• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

I'm going to start this off by saying three things:

1. This thread may contain spoilers for Dragon Age: Origins and its expansion pack, The Awakening. It definitely contains spoilers for the Dragon Age II demo.

2. These are only my thoughts on what BioWare has made available in the demo. The full game is clearly going to offer more options.

3. I LOVE Dragon Age: Origins. It's one of my favorite RPGs in years, with only Fallout 3 tying for first place. I should also note that I played the PC version, which had more of a Baldur's Gate-like interface/tactical perspective.

For those that want to give the demo a try and can run the PC version, you can check it out here:
http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo/ (2 GB)

Ok, now onto my initial thoughts on this. So far, my reaction is mixed. There's a lot to love about what BioWare has done to move the series forward. And several things that I really dislike. The good outweighs the bad, however. That's the good news. The bad news is that this game really doesn't feel much like Dragon Age to me. For one thing, it's suffering from a very serious case of console-itis. And there are way too many things that are ripped right out of the Mass Effect series. I like both series but one of the great things about Dragon Age: Origins was that it wasn't Mass Effect. And Mass Effect isn't Dragon Age. But Dragon Age II merges the two games. For now, I'm just going to list my current pros and cons. I reserve the right to change my mind about these at any point. ;)

Pros
Fast paced combat: Combat in DA2 has been drastically sped up. It's so fast that if it wasn't for the role-playing options, this would be a pure action game (hmm, sounds like Mass Effect 2). Thankfully, you can still take control of all of your party members and you can pause the action to issue orders. Combat looks and plays beautifully. It's very responsive, smoothly animated, and very intense.

Intense and gory: The first game had its fair share of blood and gore but DA2 takes it a step further. Since you're more up close to the action, you get a more close-up view of the exploding enemies, the blood splatters, etc. This really makes the game feel far more intense than the first game.

Graphical overhaul: This game looks pretty nice if you enable DirectX 11 visuals. Objects are more rounded and not nearly as blocky, the shadows are better and don't slow the game down. Throwing fireballs around has never looked better. The game isn't on par with some of the games currently coming out but it's a step up from the original. That said, the color scheme is very...brown.

Complexity: Despite overhauling the combat system, it doesn't appear as if BioWare has sacrificed any of the complexity of the first game. At least when it comes to combat. The demo mostly just shows off combat (so far). So I can't really comment on the inventory system, crafting, etc. Unlike Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age II still has an inventory system and the skill system seems to offer a lot of depth. Changing your weapons and armor will likely have an impact on things as well.

Cons
Limited customization: When starting the game, you can choose your gender and your class: mage, warrior, or rogue. Depending on what you choose, your character will start with an appropriate weapon set and fighting style. Unfortunately, the demo forces you to look a certain way. And the game also forces you to be human and gives you a pre-determined origin story that appears to be the same regardless of the class you choose. Although your class choices do seem to impact your family and how you interact with NPCs.

The user interface:
I can't stress how much I dislike the interface. It's a MAJOR step back over the Dragon Age: Origins interface. The PC version of the interface merges the DA:O interface with the Mass Effect 2 interface, and with mixed results. On one hand, it lets you deal with the faster paced action a bit easier. Skills, mana potions, health potions, and character selection icons are all relatively close together. So you can quickly click on them without needing to pause.

However, at the same time, the dialog boxes that popped up over everything in the first game have been replaced with the full screen Mass Effect 2-style character management interface. That is, you can't easily switch between your character record, inventory, etc. with the click of a button. You have to close whatever screen you currently have open and then click another button. This wouldn't be an issue if they gave you access to all of these buttons on each character management screen or if the hotkeys for those buttons worked from there. But they don't. This might work ok on a console, but on the PC version it's really irritating.

Bland color palette: This is one incredibly dreary looking game. At least so far, the game is loaded with lots of shades of brown. Dark brown, light brown, reddish brown, gray brown -- you name it. If it's a shade of brown, it's probably in the game somewhere.

Very linear: The demo is incredibly linear. You fight a short battle, which is followed up by a short cutscene, followed by a little bit of running, another cutscene, a battle, etc. It isn't exactly the most exciting introduction to the Dragon Age universe. Hopefully the demo opens up a little bit before I finish it. If not, I don't expect it to get too much more exciting.

