• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

Palisade asked me the other day what I had on my computer that could be taking up so much room.  And i am now dling some photos from my camera and then I remembered that i gave my mom a disc of Thanksgiving photos last year and she told me that each photo was HUGE (too big for email).

Personally I think that might be it.

Just e.g.  One photo I just downloaded=4.2 mb.

So...........this is it isn't it.  How do I make it so they don't take up so much space?
Posted Image

#2 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,711 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Once you dl them to your computer you can use any photo editing software, or even your Paint program to resize them to a more acceptable size. I have two free programs I use a lot-Paint.net and GIMP

Simply open each photo in the program you're using and resize.

Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

#3 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Check the settings on your camera. Change them so that the resolution is not so high. Only if you're going to do professional photographic work do you need to have the photos so large (in terms of storage space). You should easily be able to get away with at half of what you're doing now (2meg/picture). Depending on what you're doing with the photos, you might reduce it some more.

Every camera is different, so you'll have to dig into your documentation.

If you're just looking to reduce space on your computer now, follow EChatty's instructions.

But, yes, it does appear the photos are your space hog! :D
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#4 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

Free Picture Resize Starter 4.5

View PostBad Wolf, on 26 March 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

Palisade asked me the other day what I had on my computer that could be taking up so much room.  And i am now dling some photos from my camera and then I remembered that i gave my mom a disc of Thanksgiving photos last year and she told me that each photo was HUGE (too big for email).

Personally I think that might be it.

Just e.g.  One photo I just downloaded=4.2 mb.

So...........this is it isn't it.  How do I make it so they don't take up so much space?

Mark: I use this very simple program to size, re-size, and determine the amount of pixels each photo I store in my hard drive. I've found this particular program to be the very best free program for resizing pics. It also allows users to batch process entire folders of pics to your specifications. If I want all my photos to be 5 x 7's, or 8 x 11's, or if I want to increase their size to fit my hi-def 1980 x 1080 pixel monitor, the program allows me to that. It also has an easy to use crop feature (cause their is no use storing sections of photos that don't frame your target/s). That's just a waste of space to me. There are also a few other basic editing features, including brightness, contrast, sharpen (which works very well), soften, email send, rotate, and analyze.

Go to the website, download and try it out. This particular free program has worked better for resizing than many expensive high-end programs I've used! :)

Free Picture Resize Starter 4.5
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#5 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Photos take up hard disk space, not memory. Well, okay, if you view or edit a photo, it will be loaded from your hard drive into memory. When you load the photo, the program you're using to view or edit the photo may need to request extra memory from the OS. Still, it would be rare for more than a small number of your photos to be loaded into system memory at any one time. Also, photos are usually stored on the hard disk in compressed form so when they are loaded into memory, they will likely take up more memory than their size on the hard disk.

In any case, I would be very surprised if it's your photos that are eating up your computer's memory. In the other thread, I told you how to check what's using your computer's memory:

If you open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and click on the Processes tab, you can sort the programs by their memory usage. If you want to post a screenshot, Alt+PrintScrn will take a screenshot of the active window. You can paste the screenshot into Paint or Photoshop and save it to a file.

Edited by Palisade, 26 March 2011 - 07:11 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#6 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

View PostPalisade, on 26 March 2011 - 07:06 PM, said:

Photos take up hard disk space, not memory. Well, okay, if you view or edit a photo, it will be loaded from your hard drive into memory. When you load the photo, the program you're using to view or edit the program may need to request extra memory from the OS. Still, it would be rare for more than a small number of your photos to be loaded into system memory at any one time. Also, photos are usually stored on the hard disk in compressed form so when they are loaded into memory, they will likely take up more memory than their size on the hard disk.

In any case, I would be very surprised if it's your photos that are eating up your computer's memory. In the other thread, I told you how to view what's using your computer's memory:

If you open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and click on the Processes tab, you can sort the programs by their memory usage. If you want to post a screenshot, Alt+PrintScrn will take a screenshot of the active window. You can paste the screenshot into Paint or Photoshop and save it to a file.

Mark: I use, Gadwin PrintScreen.  That free program never fails me, either.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

I strongly support setting your camera to store the image as JPEG. The only real downside that is that you may have to wait a wee bit longer between shots, as the camera's processor compresses the image (depending on the software and processor in your camera) which is offset by the speed of saving the smaller files that result. I don't know how many settings your camera offers for the compression, but most do a pretty good job, if you use the preset "profiles"

I also support the suggestion, made above, that you probably shouldn't take routine photos at more than 2-5 Mpx, not matter what your camera claims to be capable of. It's an ugly secret, but more Mpx doesn't make better pictures [1].

