Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Dragon Age II (full version)

Dragon Age

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

That sucks Mikoto :(
Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#42 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

Sorry, double posted for some reason.

So, am i right in thinking that you cant change the armour of your party members? Cause all the stuff in the shops seems to be 'restricted: Hawke'

Edited by Hawkeye, 11 March 2011 - 11:32 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#43 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

View PostHawkeye, on 11 March 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

Sorry, double posted for some reason.

So, am i right in thinking that you cant change the armour of your party members? Cause all the stuff in the shops seems to be 'restricted: Hawke'
That's correct. You also can't change the weapons of some characters (e.g., Varric). You can occasionally buy armor upgrades for party members but I'm 20 hours in and I've only found one such upgrade. All of the armor you find is mostly worthless since only Hawke can wear it. It's a completely nonsensical system. You find tons of armor but you just end up having to sell most of it.

I have over 50 gold and can't buy anything remotely useful. Most of my money goes toward buying as many potions as I can for when I randomly run in and kill stuff. Or rather, when enemies keep magically appearing in front of you, behind you, and right on top of you. Even the Diablo games have more satisfying combat than this. I don't know how tactical combat "evolved" into "run in aimlessly and start spamming skills as fast as you can." In many cases you can just let your party fight for you. It practically plays itself.

Quest rewards are equally unrewarding too. Usually you just get gold or useless junk which just gets sold for more gold so you can buy more potions or armor you can't use. There have been multiple quests where I've been given an "extremely rare and valuable" book or weapon only to find out it's useless junk that's worth 50 silver or less or is nothing more than starter equipment.

Edited by NeuralClone, 11 March 2011 - 01:00 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#44 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostNiko, on 11 March 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

...  fight large mobs of enemies that continue to spawn in for an unknown period of time
This is the most off-putting for me.  I'm still early in, but it's so irritating that ever fight is "run ahead and kill some things, then turn around and fight some things that magically appeared behind you, and then turn *back* around and fight more things that appeared in the other direction."   One of the things I came to like about Mass Effect was how, even though I suck at "real-time" combat, I could use the environment (taking cover behind barriers, etc.) and choose companions whose skills gave me some control over the pace of things.   This style of just getting randomly mobbed doesn't seem to reward anything except wading in and flailing around.

(Josh, if you decide to replay Planescape, do a thread about it.  I've been looking for a reason to replay that one, myself.  I don't think I ever actually finished it the first time around.)
Yup, that about sums things up. :(

View PostMikoto, on 11 March 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

Its almost 4pm and I'm still waiting for my copy of DA:2 to be delivered. Looks like I won't get it today. And tomorrow I got work all afternoon/evening so even if it comes tomorrow I won't be able to play until gone midnight. (UK time.)

That's IF it comes tomorrow. Proably be monday before I get it by now.
Well that just sucks. :(

#45 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

Whats currently most frustrating for me is I run into a big battle only to find my mages seem to have developed the ability to make everyone explode, then when i do get a chance to attack someone my attacks seem to do very little.

Posted Image

#46 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

Wow...

http://www.pcgamer.c...o-the-ea-devil/

The ban on the forum definitely makes sense (sort of) but in DA2 as well? Um, huh? It isn't like this person stole the game or cheated somehow. It doesn't even have multiplayer. They paid for it and now they're locked out because of a nasty but non-threatening post on the forum? Nice. And asking if BioWare "sold [their] soul to the EA devil" is a violation of EA's terms of use? Good grief, I wonder what they'd do if they actually got some real criticism?

View PostHawkeye, on 11 March 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

Whats currently most frustrating for me is I run into a big battle only to find my mages seem to have developed the ability to make everyone explode, then when i do get a chance to attack someone my attacks seem to do very little.
Really? I'm not sure if I've ever really had that problem. I'll have to check it out though.

Edited by NeuralClone, 11 March 2011 - 04:26 PM.

#47 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

Well..... my copy of the game was *finally* delivered.

I've played for about 4-5 hours now and I'm still absorbing my impressions of the game. Its not what I quite expected. The story meanders a lot. Its surprisingly difficult to make 50 gold to advance the storyline a bit. The quests can be long and often difficult for only a few silvers of reward.

I'm doing a lot of running around and questing for precious little reward so far. But I'm enjoying it so far insofar as it goes. The negative reviews weren't wrong. It seems like a pretty shallow game both storywise and combat wise.

More to come once I've thought a bit more.
Rejected and gone.

