• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:02 AM

Explosion rocks U.N. headquarters in Baghdad

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- An apparent car bombing ripped through the U.N. headquarters at the Canal Hotel in Baghdad on Tuesday, injuring an unknown number of people, U.N. officials told CNN.

Among the casualties was Sergio Vieira de Mello, the U.N. secretary-general's special representative to Iraq, U.N. spokesman Fred Eckhard said. "He has been injured, but we're not certain how badly. He appears to be conscious; they are giving him water."

CNN Correspondent Jane Arraf said security at the hotel had been beefed up considerably but it was still, as a U.N. facility, a softer target than a U.S. military installation.

The United Nations has long performed many roles in the Iraq along with weapons inspection -- such as humanitarian, development and refugee programs.

The building was evacuated and a CNN cameraman said flames and smoke were rising as medical helicopters hovered overhead. Windows reportedly were shattered as far as a kilometer away.

CNN's Duraid Isa said from the scene: "There's a lot of destruction to the facade of the building and a lot of U.S. military are around. They are cordoning off the area."

Sigh. I sure wish they'd stop blowing stuff up and hurting people. Don't they realize the more stuff blows up the longer all the outsiders will remain?

'shana

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 02 September 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:25 AM

This is just about the last thing anyone needs in Iraq right now.

:(
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#3 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:47 AM

Further evidence for the first law of terrorism: all terrorists are MORONS!  Muslim terrorists attack the WTC, in total contravention of their own religion, and what do we do?  We topple two authoritarian Muslim governments!  Couldn't'a seen THAT coming!  Now others go and blow up the headquarters of the group that refused to attack them?  Frelling BRILLIANT!

#4 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 10:18 AM

Omega, on Aug 19 2003, 05:47 PM, said:

Further evidence for the first law of terrorism: all terrorists are MORONS!

First law of fighting terrorism: Never underestimate your enemies. How about learning THAT from 9/11?  We'd like to think they're all stupid, but terrorism, in the long run, works. And gets the attention the world is not giving to conflicts unless it's forced.

Now others go and blow up the headquarters of the group that refused to attack them?  Frelling BRILLIANT!
It's international, it's being used by the US as an excuse for being there and it's probably not guarded as well as American targets. More than that, maybe they think it's more effective to hit a target that has multinational population than American target, they need the world to pressure the US to get out of Iraq.

Or maybe they did learn the lesson, so they don't attack an American target, assuming the Europeans won't retaliate.
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#5 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 10:44 AM

CNN report: 13 dead, dozens injured, many may still be trapped in the building :(

#6 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:10 PM

We'd like to think they're all stupid, but terrorism, in the long run, works.

Could'a fooled me.  All it's done so far is destroy those who practice it.  Notice I didn't say terrorists should be trifled with, I just said they were stupid.  Even idiots can be dangerous if they're angry and have big bombs.  These people either don't understand their goals very well, or are too short-sighted and stupid to see that they're not actually accomplishing these goals by blowing crap up.

More than that, maybe they think it's more effective to hit a target that has multinational population than American target, they need the world to pressure the US to get out of Iraq.

Blow up citizens of other countries to make them angry at us?  You're right, they may be thinking that, and sadly enough that part might actually work given the state of many countries today, irrational as the concept may be.  But it's still stupid, because as we showed by invading Iraq in the first place, international pressure doesn't really affect us that much. :)

#7 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:38 PM

^ You're viewing it through the lens of the terrorist as misguided individual. That somehow they're not achieving anything because you're not getting their message.

But these terrorist organizations go a lot deeper and reach a lot higher than you're giving them credit for. They might not be making their footprint in your backyard. But in Enmar's, you'd better believe it's a different story.

I agree with her completely, I might add. Never underestimate the power of a determined group of individuals with heavy weapons to change the course of history. So far this century, it's the only thing that has.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  

#8 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:47 PM

Number's upgraded to fifteen dead as of thirty minutes past this hour, according to the BBC.

EDIT to add that UN special envoy Sergio Vieira de Mello is reported among the dead. de Mello was the special representative of the United Nations in Iraq, and previously serves as UN Human Rights Commissioner. He was earlier reported to have been wounded in the attack (which happened apparently right below his office). It appears those wounds have proven fatal.

Link here is to a photo gallery at the BBC of the UN HQ after the blast.

It's a sad day in Baghdad.

:desperate:

Edited by the 'Hawk, 19 August 2003 - 12:50 PM.

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:53 PM

Apparently some of it got caught on tape.

This is just so sad and awful!  :glare:
Posted Image

#10 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:53 PM

There are suggestions on the BBC that this wasn't, in fact, the work of a terrorist organization, but of an Iraqi resistance group devoted to removing all foreign rule from the country.

Article here- money quote:

many governments (India was an important recent example) will not send troops to help in peacekeeping in Iraq without a UN mandate.

But if the resistance is now targeting the UN itself, then those countries will be reluctant to help even with a mandate.

The United Nations was seen by many as the solution to the present crisis.

This attack may force them to think again.

#11 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 19 2003, 01:53 PM, said:

Apparently some of it got caught on tape.
There was a press conference going on in the building at the time. The tape showed the official at the podium discussing how something had been "reduced by eighty per----" then the screen went black. People began screaming, crying, and someone yelled, "STAY WHERE YOU ARE!" When the picture returned, it looked like something out of 9/11-- dishevelled people coated in concrete dust, milling about in a frenzy, attempting to evacuate, as the camera passed by the faces of the bleeding, the wounded, in the stairwell. Finally someone screamed, "shut off that g*dd*mn camera!" and the tape ended.

