Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

CNN, Fox News or MSNBC

Media Cable News CNN Fox News MSNBC

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Which news network do you prefer? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Which news network do you prefer?

1. CNN (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. Fox News (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

3. MSNBC (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 05:24 PM

Fox for me. Ya, I know you're all shocked.

They MIGHT have more conservative commentators than liberal ones, but even their liberals make more sense than the left-wing cowtowing sheeple on those other networks, where anything even faintly resembling conservatism must be silenced and is forbidden as evil. If you want to call Fox biased to the right, OK, since their commentators on the right might outnumber those ont he left a bit... but then the appropriate description for those others' relationship to the Left is on such a different scale of magnitude that it calls for a different word, like "servitude".

The key difference shows up not in their commentary, though, but in their raw news reporting. Those other networks simply don't have it; their servitude to the Left is so severe that it has devoured whatever journalistic integrity and honesty they might have once had years ago, so that what they now try to pass off as facts is a joke... and is even practically identical to fictional news coverage that really is intended to be either a joke or just plain eerie, like the Earth news service under Clark's reign on Babylon 5. At Fox, not only are the facts presented without the other networks' hard sharp twist to the left, but then they go out and get commentary from Leftists AND Rightists... and the fact that they dare to allow the latter to speak at all, not to mention just asking them questions instead of just outright attacking them on the air, is what's supposed to make them so shockingly conservative. :sarcasm:

With all the "conservative" accusations being levelled against the Fox network, I can't help but wonder how much more it could be turned up if we actually HAD a conservative TV network at all.

#22 FlatlandDan

FlatlandDan

Sophisticate

• Islander
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 06:28 PM

Null.

I get my news from the OT or CBC.

-Dan

:ninja:
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

#23 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 06:32 PM

Delvo, on Aug 19 2003, 03:24 PM, said:

Fox for me. Ya, I know you're all shocked.

They MIGHT have more conservative commentators than liberal ones, but even their liberals make more sense than the left-wing cowtowing sheeple on those other networks, where anything even faintly resembling conservatism must be silenced and is forbidden as evil. If you want to call Fox biased to the right, OK, since their commentators on the right might outnumber those ont he left a bit... but then the appropriate description for those others' relationship to the Left is on such a different scale of magnitude that it calls for a different word, like "servitude".

The key difference shows up not in their commentary, though, but in their raw news reporting. Those other networks simply don't have it; their servitude to the Left is so severe that it has devoured whatever journalistic integrity and honesty they might have once had years ago, so that what they now try to pass off as facts is a joke... and is even practically identical to fictional news coverage that really is intended to be either a joke or just plain eerie, like the Earth news service under Clark's reign on Babylon 5. At Fox, not only are the facts presented without the other networks' hard sharp twist to the left, but then they go out and get commentary from Leftists AND Rightists... and the fact that they dare to allow the latter to speak at all, not to mention just asking them questions instead of just outright attacking them on the air, is what's supposed to make them so shockingly conservative. :sarcasm:

With all the "conservative" accusations being levelled against the Fox network, I can't help but wonder how much more it could be turned up if we actually HAD a conservative TV network at all.
Delvo you're astonishing.

I can't really tell if you believe what you're saying or if you're going for shock value.  Either way, it's astonishing.  :eek:

:p

That said, I don't hate Fox because they're conservative, I hate them because they are hacks barely one step above the National Enquirer in their lust for sensationalist yellow journalism.

See, there's a difference.:p
Posted Image

#24 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 06:51 PM

Side Note:

Despite the fact that Fox News is slaughtering CNN, ratings-wise, it's evenly split with CNN here. At least, so far. Ergo, the respondents to this poll-- at least at this juncture-- are either skewed against Fox News or towards CNN. MSNBC has the the same small sahre one would expect, based on their ratings.

I have no idea what this means, but I thought I'd point it out.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#25 ph3n1ks

ph3n1ks

u$oft detractor

• Islander
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 06:53 PM

I cannot say that the news-media are controlled by left- or right-wing extremeists for sure. However, I can say that they are controlled by some force that taints impartialility of their coverage.

I used to watch McNeill-Lehrer on PBS. I generally don't watch the news anymore. I am tired of hearing about 'the plane crash, whilst the anchor-person's eyes gleam.' I got tired of the pundits on McNeill-Lehrer.

But this is my biggest rant against news-media. I don't need the soft-thinking, sponsor coached, bubble-headed journalist telling me what it means when a freckin bomb goes off anywhere. It means that someone detonated some explosives. Tell me the when, the where, the who. Leave the rest to me. Leave the apostolic commentary to Paul.
Support Evolution! Electrify the gene pool's fence!

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem, or just pray for peace!

#26 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 07:15 PM

Dear all:
Because of the duplicity of both sides of the congressional isle, and their running dogs. Given that the attention span of the media is so short, that they feel the need to repeat their meager nuggets of sex, scandal, and blood, with great rapidity. First I watch CNN for twenty or so minuets, followed by FOX for an additional fifteen or twenty, then I split the difference. The truth always seems to be somewhere in the middle.