Most programs even provide some means of automating the compression through a script. However, when you add up all the time spent at each stage -- during the photography, transferring huge files to your computer, running the script (yet another housekeeping task to forget to do), I'd say "let the camera do it" in the future. For your existing photos, though, you're stuck compressing them via a program

Hide: Orphic Answer

1. the Wide Field Camera on Hubble's ACS advanced camera system [its main "visible light" camera] consists of two 2048x4096 sensors totaling, yup -- 16 Mpx. When they want s *really* sharp visible light image, though, they use the HRC camera, which zooms a bit tighter but only generates a 1024x1024 (1 Mpx) image. When I look at a snapshot, I don't expect to be able to ascertain the exact location and time with GPS precsion from the stars in the background. Heck, if today's 15+ Mpxl cameras could even *deliver* an optically perfect 15 Mpx, we'd probably be able to do CSI-like crime-solving with ordinary vacation photos taken from the other side of SF Bay

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

I've tried the alt/print screen thing and it doesn't seem to do anything.
Posted Image

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

HAH!  Okay.  Screen cap coming.  Soon.

Attached Images

• processes screen cap.JPG

Posted Image

#10 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:46 AM

Edit: Okay, I see you got the screenshot grab to work at about the same time I started writing a more detailed explanation about how to do it.

Edited by Palisade, 27 March 2011 - 12:48 AM.

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Yeah.  Thanks.

So, what do you think?
Posted Image

#12 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:10 AM

^ It doesn't seem too bad other than Firefox being a memory hog. Plugin-container.exe is a Firefox process so Firefox is using up 120MB of memory. You seem to have less than 200MB of memory being used total by all running processes (including the Windows XP operating system processes). Of course, Firefox seems to be the only program you have open other than the Windows processes and some other small stuff. It's possible Windows XP has preloaded some programs you use a lot into physical memory to try to make them open faster so you could be using more of your memory than it looks like from the process list. Unfortunately, if Windows prefetches too many things, it can cause hard disk thrashing, which degrades performance. Try this tweak to empty the prefetch folder. The short version is to just go to C:\Windows\Prefetch and delete everything in that folder. Then reboot your computer. The first boot, Windows should rebuild the prefetch files it uses to speed up the system boot.

If deleting the files in the prefetch folder helped system performance, you may want to change the Windows prefetch setting. The article has a section near the end that shows how to do this. Changing the prefetch setting to 2 might work better than changing it to 0 since that way Windows will still use prefetch to speed up the system boot. Setting prefetch to 2 should still stop Windows from trying to preload frequently used programs.

Also, try defragging your hard disk. With the Windows XP disk defragmenter, it's best to close all open windows and do the defrag sometime when you're not using your computer.

Edit: clarified a couple things

Edited by Palisade, 27 March 2011 - 02:49 AM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

You should get a copy of Photoshop. For me, it's a BIG help. (But then again, I'm an artist, so I HAVE to use it. :p )
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

I did the prefetch thing and now my available physical memory is LESS.

I'll try a defrag some time today.

Attached Images

• system information.JPG

Posted Image

#15 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

^ Did you just delete the prefetch files? Or did you change the preset setting?

Memory usage can fluctuate and vary depending on system load so I'd be more concerned with whether the change helps your system's sluggishness and other problems. BTW, you said that your system freezes. Is this a lock-up that requires a reboot or does the computer just seem to stop responding for a few seconds?

If you changed the prefetch setting and decide that it doesn't help, you can change it back to 3 or whatever it was. I'd give it a few days though.

You're using up over twice the memory that should be required for your processes, and I'm not sure what's causing that if it's not the Windows prefetch.

Anyway, it's definitely not photos that are taking up your computer's memory (although your photos may be occupying a large amount of hard disk space).

FKA:

#16 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

FTR, the sluggishness=much better.

So I followed the instructions in that article (which I'm bookmarking because it's very helpful) and here's what I have...

Attached Images

• Registry editor screen cap.JPG

Posted Image

#17 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

And when I go to the local machine-system folder here is what I get:

Attached Images

• registry system screen.JPG

Posted Image

#18 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

^ The registry key is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters".

Since HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is already expanded, the next thing you need to do is expand the "SYSTEM" subtree by clicking on the "+" next to "SYSTEM". This should expand that tree, which is now collapsed, and allow you to then expand "CurrentControlSet". If you keep going like this, after several iterations, you should get to "PrefetchParameters".

Edit: corrected post to reflect the fact that the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree is already expanded.

Edited by Palisade, 27 March 2011 - 01:21 PM.

FKA:

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

K, I actually managed to find it (you must understand: for me this is an accomplishment) and I changed it from 3 to 2.  We'll see what happens.

In the meantime I still think I'm going to get that second bit of memory.  And learn how to re-size photos.

Now, I just need to find out how to make it so I can play Stone Loops of Jurassica again.  It keeps saying "you need hard drive acceleration"  I looked it up and already adjusted it a bit.  But now I'm gonna google so I can (possibly) figure out specifically what I need for this game.  It wouldn't be a big deal except that I did "pay" for this game so I want it to work (and it used to).
Posted Image

#20 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

^ I have never heard of hard drive acceleration.

FKA:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users