Locked interface: Many interface options are completely locked in the demo. You can pick up items from fallen enemies but you can't access your inventory to equip them. Many of the class specializations and skills are locked as well.

No more tactical camera: Yup, the Baldur's Gate style tactical camera is gone in Dragon Age II. I'm rather disappointed with this since that's the way I played almost all of the original game. The camera can be tilted to sort of emulate that perspective, but it doesn't give you a tactical advantage. Quite the opposite in fact.

Conclusion:
I already pre-ordered the game on Steam about a week after it was made available. Therefore, I'm kind of stuck with it and will definitely be playing it, regardless of my current thoughts on the demo. Right now it looks like it's going to be a fun game. But I'm not entirely sure if it should really be called a sequel to Dragon Age: Origins. Much of what I loved about the first game has been stripped away and replaced with Mass Effect 2 and console equivalents. This is a double-edged sword. I loved the faster paced combat in Mass Effect 2 but I really didn't like the user interface in that.

The tactical combat of Origins seems to be intact despite the faster pace too. But it's very clear that the PC version is a console port, whereas Dragon Age: Origins was clearly a PC game that was ported to consoles. This may seem trivial to those that played the console version,  but it's a pretty big deal when playing it on PC. The PC version of Origins had a very distinct feel to it. It really felt like the spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series. That's completely gone in DA2. Now it feels like yet another action RPG console port but set in the Dragon Age universe. That's really disappointing to me.

Basically, Dragon Age II is looking like what you'd get if Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins had a baby. It takes traits from both parents, with certain traits becoming the dominate traits. The result is interesting and it's definitely entertaining. But the jury is still out on whether this is a step in the right direction for the series.

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 February 2011 - 03:43 AM.
It helps to complete sentences!

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

^ I think some of the color palette blandness you're noticing might be because the screenshots of the Demo I saw seem to be taking place in the middle of a wasteland. To me, the colors used on the characters and their clothes/armor seemed unusually bright, less realistic than Dragon Age. I see despite all the hype about the improved graphics engine, the graphics are lackluster to downright ugly. Is there a single decent screenshot that the marketers managed to find to post on the game's site? I mean graphics aren't everything, but what I've seen just looks drab and icky. The original Dragon Age at least had very good art design to compensate for the graphics engine. Plus, from what I've heard, the characters and story aren't as compelling this time around. If the characters and story were there, I could get past the bad graphics and art design.

Edited by Palisade, 24 February 2011 - 09:39 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

I'm actually curious about Mage on DA2. Is the main character an apostate, then (if you choose Hawke to be a mage of course)?
Rejected and gone.

#4 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

View PostPalisade, on 24 February 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

^ I think some of the color palette blandness you're noticing might be because the screenshots of the Demo I saw seem to be taking place in the middle of a wasteland. To me, the colors used on the characters and their clothes/armor seemed unusually bright, less realistic than Dragon Age. I see despite all the hype about the improved graphics engine, the graphics are lackluster to downright ugly. Is there a single decent screenshot that the marketers managed to find to post on the game's site? I mean graphics aren't everything, but what I've seen just looks drab and icky. The original Dragon Age at least had very good art design to compensate for the graphics engine.
I agree that the art design doesn't seem to be nearly as good this time around. Armor has a very fake look to it. It doesn't shine in sunlight and the colors are definitely a bit off. I prefer the more realistic look to clothing and armor in Origins. Despite the demo taking place in the wasteland around Lothering, the textures for the environment seem to lack detail. It's like you're running around in a world made out of clay. And that's with all of the graphics settings set to maximum. Character models have definitely been improved, however. The environment is a step backward (so far).

Plus, from what I've heard, the characters and story aren't as compelling this time around. If the characters and story were there, I could get past the bad graphics and art design.
So far, the characters are just as bland as the terrain. And the story just consists of you and your family running from a burning Lothering. Every 50 to 100 feet you encounter more darkspawn or there's a short cutscene. It's very repetitive. Of course, this doesn't necessarily reflect the full game. But it isn't a very good introduction. If I hadn't already pre-ordered the game, this demo wouldn't convince me to buy it.