To paraphrase some one historical, "What this country needs is a good five cent [centrist political party]."

Have you ever wondered why, for the poor in this country, living conditions and opportunities are getting worse. It's because without the poor the political system in this country would come to a screeching halt. The republicans would have no one to exploit and blame it all on, and the Democrats would have no one to "represent." Is like any other gerrymandering fight, is it any wonder that the ranks of the poor in this country are growing. Ah exploitation by any other name…

Hell there is even a move on to automate Mac Donald's; as the saying goes; "I defecate you not."

Sparky::
:D

#27 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 07:22 PM

Welcome to the Isle EmSparks!!

:)
Posted Image

#28 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 07:35 PM

Dear Una Salus Lillius;

Thanks

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#29 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 07:46 PM

Yes, welcome to our board emsparks :D
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#30 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:41 PM

Sparky Great to see you!!!!!!

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

gigi
aka chiron777
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#31 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 08:54 PM

emsparks, on Aug 19 2003, 08:15 PM, said:

Dear all:
Because of the duplicity of both sides of the congressional isle, and their running dogs. Given that the attention span of the media is so short, that they feel the need to repeat their meager nuggets of sex, scandal, and blood, with great rapidity. First I watch CNN for twenty or so minuets, followed by FOX for an additional fifteen or twenty, then I split the difference. The truth always seems to be somewhere in the middle.

:D
Or... you could always just come to Ex Isle OT... LOL!

HEY, Sparky! Great to see you! Welcome to the Isle!!!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#32 Laoise

Laoise

I am bounce around so well

• Islander
  • 714 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:06 PM

Null-voted.  On the very rare occasion I get my news from TV, it's from CBC Newsworld, CTV Headline, or Global.

CNN hasn't been allowed in our house since my dad heard someone on it mispronunce Ramstein ;)

Edited by Laoise, 19 August 2003 - 09:07 PM.

Being Liberal means never having to say you're Tory.

#33 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 02:31 PM

Laoise, on Aug 20 2003, 02:06 AM, said:

CNN hasn't been allowed in our house since my dad heard someone on it mispronunce Ramstein ;)
There is an epidemic of mispronunciations on CNN, and the history channel, with Fox and friends, running a close second. With the word "Absolutely" used so much in commentator to commentator conversation that it is becoming maddening. There was a time when commentators had to have journalism or English degrees, now all they have to do is look pretty, and be able to learn to speak "North American News Speak." You know I use to like our regional accents.

Edited by emsparks, 20 August 2003 - 02:37 PM.

Think!

#34 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 02:41 PM

Hey thanks one and all for the wonderful welcome,

and a special thanks to old friends.

Think!

#35 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 03:15 PM

OH and by the way I am sick and tired of CNN truncating speeches. I what to hear the raw speech, I don't want it digested, and spoon fed to me. CNN is by no means the only one guilty of this. More often then not the commentators, right or left, attributed words to the speaker, that where never spoken.

Think!

#36 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 11:13 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 19 2003, 05:32 PM, said:

Delvo you're astonishing.

I can't really tell if you believe what you're saying or if you're going for shock value.  Either way, it's astonishing.
Ya, you know how much I tend to disguise what I think.

Anyway, astonishing? Come on now, given Fox's ratings, you KNEW ther'd have to be lots of people who think similarly, so it can't really be much of a surprise!

I don't hate Fox because they're conservative, I hate them because they are hacks barely one step above the National Enquirer in their lust for sensationalist yellow journalism.

See, there's a difference.:p
In reality, ya, but I know you think they're the same thing!

#37 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 11:21 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Aug 19 2003, 05:51 PM, said:

Despite the fact that Fox News is slaughtering CNN, ratings-wise, it's evenly split with CNN here. At least, so far. Ergo, the respondents to this poll-- at least at this juncture-- are either skewed against Fox News or towards CNN.
Ya, but that was predictable, given how much the liberal posters in this forum have always seemed to outnumber the conservatives. Every forum is like that in one direction or the other...

#38 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 12:07 AM

My mother, who watches a lot of cable news, has a theory about this...

She says she checks MS-NBC first to see if there's any breaking news.

Then she checks CNN to see whether what MS-NBC is reporting actually happened.  (Apparently the reason for their speed is that they often seem unconcerned with whether their story is, technically, true ;))

Then she goes to Fox News for continuing coverage, because "they never let anything go."  :hehe:

#39 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 12:27 AM

Null vote. :barf:

Either give me BBC or PBS news over the rest of the media. Either that or give me a newspaper.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#40 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:00 AM

John Burke, on Aug 20 2003, 10:07 PM, said:

My mother, who watches a lot of cable news, has a theory about this...

She says she checks MS-NBC first to see if there's any breaking news.

Then she checks CNN to see whether what MS-NBC is reporting actually happened.  (Apparently the reason for their speed is that they often seem unconcerned with whether their story is, technically, true ;))

Then she goes to Fox News for continuing coverage, because "they never let anything go."  :hehe:
:D Sounds like a good formula.  :coolninja:

Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Cable News, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users