It was on the BBC and CNN earlier. Needless to say, it's not something I'd recommend for viewing.

No word yet as to whether the bombing was timed to coincide with said briefing or not-- but I'd bet it's not a coincidence in the slightest sense.

#12 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:11 PM

That video I mentioned before is available from the BBC through RealPlayer format here. I don't know if it'll work for everyone, but I link anyway.

Excerpts from the President's statement (I can't find a full transcript of his remarks available yet) can be found here. The number's also been revised upwards again, to twenty dead, and scores more injured.

In other news, there's also been a bus blast in Israel. At least five people are reported dead so far. Story here. Expect it to be updated as details come in from Jerusalem.

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:42 PM

Some reports are indicating that thios wasn’t a car bomb but may have been a cement truck full of explosives.  Apparently the building had a near 4 meter barrier wall around it

Enmar: Or maybe they did learn the lesson, so they don't attack an American target, assuming the Europeans won't retaliate.

It would not surprise me if we see a wave of attacks against European and Canadian targets.  They are now relatively soft targets compared to the United States and it’s foreign interests. The situation in Iraq could very well give terrorists the impression that these countries are soft on terrorism and will roll over if attacked.    

In addition this could be a sign that US troops are becoming harder targets to hit in Iraq with high profile suicide bomber attacks. We could be seeing a shift in the warfare toward one aimed at hitting soft targets like the UN and NGOs.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#14 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 08:13 AM

Pentagon: Possible al Qaeda link in Baghdad blast

Pentagon officials said Wednesday that a terror group linked to al Qaeda is emerging as a top suspect in the deadly blast at U.N. headquarters in Baghdad.

An official told CNN that intelligence reports in the past two weeks indicated Ansar al-Islam might be planning a major attack in Iraq, and a top U.S. official in the country also said he suspects the group could have launched Tuesday's strike that killed at least 17 people.

UN Blunder of the Week: Asked about a report that the United Nations in Baghdad declined an offer of increased security from U.S.-led coalition forces, Annan said that even if it were the case U.N. personnel should not have been allowed to do so.

"First of all, I was surprised that we would turn down such an offer. And secondly, that kind of decision should not be left to the protected," he said. "It is those with the responsibility for security and law and order who have the intelligence which determines what action is taken."

Just great UN brilliance strikes again in timely fashion!  It doesn’t surprise me that the UN snuffed an offer by the US to provide security for it but talk about doing a stupid thing.  Do they think that their superior high-minded ideals and pedestal they set themselves on will protect them from terrorists?  Meanwhile people try to stack blame in the US Armed Forces for not providing security. :blink:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:01 PM

Agreed CJ. If the UN had taken us up on our offer of security, then we'd be at fault. In this case, it's unfair to blast America.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#16 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:54 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Aug 21 2003, 08:01 PM, said:

Agreed CJ. If the UN had taken us up on our offer of security, then we'd be at fault. In this case, it's unfair to blast America.
However I have already see UN Representatives criticizing the US for failing to protect them.  It shows just how out of touch with reality the blue hats/helmets at the UN are.  They expect the US to protect them but then objerct to us setting up proper perimeters and security forces to secure the site.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#17 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 06:47 AM

Woman Found Alive After Listed as Dead in UN Blast

A little piece of good news is still good news :)

#18 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 06:56 AM

With all the discussion about security here, we seem to be off the mark. This is much simpler: the people guarding the UN HQ used to be Iraqi secret service people that reported everything to Sadam. They were not replaced after the war, so Sadam's loyalists are still guarding the UN HQ.

How stupid are these people? :crazy:

"We believe the U.N.'s security was seriously compromised," the official told The Times. "We have serious concerns about the placement of the vehicle," a truck bomb, and the timing of the attack, he was quoted as saying.

The bomb exploded directly under the third-floor office of Sergio Vieira de Mello, the chief U.N. envoy in Iraq, who was killed in the attack along with at least 22 other people confirmed dead in the blast.

http://www.reuters.c...storyID=3319248

#19 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 09:41 AM

Enmar, on Aug 22 2003, 11:56 AM, said:

With all the discussion about security here, we seem to be off the mark. This is much simpler: the people guarding the UN HQ used to be Iraqi secret service people that reported everything to Sadam. They were not replaced after the war, so Sadam's loyalists are still guarding the UN HQ.
Sure there is no anti-US bias at the UN.  They only pick former Saddam loyalists to provide for their security rather than US troops.  I’m sure they can find some logical explanation on that one.  In the meantime I hear the US is planning to get rid of the Secret Service and contract out to Al-Queda to protect the president.

Enmar: How stupid are these people? :crazy:

The UN proves a simple formula.  There is no bottom for how low human stupidity can go but you can count the UN to be the vanguard in the search to find it.

Edited by CJ AEGIS, 22 August 2003 - 09:41 AM.

-Fleet Admiral Nimitz

#20 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:25 PM

Aid Agencies Retreat From Iraq

This is interesting:

In the wake of the bombing that killed 23 people at the United Nations Baghdad headquarters, some survivors are now accusing the U.N. of making them, in effect, sitting ducks.

Survivors of last Tuesday's attack confronted their bosses in a heated, closed-door meeting in Amman today.

Gotta love those "closed-door" meetings - everybody knows what happens in them :cool:

A source that attended said employees asked why the U.N. kept them in Baghdad prior to the suicide attack, even though the organization was already at a threat level of four.

By the U.N.'s own definition, a level four alert should have mandated the organization to suspend operations and evacuate its people.

Is it OK to quote myself when I have nothing new to say?

How stupid are these people?  :crazy:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: United Nations, Iraq

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users