View PostMikoto, on 24 February 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

I'm actually curious about Mage on DA2. Is the main character an apostate, then (if you choose Hawke to be a mage of course)?
Indeed he/she is! In fact, in the first 15-20 minutes of the demo, you encounter two templars (a husband and wife) and their first reaction is that you're an apostate and that mages need to be controlled. Your sister Bethany is one as well. So the alliance is a little shaky. At least that's the impression you're given anyway. I think they'll always join you.

Speaking of characters, so far I've found the NPCs that can join your party to be very dull and uninteresting. None of them really have much of a personality. I find myself wishing Morrigan and Alistair could join me once again. I'd take Leliana's obsession with shoes and sexy accent over the blandness of the characters introduced so far. The characters in the first game were quirky, had interesting personalities, and were voiced by some fantastic actors. The characters in DA2 don't seem to have any of these traits so far. They're just generic templars, mages, etc. The game seems far more concerned with telling a "cinematic story" and with combat than with giving the characters a personality.

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 February 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

I've played the 360 demo, as a mage, because I loves me some mages, and yes you do play an apostate. The characters you meet while fleeing from Lothering actually cause a tense little moment.

NC, with regards to your 'con' list, I think many of them are due to the limited nature of a demo. In the main game you'll obviously be able to customize the looks and the like, and it's obvious they skipped a HUGE amount of RP'ing to go from the final battle while escaping Lothering to suddenly you're helping this strange woman nail a slaver to the wall.

One thing I've found playing demo's (particularly pronounced in the Arkham Asylum demo, and I think it has happened here too) is that they are overly focussed on demonstrating the combat, versus showing off the entire game.

Having said all that I really enjoyed the Demo. Yes it's more action oriented, but then I found on the 360 at least, that combat in DAO was very clunky. This felt far more visceral and exciting.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 24 February 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

Speaking of characters, so far I've found the NPCs that can join your party to be very dull and uninteresting. None of them really have much of a personality. I find myself wishing Morrigan and Alistair could join me once again. I'd take Leliana's obsession with shoes and sexy accent over the blandness of the characters introduced so far. The characters in the first game were quirky, had interesting personalities, and were voiced by some fantastic actors. The characters in DA2 don't seem to have any of these traits so far. They're just generic templars, mages, etc. The game seems far more concerned with telling a "cinematic story" and with combat than with giving the characters a personality.

This is an issue that I desperately hope is just an issue of the demo, and not of the game itself. Keep in mind that a demo is not the full game, there may be much more to the escape from Lothering, and the relationship between the siblings than we've seen.

And I agree about DAO, the characters were what sold it for me in the first game for exactly the reasons you said. Like you I've preordered the game for the Xbox, but unlike you I would have probably bought it eventually on the back of the demo. But then while I really enjoyed DAO, I never felt it quite hit that level of 'greatness' it was aiming for (and yes I know I'm in the minority in that view)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

View PostGodeskian, on 24 February 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

I've played the 360 demo, as a mage, because I loves me some mages, and yes you do play an apostate. The characters you meet while fleeing from Lothering actually cause a tense little moment.

NC, with regards to your 'con' list, I think many of them are due to the limited nature of a demo. In the main game you'll obviously be able to customize the looks and the like, and it's obvious they skipped a HUGE amount of RP'ing to go from the final battle while escaping Lothering to suddenly you're helping this strange woman nail a slaver to the wall.
That's my hope as well, which is why I tried to emphasize that these are only my thoughts on the demo. Still, if they're trying to convince people to buy the game, I think I'd prefer that they'd just give all of the options available in the first hour or two of the full game. That way we'd be able to more accurately judge what the game will actually be like.

One thing I've found playing demo's (particularly pronounced in the Arkham Asylum demo, and I think it has happened here too) is that they are overly focussed on demonstrating the combat, versus showing off the entire game.

