1 reply to this topic

#1 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

http://washingtonexa...nses-romneycare

There's no doubt that states should have flexibility over their own health care systems and that a state mandate does not raise the same constitutional questions as a federal one. Yet when governors run for office, we evaluate them based on the policies they enacted as state executives. If states are laboratories of democracy, governors should be judged by the experiments that they initiate. If Romney passed ambitious state tax or education reforms, he'd be running ads touting them. Similarly, he'll no doubt be criticizing his primary opponents for their own governing records. If Romney were to get away with the federalism dodge in this instance, it would render the process of vetting presidential candidates who served as governor virtually meaningless, because they could respond to any unpopular aspect of their records simply by disavowing the same policies at the national level.

The bottom line: Political analysts keep saying that Romney will have to find a way to address the health care issue. But the reality is, he has no coherent defense to offer and it's too late to disavow the law. As I've written before, Romney's only hope is to simply survive the issue by attrition, hoping that the primary electorate's attention is diverted elsewhere and that no viable alternative emerges.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 12 April 2011 - 08:37 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#2 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

These seem to be more like the "Top 5 Failed Defenses of Romney's Involvement with RomneyCare."

How well has the program worked? I've read that it costs more than anticipated and has driven up the cost of health insurance, but other than that I don't know much about it except that it's basically similar to ObamaCare.

Edited by Palisade, 12 April 2011 - 04:46 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, RomneyCare, Failures, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users