Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

CNN, Fox News or MSNBC

Media Cable News CNN Fox News MSNBC

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Which news network do you prefer? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Which news network do you prefer?

1. CNN (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. Fox News (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

3. MSNBC (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:34 PM

Just curious . . . besides, polls are fun!

-Nick

#2 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:39 PM

I have to null-vote, Nick. BBC, CBC, or turn off the TV for me.

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#3 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:39 PM

I voted CNN, although my true vote would be none of the above.  I get most of my news online, mostly from BBC.

We get the San Francisco Chronicle so I read that every morning, I am pretty satisfied with their news coverage.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#4 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:44 PM

Oooo . . . I actually like the BBC! but I haven't gotten BBC News since I lived at my parents and they had satellite.  I wish more American cable networks would carry it! (Occasoinally there's a local station that'll simulcast a few reports from them, but seldom happens)

-Nick

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:47 PM

How come no one put "Ex Isle OT Forum" as a choice? I null voted...

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

QueenTiye, on Aug 19 2003, 12:47 PM, said:

How come no one put "Ex Isle OT Forum" as a choice? I null voted...
Because it's a discussion forum (and many of the headlines here have come from one of the big news networks).  But I agree w/ you that ExIsle is a really great source for news and information.  OT has a really great habit of putting up "backpage" articles and stories that go unnoticed in the big media.  But I don't come here for the headlines, I come here for the commentary & intelligent discussion of issues.  ;)

-Nick

#7 Lina

Lina

This too shall pass

• Islander
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 01:13 PM

Another null vote here.

Lina

#8 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:10 PM

I don't watch any of the three, or any other major news sorce. Just don't believe them anymore. They are all to slanted one way or another. The BBC just seems to flat hate the USA, I wouldn't put a nickel on anything they said anymore.

They are calling local radio stations here, since the Sniper thing started, and the hosts of shows here are saying that all they want to talk about is Gun Control, like it would have made a difference in this case. I wont buy that, as we have one of the lowest crime rates in the country.

Edited by Kosh, 19 August 2003 - 04:50 PM.

Can't Touch This!!

#9 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:17 PM

Null vote. They all have their biases.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#10 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:48 PM

Null vote.

I watch the CBC ;)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#11 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 02:55 PM

Well, out of those listed I watch Fox News.

Normally I watch a variety of news channels. BBC, ITV, CCTV9, Fox, and Sky News
Rejected and gone.

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:09 PM

I don't really go to the TV for inrformation; I go for commentary.

As such, here's what I watch as often as I can:

-- No Spin Zone (O'Reilly, Fox News)
-- Scarborough Country (MSNBC)
-- Lou Dobbs (CNN)
-- Newshour (PBS)

I hate the hard news coverage of pretty much all TV. Paper media and blogs are the way to go.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#13 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:14 PM

CNN if I’m looking for quick on the second coverage of an event.  They just tend to be on the ball more than MSNBC for getting the news in quicker.  Their commentary well completely sucks but I can deal with it if it is a need the information this second situation.  Now Fox hasn’t started to give them serious competition in the speed category.  I like Fox for their center to right coverage.  At least they are unabashed about it unlike CNN who tries to claim impartiality.  And MSNBC frankly sucks in my opinion.

Other than that most of my news comes from various sources around the world online or from print sources.  I really havbe gotten into the USA Today as my morning paper.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#14 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:17 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Aug 19 2003, 08:09 PM, said:

Gah I can’t stand the quality of commentary on the Big Three news Networks. ;)  Fox is ok but often they are just as bad as the other two when it comes to areas like foreign relations and military matters.  I tend to look to them for the quick news breaks on events happening this second so then I know what to look for in my other sources as they play catch-up with better information.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:23 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Aug 19 2003, 01:14 PM, said:

I like Fox for their center to right coverage.  At least they are unabashed about it unlike CNN who tries to claim impartiality.  And MSNBC frankly sucks in my opinion.
Fox calls itself 'fair and balanced'. It's not. I don't think they're particularly upfront about their right wing bias. I don't think it's any more extreme, however, than the left-wing nature of political commentary on CNN or PBS.

Anyway, I don't like the level of commentary by *most* people.

O'Reilly is interesting, even though I agree with him only maybe 60% of the time. I think some of his arguments are simply idiotic, but I think he's fundamentally an honest guy.

Same for Scarbarough. I also like that he's a normal guy; he's confused on his words sometimes, and strikes me as very down to earth.

Dobbs is just plain :cool:.

And Newshour is a good place to hear liberal commentary.

All in all, I think what I listen to is fairly balanced, although skewed towards an American perspective.

My newspaper/online news reading is far, far, far more diverse.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#16 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 03:40 PM

CBC, generally. (null vote)

#17 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 04:05 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Aug 19 2003, 03:23 PM, said:

Same for Scarbarough. I also like that he's a normal guy; he's confused on his words sometimes, and strikes me as very down to earth.

I knew him back from Pensacola, and I personally can't stand the man.  I wouldn't call anyone a "normal guy" who's had several terms in the House of Representatives, owns a local newspaper (which is a filthy propaganda rag, IMNSHO), and engaged in some of the dirtiest mud-slinging I've ever seen in a smaller scale compaign.  And how he nearly wrecked a campaign I was working on, almost handing it to the Democratic candidate by his scathing and sexist "commentary" in his little paper.  He was also one of the rudest people I've ever served at a restaurant.  And didn't tip.

*sharply bites tongue to keep getting started even further*

:rolleyes:

So . . . umm . . . yeah . . . I don't like Joe Scarbarough. :)

[edited to elaborate]

-Nick

Edited by Nick, 19 August 2003 - 04:16 PM.

#18 Blondie

Blondie

The Peroxide Jihad

• Dead account
  • 687 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 04:16 PM

Fox for the straight dope.

CNN for immediate coverage.

Actually, if something's up,  I'll flip between CNN, Fox, and MSNBC since they are side by side on my cable system.
The ditz FKA TrancesHuggyPillow

#19 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 04:29 PM

I too null voted.

We don't have cable tv (or anything better than 'bunny ears') so I don't watch any of them.

I get all my news online and from the radio.

My online news I get from Yahoo News , CNN , The Sydney Morning Herald , news.com.au and a few more internatiomal sites including  BBC (which does seem to have an anti-Israeli bias). And then I also check out local news sites for Austin and Dallas.

'shana

#20 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 05:14 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Aug 19 2003, 01:09 PM, said:

As such, here's what I watch as often as I can:

-- No Spin Zone (O'Reilly, Fox News)
-- Scarborough Country (MSNBC)
-- Lou Dobbs (CNN)
-- Newshour (PBS)

I hate the hard news coverage of pretty much all TV. Paper media and blogs are the way to go.
:) No kidding. Very interesting.

I have the hated habit of being a constant channel changer. Mostly, after I get the day's highlights (or lows on days like today), I check in here, and check the local papers along with WSJ. If I have any time left, I argue like crazy with anybody who will listen. :ninja: I must say though, that on the days where I live in my car, I listen to local news on the radio.

Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Cable News, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users