Having said all that I really enjoyed the Demo. Yes it's more action oriented, but then I found on the 360 at least, that combat in DAO was very clunky. This felt far more visceral and exciting.
Combat on the PC version of DA:O worked pretty well. I saw combat on the Xbox version and I agree that it was a bit clunky. It was obvious that the game was never originally designed to be played on a console. The PC interface is very easy to use and combat was just as easy to manage. Although I found the tactics options to be more annoying than helpful. So I shut them off entirely and manually issued orders. Maybe it's just because the battles aren't too difficult in the demo but I've found that the AI doesn't make me want to pull my hair out like in the first game.

View PostGodeskian, on 24 February 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

This is an issue that I desperately hope is just an issue of the demo, and not of the game itself. Keep in mind that a demo is not the full game, there may be much more to the escape from Lothering, and the relationship between the siblings than we've seen.
I really hope so too. The great characters in the first game really made what could have been a generic fantasy RPG into something special.

And I agree about DAO, the characters were what sold it for me in the first game for exactly the reasons you said. Like you I've preordered the game for the Xbox, but unlike you I would have probably bought it eventually on the back of the demo. But then while I really enjoyed DAO, I never felt it quite hit that level of 'greatness' it was aiming for (and yes I know I'm in the minority in that view)
As far as the story goes for DA:O, I definitely agree. The main story wasn't nearly as good as many reviewers seemed to think it was. It was clear that it wanted to be more but never quite made it there. What was great about the first game was that the side stories were often very effective and presented lots of difficult choices and brutal consequences that branched out differently based on your origin/class. Instead of just recruiting NPCs, doing a generic loyalty mission, and then forever earning their trust, DA:O introduced characters in fairly interesting ways and the quests surrounding each of them told their own story, which often fit into the larger picture in some way. The main story was predictable and uninteresting (Lord of the Rings meets Star Wars). But a lot of work clearly went into the side quests.

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 24 February 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

Still, if they're trying to convince people to buy the game, I think I'd prefer that they'd just give all of the options available in the first hour or two of the full game. That way we'd be able to more accurately judge what the game will actually be like.

Ah but then you've gone and crossed from demo to playable free prologue, and I can't think of a single game in the history of ever that has done that.

The PC interface is very easy to use and combat was just as easy to manage.
Fair enough, it was after all originally conceived for the PC.

As far as the story goes for DA:O, I definitely agree. The main story wasn't nearly as good as many reviewers seemed to think it was. It was clear that it wanted to be more but never quite made it there. What was great about the first game was that the side stories were often very effective and presented lots of difficult choices and brutal consequences that branched out differently based on your origin/class.

Yup, the multiple origins really made the game world feel more dynamic.

Defy Gravity!

#9 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 24 February 2011 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostMikoto, on 24 February 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Indeed he/she is! In fact, in the first 15-20 minutes of the demo, you encounter two templars (a husband and wife) and their first reaction is that you're an apostate and that mages need to be controlled. Your sister Bethany is one as well. So the alliance is a little shaky. At least that's the impression you're given anyway. I think they'll always join you.

Many thanks NC. I've always found the stigma and the way Mages are treated interesting. My 'canon' Warden in DAO is a mage and I was thinking of trying it here myself.

Spoiler

Rejected and gone.

#10 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

View PostGodeskian, on 24 February 2011 - 03:45 PM, said:

Ah but then you've gone and crossed from demo to playable free prologue, and I can't think of a single game in the history of ever that has done that.
I've played demos that do exactly that. They may not give everything that's available in the full version of the game and your character selection may be limited. But story-wise and gameplay-wise the demos were pretty much identical to the finished game. Of course, I can't think of an example off the top of my head. :rolleyes: :lol:

Fair enough, it was after all originally conceived for the PC.
I think that's part of the reason why DA2 is so jarring to me (aside from the obvious gameplay changes). The series went from being a PC title that was ported to consoles to being the exact opposite. And while I don't have an issue with most console games, it really shows. It'd be like if Valve, after years of dedicated PC support, were to suddenly make Half-Life 3 for consoles and then halfheartedly port it to PC. It's a good way to alienate your fanbase. I'm not saying BioWare is doing that here (I want to play the full game first) but the change in focus is very noticeable.