#48 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

Yay! Glad you finally got it! :D

View PostMikoto, on 11 March 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

Its surprisingly difficult to make 50 gold to advance the storyline a bit.
Minor plot spoilers follow:
Spoiler

Edited by NeuralClone, 11 March 2011 - 04:37 PM.

#49 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, the armour in this game is annoying me now...

ETA: Although, I'd hate to lose some of the outfits that the characters start with....

Edited by Hawkeye, 11 March 2011 - 05:09 PM.

Posted Image

#50 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

For the most part, it doesn't look like most of the outfits really change that much. There are a few exceptions to that due to plot developments, but Isabela's "upgraded" armor, for example, in act 2 looks exactly as it did in act 1. It just has higher armor stats. There are only 2 characters I can think of at the moment that end up with significantly different outfits, both of which are vast improvements, IMO.

#51 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

I honestly can't decide my opinion on this game. It's not as good as DA:O although honestly I prefer the combat this time around, and it looks amazing. But I was expecting *some* kind of plot to start around now. I mean, people complain that Mass Effect 2 had no plot, but at least there was an objective that the whole game was working towards. I've been running around doing quests to get this 50 Gold, it's taken a while and I'm still not sure what the overall point of the game is, beyond this 50 gold thing.

Posted Image

#52 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

NC, can you name that quest in spoiler tags please?
Rejected and gone.

#53 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

Sure. The quest that does what I mentioned is called "Friends in Low Places." It only showed up as an option when
Spoiler

Edited by NeuralClone, 11 March 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#54 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

View PostHawkeye, on 11 March 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

I honestly can't decide my opinion on this game. It's not as good as DA:O although honestly I prefer the combat this time around, and it looks amazing. But I was expecting *some* kind of plot to start around now. I mean, people complain that Mass Effect 2 had no plot, but at least there was an objective that the whole game was working towards. I've been running around doing quests to get this 50 Gold, it's taken a while and I'm still not sure what the overall point of the game is, beyond this 50 gold thing.

My problem is that I could care less about collecting all of this money. The quests are cookie-cutter, the rewards are few and you have to do a whole bunch of them. Where's the story? Where's the motivation? It's a giant bore.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#55 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

I'm like 15 hours in and still doing quests in Kirkwall. I have all the money I need, but I wanted to finish off the quests. I'm enjoying having Isabela in my party, along with My sister. They just finished talking about some dirty book Isabella has ^^

ETA: GODAMNIT. All that work to get the money to go to the deep roads, and the deep roads quest lasts 5 minutes? Ugh.

Edited by Hawkeye, 12 March 2011 - 09:31 AM.

Posted Image

#56 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

Since I'm sick I decided to spend the day playing DA2, and I have to admit my feelings tally well with most of the ones here.

The quests were fun at first, and when you're actually doing story stuff it's generally good, but I'd be just as happy if the combat sections were half the size. I spend most of my spare cash buying equipment upgrades that seem pretty marginal to be honest, but then I was able to put togethe over 97 gold before going into the deep roads.

P.S., that spoiler boss, sucks the first two times I played him I got my ass handed to me.

And I have to admit, I'm not impressed by the mage in terms of damage ability. Either I'm not playing her right, or she just isn't as devastatingly powerful as she was in DA1.

I'll finish the game, probably pick up all the achievements, and then I'm heaving it to the side. It's just not a very engaging game most of the time to play. I love the story mind you, it feels like a rise to power story (sort of, the female VO for Hawke is well, i'm just not impressed)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#57 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

View PostHawkeye, on 12 March 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

ETA: GODAMNIT. All that work to get the money to go to the deep roads, and the deep roads quest lasts 5 minutes? Ugh.

Am I the only one who cheered when I didn't spend three freaking days in deep roads the way you did in DA1? I mean I honestly, truly loathed the deep roads section in the first game.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#58 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

*shrugs* I was just expecting the deep roads to be the next section of the game, not another quick side quest. Since it took so long to save up the money to do it, I just expected it to be longer.

I'm still trying to work out what the plot is, especially now I've apparently made a name for myself.

Posted Image

#59 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

View PostHawkeye, on 12 March 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

*shrugs* I was just expecting the deep roads to be the next section of the game, not another quick side quest. Since it took so long to save up the money to do it, I just expected it to be longer.

I'm still trying to work out what the plot is, especially now I've apparently made a name for myself.

I think the plot, insofar there IS a main plot is 'go from refugee to noble, from noble to owner of the city, from owner of the city to ruling the free marches'

At least that's my guess.

Defy Gravity!

#60 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Jesus. And they say Mass Effect 2 had no plot.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dragon Age

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users