Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

8.9 Magnitude earthquake hits Japan

Natrual Disasters Japan Earthquake 2011

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

I regret I have but one life to waste infront of videogames.

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

Looks like the earthquake hit a couple of hours ago and a big tsunami has already hit Japan, with warnings being issued for the US, Russia, Australia and other pacific countries.

Do we have any EI members living in Japan?

Edited by Hawkeye, 11 March 2011 - 03:29 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:48 AM

Just saw the video of the tsunami wave in Japan, as well as the various fires. My thoughts are with the victims of this Earthquake.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:39 AM

I don't know if we have any members in Japan but there is a Tsunami warning for New Zealand.... SparkyCola is there of course.  Be safe Sparky!

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

Yeah-I recently woke up, and as usual, I'm listening to NPR. I just caught this. :( There's been a lot of activity around the Pacific Ring of Fire this year!  :crazy:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

Japanese police just reported that they've found 2-300 bodies in Sendai, and that there's been an explosion in a petrochemical plant. On top of that, the cooling system failed on a nuclear power station, but as yet there's been no radioactive leak.

Edited by Hawkeye, 11 March 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits, and Are melted into air, into thin air; And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind.

Posted Image

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

My God...I just saw the video of a HUGE wave of water smashing through a town-carrying cars, trucks, houses, burning tanks...and I don't doubt dying or dead folks. :(

First, Christchurch New Zealand. Now this. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Follow the earthquake action from this link at the U.S Geological Survey.
Posted Image

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

More from this link on the major temblor:

Magnitude 8.9 - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2011 March 11 05:46:23 UTC
Versión en Español
DetailsSummaryMapsScientific & TechnicalTsunami Earthquake Details
This is a computer-generated message -- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 8.9
Date-Time Friday, March 11, 2011 at 05:46:23 UTC
Friday, March 11, 2011 at 02:46:23 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 38.322°N, 142.369°E
Depth 24.4 km (15.2 miles) set by location program
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 130 km (80 miles) E of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
178 km (110 miles) E of Yamagata, Honshu, Japan
178 km (110 miles) ENE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
373 km (231 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.5 km (8.4 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=350, Nph=351, Dmin=416.3 km, Rmss=1.46 sec, Gp= 29°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=A
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0001xgp

Summary:

Tectonic Summary
The 03/11/2011 earthquake (preliminary magnitude 8.9) near the east coast of Honshu, Japan, occurred as a result of thrust faulting on or near the subduction zone interface plate boundary between the Pacific and North America plates. At the latitude of this earthquake, the Pacific plate moves approximately westwards with respect to the North America plate at a velocity of 83 mm/yr. The Pacific plate thrusts underneath Japan at the Japan Trench, and dips to the west beneath Eurasia. The location, depth, and focal mechanism of the March 11 earthquake are consistent with the event having occurred as thrust faulting associated with subduction along this plate boundary. Note that some authors divide this region into several microplates that together define the relative motions between the larger Pacific, North America and Eurasia plates; these include the Okhotsk and Amur microplates that are respectively part of North America and Eurasia.

The March 11 earthquake was preceded by a series of large foreshocks over the previous two days, beginning on March 9th with an M 7.2 event approximately 40 km from the March 11 earthquake, and continuing with a further 3 earthquakes greater than M 6 on the same day.

The Japan Trench subduction zone has hosted 9 events of magnitude 7 or greater since 1973. The largest of these was an M 7.8 earthquake approximately 260 km to the north of the March 11 event, in December 1994, which caused 3 fatalities and almost 700 injuries. In June of 1978, an M 7.7 earthquake 35 km to the southwest caused 22 fatalities and over 400 injuries.

Posted Image

#9 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

I heard the report on NPR too, and was shaken by the graphic descriptions of so many places I've been, the crowds making it home without the trains.  I only scanned this article from military.com:

Troops React to Japan Quake, Tsunami

Yokota AB, Yokusaka NB, Okinawa.  Can't get past the shock.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

This looks awful. And I'm going to come right out and say it-from news reports, we might be looking at above 1,000 dead. :(
Posted Image

#11 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:52 AM

I'll be at the VA hospital today.  I guess I know what we'll be talking about in the halls and the waiting rooms.    :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:53 AM

This is being said to be the most powerful earthquake in Japan's history. If I'm correct, this temblor is similar in strength to the undersea temblor in 2004, which created tsunamis that killed a quarter of a million people. :(
Posted Image

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

I'm watching CNN. An idiot in Kamashi Japan is standing on some overpass while water carrying cars, trucks, boats and who knows what else is crashing into and under this overpass. The fool is just watching this happening. Yet another Darwin Award nominee.
Posted Image

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

There were large FORESHOCKS before this big quake. FORESHOCKS. Those are said by the CNN anchor chatting right now to be VERY rare, and are known to be a precursor to huge quakes.

:crazy:
Posted Image

#15 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

Apparently they're considering sending a US aircraft carrier to help with fire fighting/relief efforts...

Posted Image

#16 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 11 March 2011 - 06:13 AM, said:

Yeah-I recently woke up, and as usual, I'm listening to NPR. I just caught this. :( There's been a lot of activity around the Pacific Ring of Fire this year!  :crazy:

I was just thinking that about the Pacific Ring of Fire as I was listening this morning.  It has defintely been a busy active time.

Hawaii itself had it's own smaller earthquake this morning too.

The news said that airliners were being allowed to land at US bases  as the Tokyo airport is closed.

The stepson was there this past fall teaching English as a second language and I had forgot whether he was still there or not so I called his cell phone just to check and woke him up.  He's worried as he made friends over there.

Edited by Tricia, 11 March 2011 - 11:42 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#17 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

I just saw now on the evening news that they have lifted the Tsunami warning for NZ and taiwan but that a Tsunami wave has hit the US mainland... is this true?  Is everyone on the west coast ok?  What's going on?  

Yes AK the Ring of Fire has been quite active today.

#18 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

The noon...okay 11 am... news here said that nothing had happened on the West Coast ...yet but that they did not think it would be much given the distance.

Trying to remember what they said about Hawaii and how it was there when the wave hit but it sounded like it was not much.  Will listen for more.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#19 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Oregon coast is seeing swells of up to 7 1/2 feet above normal I guess. Local TV is all about the warnings as well as the earthquake itself.

#20 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Islander
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

There's been a 6.6 earthquake :

'It struck Japan's mountainous Niigata prefecture in the west of the main Honshu island at about 0400 Saturday (1900 GMT Friday)'

From the BBC's live coverage. So far, no reported damage and no Tsunami alert.

Edited by Hawkeye, 11 March 2011 - 02:25 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natrual Disasters, Japan Earthquake, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users