View PostMikoto, on 24 February 2011 - 04:13 PM, said:

Many thanks NC. I've always found the stigma and the way Mages are treated interesting. My 'canon' Warden in DAO is a mage and I was thinking of trying it here myself.

Spoiler
No problem! :D I agree too. I really like how the DA universe approaches mages. My main character in DA:O was also a mage. Naturally, Hawke is a mage in my demo save! ;) One thing I like about DA2 over DA:O is that mages have much more powerful attacks. When attacking, they fire off small fireballs, hit melee range enemies with a spear-like attachment on their staff, and do other fancy combo moves. When finishing off enemies, a small wall of fire shoots out from the mage's location and appears to injure anyone in the way.

If DA:O was inspired by D&D in its play style, I think DA2 has more in common with Diablo only with the tactical options found in DA:O. That isn't to say the combat is hack and slash like in Diablo. It isn't. It's still tactical. But the fast paced action reminds me a lot of games like that.

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 February 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#11 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Like you to, my canon DAO character was a mage (a female ironically enough). I am really looking forward to the RP aspect of DAO 2

Defy Gravity!

#12 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Just played the demo on the 360 and now I can't wait for the game. I see they still prefer the "always splattered in blood" look, which I still find...annoying? distasteful? unattractive? Hmm, I just don't like having flirty conversations with a women who is in desperate need of a shower, with no Mabari war hound in sight.

My first thought was: Holy cow, I feel really cool in combat. I played as a rogue and I enjoyed it a lot more than I did in DAO. Combat feels quick and interesting, and hopefully I won't have to play babysitter too often to my party members.

I'm grateful for the new conversation system. Yes, it is ripped right out of ME, but ya know what? it works. I mean, it's a great system, so I see no problem with Bioware using it again here. They even improved on it in a great way.

Also, there was a bit of a plot letdown:
Spoiler

My last thought was: OMGWTF FLEMTH!! :drool: I'll do anything you say, just keep talking...
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#13 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

Really? That was a mild complaint I had about DAO- for someone from a group so powerful you have to be locked away from the world in a tower, I always felt a mage in combat never really lived up to that reputation. But if that's been corrected in DA:2 I'm becoming more and more sold toward mage.

I played through the game as several types of Warden in DAO. My 'canon' Warden is a human female mage. I've also played as a female Cousland warrior, a female city elf rogue, and I'm currently working on dwarf noble male warrior to see the game from a male perspective.
Rejected and gone.

#14 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

The conversation system isn't bad. I just don't like how I never know exactly what my character is going to say. If I'm going to be role-playing, I like having several different options and I like to know what I'm going to be saying. I don't like surprises when choosing dialogue.

The 3 possible answers works well for Mass Effect, but Dragon Age: Origins had a system that worked well. Just because something works well in one game it doesn't mean it should be included in all of them. To me it's a case of fixing something that wasn't broken.

Anyway, I finished the demo. Considering that it's 2 GB in size, it was awfully short. Unfortunately, I don't think it really improves visually even after it jumps ahead in the storyline. The game doesn't look bad but it doesn't exactly look great either. There are some major performance enhancements that were clearly made to the engine and using DirectX 11 no doubt helps the visual side of things too. But the art design isn't nearly as good as in DA:O. The demo is dark and dreary throughout, and their overuse of various shades of brown continues through the whole thing.

I was rather disappointed that Bethany died and the dreadfully bland Carver managed to survive. It would have been nice to see more of the family dynamic too. But they throw the family away so quickly that it's difficult to connect with any of them. It's the kind of plot twist that should come after hours of playing if they wanted it to have a bigger impact.

It'll be interesting to see what the full game is like. At the very least combat is fun. I'm just not sold on everything else yet.

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 February 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#15 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

View PostMikoto, on 24 February 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

Really? That was a mild complaint I had about DAO- for someone from a group so powerful you have to be locked away from the world in a tower, I always felt a mage in combat never really lived up to that reputation. But if that's been corrected in DA:2 I'm becoming more and more sold toward mage.

