

And this...

For many residents, it is all too much, and there is an exodus from Christchurch, says the BBC's Phil Mercer in the city.

:(
Posted Image

#53 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

more pics
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#54 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Geez.    :(    

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{People of Christchurch}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Visitors to Christchurch}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sparky}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#55 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

NZ quake unearths 'time capsules'

Two objects believed to be time capsules have been discovered in the aftermath of last week's ruinous earthquake in New Zealand.

A glass bottle with a parchment inside and a metal cylinder were found by rescuers searching the grounds of the cathedral in the city of Christchurch.

They were in the base of a statue of John Robert Godley, the Irishman credited with founding Christchurch.

Mayor Bob Parker called the timing of the find "inspirational".

It'll be interesting to see what's inside them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#56 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

WOW! That's amazing! :o
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#57 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

link

Search and rescue crews found two more bodies overnight, lifting the death toll from the February 22 Christchurch earthquake to 163.

Police now expect the toll to reach 220 when all bodies have been recovered.

Superintendent Russell Gibson told Radio New Zealand that he believed the two bodies had been recovered from the Pyne Gould Corporation building, but he was not certain.

Overnight police caught 10 people drink driving, with one person hitting the CBD cordon, but there were no quake-related arrests.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquake, New Zealand, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users