I played through the game as several types of Warden in DAO. My 'canon' Warden is a human female mage. I've also played as a female Cousland warrior, a female city elf rogue, and I'm currently working on dwarf noble male warrior to see the game from a male perspective.
I feel much more powerful as a mage in DA2 as well. The first game definitely had more of a D&D approach to mages. That is, you could really dish out high damage spells one after another but you couldn't take much damage in combat. And your regular attacks were weak at best.

After beating the demo, I can safely say that DA2 has more of a Diablo approach. They want you to not only be powerful, but they want you to feel powerful. Even your regular attacks deal a lot of damage. That's one area where they've definitely succeeded. As a mage I really feel like a force to be reckoned with, and the demo doesn't show you anything beyond level 6.

Edited by NeuralClone, 24 February 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#16 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 24 February 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

The conversation system isn't bad. I just don't like how I never know exactly what my character is going to say. If I'm going to be role-playing, I like having several different options and I like to know what I'm going to be saying. I don't like surprises when choosing dialogue.

The 3 possible answers works well for Mass Effect, but Dragon Age: Origins had a system that worked well. Just because something works well in one game it doesn't mean it should be included in all of them. To me it's a case of fixing something that wasn't broken.

(snip!)

I was rather disappointed that Bethany died and the dreadfully bland Carver managed to survive. It would have been nice to see more of the family dynamic too. But they throw the family away so quickly that it's difficult to connect with any of them. It's the kind of plot twist that should come after hours of playing if they wanted it to have a bigger impact.

It'll be interesting to see what the full game is like. At the very least combat is fun. I'm just not sold on everything else yet.
Hm, personally I always thought the conversations in DAO felt kinda clunky, ya know? I preferred ME more stream-lined approach, but to each his own I guess, right?

And your Bethany died? In my game, it was Carver who bit it, anticlimactically as I said in my post, while Bethany and I lived to fight another day. Were you playing as a male?
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#17 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

View PostThia The Muse, on 24 February 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Hm, personally I always thought the conversations in DAO felt kinda clunky, ya know? I preferred ME more stream-lined approach, but to each his own I guess, right?
I guess I have more of an old school mindset when it comes to these things. I prefer the dialogue systems found in games like Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, etc. So to me it isn't clunky. It's business as usual. Most of the RPGs I've played over the years used a similar approach to conversations. The new(ish) system (to DA2 anyway) is definitely stream-lined, but I think it also takes away a vital part of the role-playing experience.

And your Bethany died? In my game, it was Carver who bit it, anticlimactically as I said in my post, while Bethany and I lived to fight another day. Were you playing as a male?
Yeah, Bethany died in my game. She gets crushed into the ground repeatedly during the big troll fight. And I agree. It was very anti-climatic. It came out of nowhere and felt completely unnecessary to me. It also would have had more of an impact if she had been in my party for more than 5-10 minutes.

I played as a male through the demo but if Bethany lives and Carver dies if you play as a female character, I think I'll probably do that in the full game just so I can avoid Carver. So. Dull! At least Bethany seems to have a personality.

Edited by NeuralClone, 25 February 2011 - 01:43 AM.

#18 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:58 AM

Played the demo last night.

Thought it fixed everything I didn't like about DAO, with some exceptions.

The text size seems to have been made even smaller. After all the complaints about the text size in DAO and ME2, you would think they'd have addressed such a thing. But no, it was even smaller on my screen, which is going to make this a pain in the ass to play the full version.
Posted Image

#19 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

Without an HDTV, I can see how the text issue would be really, really annoying. I don't have a console but I've experienced something similar with Blu-ray discs. My Blu-ray player arrived before my HDTV so I was able to try it out on my old CRT. And the text was so tiny that it was pretty much impossible for me to make out without really concentrating on it. It was especially bad on menus. Definitely a major downside of HD content on non-HD displays.

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:05 AM

View PostNeuralClone, on 24 February 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

I played as a male through the demo but if Bethany lives and Carver dies if you play as a female character, I think I'll probably do that in the full game just so I can avoid Carver. So. Dull! At least Bethany seems to have a personality.

Ah, but I played as a female and Bethany still died. I assumed it was because we were both mages actually and the game will always try and balance a combat character with a mage and a mage with a combat character.

Defy Gravity!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dragon Age

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users